• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (66 Viewers)

The 'Pied' Arrows?

In aircraft parlez an undercarriage 'down' flypast is know as a........'dirty' pass/flyby. It'll be interesting to see which spp wins - photographically speaking that is.

Laurie:t:

Power company guys working on a fault caused by tree coming down over lines near the reserve. Working on the pole left of east (Lapwing) hide for the next 2 hours or so I'm told. What birds there were have lifted away from islands.

Rob

Power company guys working on a fault caused by tree coming down over lines near the reserve. Working on the pole left of east (Lapwing) hide for the next 2 hours or so I'm told. What birds there were have lifted away from islands.

Rob

It would appear that everything is being thrown at the birds of Upton at present including, a double pronged attack from the utility companies and dare I say even the police helicopter chipped in the other day, with a very low prolonged hovering session over the Moors. Have a word with your mates Ian:-O
Oh yes I forgot to add, plus the worst March weather for 50 years. We deserve a good spell of birding and weather after all this8-P

passerine movement

I have just had a mixed flock of c500 redwing /starlings rapidly move through eastwards low over my house. There has not been anywhere near this number locally all winter, so birds obviously affected by the harsh weather. Hopefully some movement at Upton.
My all dayer tomorrow at Upton was going to be an early spring one. I think it will now be labelled a late winter job. 8-P Hopefully there will be some cold weather movement. Hope some one will join me to keep me company or even warm8-P john

I have just had a mixed flock of c500 redwing /starlings rapidly move through eastwards low over my house. There has not been anywhere near this number locally all winter, so birds obviously affected by the harsh weather. Hopefully some movement at Upton.
My all dayer tomorrow at Upton was going to be an early spring one. I think it will now be labelled a late winter job. 8-P Hopefully there will be some cold weather movement. Hope some one will join me to keep me company or even warm8-P john

John a large flock of Redwing lifted off from the fields behind the east hide when the guys got up the pole. Estimate 200-300 in front of hide probably many more behind. Your flock maybe. Plus flock of Goldfinch 50+ with Redpoll + Chaffinch mixed in. Redpoll 30-40 earlier on east track.

Rob

Be Aware

The Hen Brook at the Flashes is bank high & rising (6in at least in the 2 hours I was there) so is likely to flood tonight/tomorrow. Hen Brook hide bridge under water already. Don't get trapped!

Rob

Off topic a little I think I may have found were the Lapwings are currently feeding just after Belbroughton Rail station heading towards Stourbridge there are 3 small pools one a old water mill pool the field directly behind this pool was covered in Lapwings first time I have noticed Lapwings in this location it usually only has a few mallards and gulls at most.

Crikey Adrian you had me worried there for a while! |:S|
Have lived in Belbroughton all my life (and family goes back generations before that) and never knew we had a rail station - so glad you cleared it up quickly!!:-O Might take a look at Blakedown though! Lou

Crikey Adrian you had me worried there for a while! |:S|
Have lived in Belbroughton all my life (and family goes back generations before that) and never knew we had a rail station - so glad you cleared it up quickly!!:-O Might take a look at Blakedown though! Lou

He he...lived in West heath all my life and I would not be surprised in the slightest to find it had a Rail station...I am always the last to know anything.....:gh:

Keith :t:

Flock of 300 plus redwings, 150 plus fieldfares and about 50 starlings at Earlswood yesterday.

Late afternoon...........14 avocets on the Flashes. Hen Brook still rising.

Just stumbled across this tweet relating to last Sunday:

"Carole Solazzo ‏@CaroleSolazzo 18 Mar 17/3/12 W Midlands: First chiffchaff at Upton Warren. Four avocets, snipe, poss linnets. Wheatear in fields"

Lovely warm, sunny day on the reserve today! 8-P Well the sun did come out for a few minutes, saw what the weather was like & went back in. Bitter wind especially so at the Flashes & strong enough to get the Avocet hide rocking a little.

Water level 0.52. Shelduck 2, Avocet 15 (16 reported earlier) Curlew 12, Teal 4, BHG c 45, LBBG 1, C. Geese 2, Greylag 2, Mallard 5, Coot 4. Raven.

No overall count at moors but fairly quiet with few birds. Notables C. Snipe 2. Teal 2, Gadwall 2, Shelduck 2, L.Grebe 1. Oycs 4 (2prs). Kingfisher. Kestrel. Water Rail. Sizeable flock of Goldfinch on east track c 40 & also Redpoll c 35. Large flock of Redwing (c 200) put up by Power workers.

Couple of pics:

1. Avocet
2. Unknown species of Treecreeper!
2. Avocet feeding close in to hide with tasty? morsel. Think it may be a bit of reed stem.

Rob

Attachments

• _ROB1559 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB1559 - Version 2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 97
  • _ROB1272.jpg
    _ROB1272.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 94
  • _ROB1400 - Version 2.jpg
    _ROB1400 - Version 2.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 96
Presumably one of the fields around the Flashes? Wonder which one?

I would suspect the transmitter field - cant ever recall seeing one in the field behind the third flash and only rarely behind the first flash (usually when its ploughed). Anything in the log book?

John at the moors getting movements of winter thrushes and Mipits. I'm on the Flashes. 5 Dunlin feeding on the islands and 12 Avocets. Pretty bleak out there but water not frozen at least.

John at the moors getting movements of winter thrushes and Mipits. I'm on the Flashes. 5 Dunlin feeding on the islands and 12 Avocets. Pretty bleak out there but water not frozen at least.

Thats a good Dunlin count for this time of year. Could easily be something mixed in with those pipits and thrushes; gizza call for a Eyebrowed or Dusky (actually a Ring Ouzel will do me). Unlikely to venture south to UW today given the amount of snow in Sutton.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back