• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can a peregrine at a distance have a white chin? (2 Viewers)

maplekong

Well Known For Being Inexperienced Member
England
I was at the peak district today, and saw two raptors. One was too far away, and the other was at a distance. The one at a distance, seen through binoculars (but still far away) had all dark upperparts, and underparts, apart from chin/chest (too far away) not particularly long-tailed. Rather robust, so I'm thinking this could be a peregrine? I don't think I will put it down, just get an idea- can a peregrine have all dark underparts from a distance apart from a white chin/chest? Any help would be appreciated, sorry for the vague description.

Peregrine can have that white chin, dark underside look from a distance - especially youngsters which tend to be darker overall. Lighting conditions can also play a part in how a bird appears.

Did you think it had a falcon structure? If so then it could also be a hobby or merlin, they all show a 'white chin' imo. However if it was large then I think you can be quite confident with a peregrine. During a visit to cumbria I had a peregrine in a dispute with two kestrels- very cool to see. Have you see any ospreys?

During a visit to cumbria I had a peregrine in a dispute with two kestrels- very cool to see. Have you see any ospreys?
That sounds veeerry cool. Did you get it on video? No ospreys yet, my family are not up for the long walks in the Lake District.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back