• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More appalling service from Leica (1 Viewer)

3 times my APO 77 coatings have gone, the first 2 times were repaired by Leica UK in double quick time. This last time I daren't send back because I don't want the battle and will probably sell.

Shame, because I love the scope....

3 times my APO 77 coatings have gone, the first 2 times were repaired by Leica UK in double quick time. This last time I daren't send back because I don't want the battle and will probably sell.

is this problem also on the newer televids 65mm and 82 mm scopes ??

Hi All

I have in the last 15 years owned 2 leica scopes (televid 77 and APO televid 62), and 1 pair of leica 8x32BA’s that I still use to this day.

Like many on here I have had problems with leica over the years, my bins have been back 3 times (stiff focussing), my televid 77 went back once (lumpy and stiff focussing), and my APO 62 has been back 2 times in 5 years for new objective lens coating !

I have to be honest, in the early days when I dealt with leica I found them to be rather officious and unhelpful. More recently (the last 5 years or so) the tone of conversations I’ve had with them have been a little more helpful and things have been collected, repaired and delivered for free, although on a couple of occasions it has taken months !!

Most recently, the 2nd time my APO 62 came back with a new objective lens fitted I was concerned about the coating problem so I fitted a filter to cut down on the amount I would need to clean it.

Imagine my annoyance when for the 3rd time the coating on this APO 62 scope started coming off again this summer (despite fitting the filter and reduced cleaning).

Now this is where this tale takes an unexpected turn......

I wrote a polite but firm e-mail to leica uk saying that I was very disappointed with this re-occurring problem and that I considered the equipment was not fit for purpose. Expecting an e-mail back to tell me about a waiting list for repairs, resulting in no scope for part of the autumn etc... I was gobsmacked to get a phone call from their office in London with a quick solution to the problem, they offered me an “ex demo” leica APO 65 from their showroom as a direct swap for my failing 62 !

Before agreeing to this I needed a quick field test with the 65 to see how it compared to my 62 (in particular how my camera would work with it for digiscoping). I did this over the following few weeks, and it seemed fine, so I called them back and agreed to the swap.

After a couple of further e-mails to negotiate a stay on case as part of the swap (as I have one on my 62), I came into work this morning to find a brand new 65 APO, eyepiece and leica stay on case sat on my desk !!

Having dealt with leica for years I never thought I would say this, but.......In this particular instance, I am very impressed with their customer care. They’ve swapped and upgraded my scope and case for free. The apparently “ex demo” scope and case supplied appear to be absolutely mint in unopened factory packaging. You really can’t fault that can you !!

So, while I agree with much of what has been said, my recent positive experience has slightly changed my view of leica. Not sure if they have new management or something ?

I really hope for everyone who owns these expensive leica optics that this is the start of the better customer service that we all deserve.

I'm glad I didn't bid on the one you've just sold on eBay.

As an owner of Ultravid 10x42 (2007) and a Apo 77 Scope (2003) that I love this thread has made me cack my pants that these issues with Leica are ongoing.

I had a Apo 62 in 2003 that went back several times with coating issues though Gary and his manager were always helfpul and all repairs were FOC. I was eventaully given a credit note refund by WE. The Apo 77 I bought slighly after the 62 has, touch wood, been fine and the optical image on the 32x are breathtaking (really !).

I have a pair of Swaro EL's I was going to punt on but reading this thread makes me think I'll hang on to them. Swarovski Customer Service is second to none.

Services in North America

Bought a Televid 82 in Canada recently, drop it on the ground and send it to the seller to handle it: Was sent to a US Leica Service center (Had the Eyecup broken and Cant get the Eyepice out). Received it back (to my surprise) about Week later......So far, Only have good comments on servicing....Hope not to have to sent any Piece of Equipment back for repairing tough.
Denis

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back