• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

'Cool' Birding Destination (1 Viewer)

Darren Oakley-Martin

I've saved up enough cash to be able to afford a dream birding holiday. About £3000, (€4400). But I'm not sure where to go. The criteria is this:

1. It can't be too hot, (I cease to function in the heat).
2. I want to see the maximum number of birds as possible, (obviously), but I have a particular fondness for warblers.
3. Preferably, the surroundings will be pleasant, not a war-zone, the locals friendly, and the food and drink delightful.

So, I don't want much then!! Anyone have any bright ideas? Tips for places to stay or go and what I may find there would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

Old or New world warblers? If the latter is acceptable consider catching migration at Point Pelee in Ontario-this could probably be combined with other birding spots in S.E Canada/ N.E. USA. Even mid May is probably too early to head up to Churchill, Manitoba though combining this & Point Pelee would be a very sweet birding trip! ;)
For example try: www.nature.org/initiatives/programs/birds/animals/pointpelee.html

Last edited:
The end of April is pretty early for warblers that far north. You would be better looking at New England or further south at that time of year in my opinion if you are looking for new world warblers.

If it's the old world you want then Turkey would be very good in spring, with lots of warblers going through on migration as well as breeding and stacks of other species. As good a place as there is in the Western Palearctic and it's friendly, easy to get around and relatively cheap. In fact you'd probably have some change left over from your three grand - or you could pay for a few of us to come with you ;)

Thinking about it, I think I'd want to stay in Europe. Don't want to confuse myself with totally new birds, (and I'm easily confused). Maybe could leave it til mid-lateMay. I'm just impatient to get away thats all.

Thanks all for your ideas!

Andrew, Wouldn't Turkey be a hit hot that time of year?

There's always Lesvos in April-no shortage of Warblers to get to grips with including a few wee(big) sweeties such as Olive tree, Ruppells, Eastern Olivaceous, E. Orphean, E. Bonelli's. In April it's warm rather than hot. Donana area in late April is another possibility-not usually too hot -good variety of Warblers, lots of Raptors, breeding Herons, Marsh Terns, end of wader passage with likelihood of summer plumage Curlew Sand., Spot. Red., lots of other good stuff such as Pratincoles, Pintail Sandgrouse, Marbled duck,etc etc. Cheap flights to Malaga, excellent new & cheap campsite in El Rocio.............think I'll book up myself! ;)

Turkey wouldn't be too bad usually in April/ early May. I'm not a big fan of the heat either and I was okay in spring most of the time. It's probably unlikely to be more than 25 degrees C in most places. If you go up to the Black Sea coast or into the mountains then it could easily be pretty chilly but you'll have Green Warbler, Mountain Chiffchaff, Olivaceous Warbler, Barred Warbler etc for company.

FWIW Darren, I've always fancied a trip to Bulgaria (not that i'm suggesting you pay for me to go!) Not sure what's there mind (can't be too dissimilar to Turkey though?)
But that's probably just me being ever so slightly non-conformist (old habits die hard! ;) )
Course if you did go end of April you'd miss the "Jolly Boys Outing" on the N.Norfolk coast :eek!:

SimonC said:
FWIW Darren, I've always fancied a trip to Bulgaria (not that i'm suggesting you pay for me to go!) Not sure what's there mind (can't be too dissimilar to Turkey though?)
But that's probably just me being ever so slightly non-conformist (old habits die hard! ;) )
Course if you did go end of April you'd miss the "Jolly Boys Outing" on the N.Norfolk coast :eek!:

Bulgaria Simon?

That'll be your moustache fetish mate.

Darren, if this is to be your Dream Once In A Lifetime Holiday... get out of Europe!!!!

I understand what you mean about the worry of too many new birds, but (and I don't want to play down your warbler fetish) spend your three grand on something a bit more adventurous!!!!

With the joys of budget flights, you can get around Europe for loads less than £3K.

If you want English, then try the States or Canada (not that I've been to either).

If I'd got your three grand, I'd be sorting out a trip to New Zealand and Australia, matey!!!!

GO FOR IT!!!

Hi Darren.

Why not try southern Spain in mid-April to mid-May. Spend a few days in Tarifa watching the raptor migration (kites, eagles, harriers, vultures) as well as passerines.
Follow this up with a few days in Donana for all the goodies suggested by Steve G. ie. Glossy Ibis, Purple Heron, Little Bittern, Squacco and Night Herons, Red-knobbed Coots, Marbled Ducks, Pin-tailed Sandgrouse, Iberian (Azure-winged) Magpies, Bee-eaters, Greater and Lesser Short-toed Larks, Calandras, etc. together with Subalpine, Spectacled, Cetti's, Savi's, Willow, Sedge, Olivaceous, Melodious, Reed and Great Reed, Moustached, Dartford, and Fan-tailed (Zitting Cisticolas) Warblers.
Then move on to Extremadura and Monfrague for Great and Little Bustards, Black-bellied Sandgrouse, Monk and Egyptian Vultures, Spanish Imperial, Bonelli's and Golden Eagles, Black Storks, Eagle Owls, Blue Rock Thrush, Rollers, Great Spotted cuckoos, Golden Orioles, Rock Buntings, Rock and Spanish Sparrows, etc.
Two weeks would probably cost you half your proposed budget and the food, wine, beer and company is first class. Oh, and the birding's ok too.

Regards.
John.

Spread your wings, Darren, and get out of Europe.

You could make to Australia with that sort of budget but you might be stretching it a bit. Why not some where in Africa. South Africa is wonderful and safe (I think), and Botswana is marvelous and was very safe when I was there. Kenya and Tanzania have incredible birds but I'd only go there on an organised tour with local drivers and guides which would be very expensive.

What about New Guinea and all the wonderful Birds of Paradise?

You can travel around Europe by train and stay in Backpackers hostels for much less than 3 thou or do you want to stay in first class hotels?

Wow, now I'm suffering from 'option paralysis'!

I still think it has to be Europe so as not to confuse myself, and it mustn't be HOT. Can't stand the heat.

I'm erring towards several cheaper trips now. But Spain and Turkey are looking favourites so far. Paella, yummee.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back