• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (137 Viewers)

Spring 2013! At least the jumpers finished (for those who know what I'm on about!!!), Sunshine and warmer weather now a strong possibility. :t:

Attachments

• IMG_5448a.jpg
    IMG_5448a.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_5502a.jpg
    IMG_5502a.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_5506a.jpg
    IMG_5506a.jpg
    397.3 KB · Views: 91
Sunday 24th March

Grim again today with a biting NE wind and snow flurries; the temperature had crept up to -1C by the time I had left:

SAILING POOL
10 GC Grebe, 2 Coot, 2 Tufted Duck, 2 Canada Geese, 5 Mallard

FLASHES - water level 0.58
Only 9 Avocet, 6 Moorhen, 9 Coot, 2 Oystercatcher, 15 Curlew, c150 BH Gull, 2 LBB Gull, 2 Shelduck, 5 Mallard, 21 Canada Geese, good continued passage of Meadow Pipit.
Small group of 4 Pied Wagtail, 8 Meadow Pipits and a Chiffchaff feeding on the southern and western shores of the second Flash.

MOORS POOL
2 Shelduck, 16 Teal, 13 Shoveler, 2 Pochard (m+f), 28 Tufted Duck, 4 Gadwall (2 pairs), 6 Cormorant, 4 GC Grebe, 2 Little Grebe, 6 Canada Geese, 2 Mute Swan, 1 Grey Heron, 41 Coot, 7 Moorhen, c200 BH Gull, 1 LBB Gull, 1 Herring Gull, 17 Snipe, 7 Water Rail (3 south of the east hide, 1 feeding station, 1 concrete hide, 2 calling north of the east hide), Kingfisher, plenty of Redwing and Fieldfare, Jay, Kestrel, Pheasant, Sparrowhawk, 15 Lesser Redpoll, Green + GS Woodpecker, 2 Chiffchaff feeding on near edge of Amy's Marsh.
Good movement of passerines - Skylark, more Meadow Pipits, Grey Wagtail.
Busy on the feeding station with 8-10 Greenfinch, similar number of Reed Buntings, 4-5 Chaffinch, 4 Dunnock, 2 Bullfinch, Great / LT / Blue Tits, Pheasant and a calling Chiffchaff.
Also plenty of birds around the North Moors - mainly winter thrushes and finches but flushed a WOODCOCK from right of the path having passed through the spindle clump (I see that Dave also had one this morning down at Coney Meadows). Well worth walking the North Moors this time of year; could easily be more Woodcock, SE Owl roosting in the rank vegetation, interesting pipits in the wet areas etc.

Last edited:
Adult Med Gull and 2 Jack Snipe on the Moors - an overly cropped and overly sharpened pic of the Med Gull to get the number on the leg ring which reads PNU4. Now let's find out where this beauty was ringed!

Attachments

• IMGP2162_edited-1.jpg
    IMGP2162_edited-1.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Adult Med Gull and 2 Jack Snipe on the Moors - an overly cropped and overly sharpened pic of the Med Gull to get the number on the leg ring which reads PNU4. Now let's find out where this beauty was ringed!

Leave it with me Gert - not a code that has been recorded at UW before

This is a Polish scheme as per many of the Med ringing records at UW

Last edited:
Nothing unusual by the time I arrived at 13.30. The Med Gull had departed and there was no sign of Woodcock around the North Moors or in the Education Reserve. Two Jack Snipes eventually showed in the south-east islands in front of the east hide.

On the Moors Pool Shovelers had increased to 17 and Tufted Ducks to 30, whilst there were 12 GCGs on the Sailing Pool (plus four on Moors), where the pair of Tufted Duck remained. A Chiffchaff around the area of cut reeds on the Moors causeway was my only year-tick of the weekend.

Nothing unusual by the time I arrived at 13.30. The Med Gull had departed and there was no sign of Woodcock around the North Moors or in the Education Reserve. Two Jack Snipes eventually showed in the south-east islands in front of the east hide.

On the Moors Pool Shovelers had increased to 17 and Tufted Ducks to 30, whilst there were 12 GCGs on the Sailing Pool (plus four on Moors), where the pair of Tufted Duck remained. A Chiffchaff around the area of cut reeds on the Moors causeway was my only year-tick of the weekend.

And still NO lapwing:-C

The Woodcock flew out of the North Moors, across the pony paddock but seem to double back behind the plantation

This weekend's sightings have moved the year list on to 101 and March's total on to 93. I wonder, with some good coverage over the Easter weekend and hopefully more Spring-like weather, if we could break 100 for the month.

Out of interest, when I drove past the Moors on the A38 this evening the regular Kestrel was hovering 10 feet over the kerb to the left and dropping down to catch something to the extent I had to swerve to avoid it. As did cars behind me. It must be desperate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back