• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with DSLR (1 Viewer)

TrevorAust

Hi All
I have a Sony Alpha 580 and would like to be able to digiscope with my Nikon ED Fieldscope fitted with a zoom eyepiece. Can anyone suggest a suitable adapter?
Thanks
Trevor
trevor dot austin at outlook dot com

Hi All
I have a Sony Alpha 580 and would like to be able to digiscope with my Nikon ED Fieldscope fitted with a zoom eyepiece. Can anyone suggest a suitable adapter?
Thanks
Trevor
Hi Trevor

To use a Nikon scope with a DSLR you will need to substitute the zoom eyepiece with a Nikon DSLR adapter (and of course add a Nikon/Sony adapter ring).

The DSLR digiscoping adapter that Nikon are selling is this one. Nikon FSA-L1. It is pretty expensive, unfortunately.

I use an older model from Nikon, a precessor that goes under the name "Nikon Camera Attachment for Fieldscopes 7468". It is a much cheaper alternative and does the same job as FSA-L1, but is probably no longer available by now.

/Tord

Hi All
Thanks
Trevor

I have a good combination for sale zeiss scope with slr adaptor...with Sony adaptor

A couple of years ago I bought the adaptor so that I could use my Sony 580 DSLR with my Swarovski scope as I could not get on well with focusing using compact camera screens - especially in bright light (which you really do need for digiscoping!).
It seemed an excellent idea at first as I could obviously focus quite accurately but, I soon found that the set up was very cumbersome to move; not too bad if you were in one position for some time taking pictures but, not good for using in conjunction with my usual birding trips. I also felt that the camera perched on the end of the 150mm adaptor put rather too much stress on the mount, where it attached to the scope, especially when walking with the rig set up.

All in all this, for me anyway, was an expensive mistake as the adapter and scope rail (which is also desirable for balancing the camera/scope on the tripod) set me back over £600.00

Regards, Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back