• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Should I have humiliated the twitcher? Have you? (1 Viewer)

George, none of these features are diagnostic though. Svensson says they can be inseparable from Dudas in the field.

Last edited:
George, none of these features are diagnostic though. Svensson says they can be inseparable from Dudas in the field.

It has been thought for a while that doods (aka dudas?) are outcompeting hardcore twitchers in field situations. Certainly there has been a marked decline in the latter group since the mid-80's. The BTO added them to the Red List not long ago I believe.

Not sure if it's down to inbreeding/outbreeding or inappropriate age-group recruitment ...

Funny you should say that,was talking to a guy the other day in a hide and he was saying that the big twitches don't get the numbers they used to,not sure if that's true as I never attended any more than 8 years or so ago,he also said though that he thought there were more birders now than back then???

I remember talking to a well known local twitcher from our parts about the bill oldie little black book,he told me that oldie was a buffoon who didn't know what he was talking about.Couldnt quite understand it as I always liked bill

Birding politics? Heard the same dismissive stuff said about Mark Cocker's 'Tales of a tribe' another attempt to discuss birders in print.

Of course in terms of comedy/presenting Mr Oddie isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea.

Funny you should say that,was talking to a guy the other day in a hide and he was saying that the big twitches don't get the numbers they used to,not sure if that's true as I never attended any more than 8 years or so ago,he also said though that he thought there were more birders now than back then???

Don't have the statistics, or the direct experience, but yes, believe this to be true (eg thousands on the Scillies every autumn - compared to a few hundred these years).

Last edited:
Golf and sailing spring to mind....

I went to college for Visual Art and the few times I mentioned that I liked wildlife/nature photography I was laughed at. It wasn't 'avant garde' and was viewed as mundane; not thought provoking or challenging. The aim of artistic expression was built around challenging pre-conceived notions, various social issues and political issues which is all just fine (It broadened my thinking and I learned of the power of art). But ... I still love wildlife and nature art and don't think any less of it :)

Last edited:
I remember going into school aged 12 and saying I went birdwatching at the weekend,an hour later I was being pelted with things in the playground,called all sorts etc,sadly for me,that experience somehow put me off birding to an extent,I kept my hobby quiet but soon after started playing badminton which pretty much ruined my birding as I was playing all weekends,eventually my birding stopped and I didn't start again till a few years ago although I guess in my own way I still birded looking at birds while walking around,being driven etc

I remember going into school aged 12 and saying I went birdwatching at the weekend,an hour later I was being pelted with things in the playground,called all sorts etc,sadly for me,that experience somehow put me off birding to an extent,I kept my hobby quiet but soon after started playing badminton which pretty much ruined my birding as I was playing all weekends,eventually my birding stopped and I didn't start again till a few years ago although I guess in my own way I still birded looking at birds while walking around,being driven etc

Jeez that's horrible...kids can be cruel (learn it from their parents for the most part).
Yeah, I think many of us were always looking at birds before we ever purchased a decent pair of glasses, the field guides, etc.

I got over it,it was just playground stuff,nothing too nasty.A year or so later I was one of the biggest in my year and good at sports so you tended to get left alone

Many of my friends, while bored senseless if I start talking about birds, are obviously envious I have a passion that keeps me out of trouble...

Anyway, I think think John and Dan hit the Twitcher - I mean nail - on the head (with the tripod;)

Funny thing is,many of those involved that day are my friends,either in real life or on Facebook and most constantly ask me questions about birds,a couple have even been out with me

I remember talking to a well known local twitcher from our parts about the bill oldie little black book,he told me that oldie was a buffoon who didn't know what he was talking about.Couldnt quite understand it as I always liked bill
Probably the same bloke George ran into! So which first for Britain has this "well known local twitcher" found and was it as tricky as Pallas's Reed Bunting? Whatever you think of Bill, he is certainly no dude. I once mentioned him to some very seasoned twitchers who had been at it since the 70s. They dissed him too, but not because of any lack of expertise. They had him condemned to eternal damnation for not broadcasting (i.e. suppressing) the presence of some bird - a Black-eared Wheatear, I think.

The Little Black Bird Book is an absolute classic and still quite the funniest birding book I've ever read, but it has a distinct period flavour these days. It doesn't really reflect today's twitching scene at all.

I once was talking to a gent at Insh marshes. He had all the Swarovski gear going and, to me, came across as a bit cock sure. Despite having all the gear and apparently having seen everything under the sun he did insist on referring to Ptarmigan as "Parmigan". I didn't say anything as I drew the conclusion he wasn't going to listen to anyone using lowly Pentax zoom bins.

Rich

Last edited:
I once was talking to a gent at Insh marshes. He had all the Swarovski gear going and, to me, came across as a bit cock sure. Despite having all the gear and apparently having seen everything under the sun he did insist on referring to Ptarmigan as "Tarmigan". I didn't say anything as I drew the conclusion he wasn't going to listen to anyone using lowly Pentax zoom bins.

Rich

Seriously, I thought that "tarmigan" was the correct way to pronounce it?!

..reminds me of my first "rare bird find" at the age of 13 - a Grey falarafee... ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back