• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A month in Australia (1 Viewer)

DMW

I'm hoping to spend about a month birding in Australia next year (March / April), starting and finishing in Sydney. I would prefer to concentrate on the SE corner, possibly heading up the E coast as far as Cairns.

Two questions:

1. Anybody interested in joining me and sharing costs (I intend to hire a car and mostly camp)?

2. What are the must-do sites? I've read plenty of trip reports, but it's always interesting to hear opinions on places that really impressed (or disappointed!) I've not birded in Oz before.

Cheers
Duncan

Hi Duncan,

two sites you could try are http://bird-o.com/

and

http://www.birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/AUSB.html

and if you're into pelagics a Wollongong pelagic is not to be missed http://www.sossa-international.org/

I'd definitly recomend Cairns as its good for both birds and mammals and there isn't to much driving to be done compared to some parts of the country.

Around Sydney there are some good spots, the Royal National Park, Barren Grounds, Blue Mountains and further inland you have the Capertee Vally. To get to some dryer country I'd recomend heading NW to the Warren area or SW to Binya/Cocoparra or even as far as Lake Cargelligo. Terrick Terrick in northern Victoria would also be worth a visit for Plains Wanderer. Most of these places you can camp at and the summer heat should have passed by then.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Hi Rob

Many thanks for the suggestions. Plains Wanderer is certainly on the wanted list. I'm also keen to look for Ground Parrot, so Barren Grounds is on the "to do" list.

Cheers
Duncan

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason why you will be starting and finishing in Sydney? On my first trip to Oz we wanted to see Sydney but main reason for visit was family in Brisbane, so we flew into Brisbane, spent 2 weeks there and drove down to Sydney via Blue Mountains in final week.

If you fly in to one and out of the other, you'll save an awful lot of travelling and have more time at sites en route, and I don't think the flight cost is all that much more. Hire car should also not be a problem if using one of the larger firms with airport presence.

It might even be worth looking into a flight between Cairns and Brisbane, so you could arrive Sydney, drive north and leave the car at Cairns. This would maximise birding time!

Hi Mark

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm flying on a RTW ticket, and I'm not sure whether I can fly into Sydney and out of Brisbane.

Cheers
Duncan

I can certainly recommend Cairns as the most avian biodiverse part of Aus.

One thing you must remember of course is the distances involved. Factor in say, three days for driving between Brissie and Cairns, more if you include more birding stops. With only a month, I would seriously consider doing a bit of flying to save a lot of time.

We did Oz on a RTW ticket, flying into Perth and out of Melbourne so it shouldn't be a problem if you sort it early enough. Where are you going afterwards? If it was me doing it I'd fly into Sydney and out of Cairns......good birding up north!! Barren Grounds is good and there's a little pull in just up the main road where you can pull the car off and sleep in....just hnope the weather's better for you than it was for me!!

Best birds on earth. Everywhere is great. From Cairns - make sure you get up to 'King Fisher Park'. A nice place to spend the night. I still have memories of lunches in Mount Malloy. Great Bowerbirds everywhere. Quaint nice town.

Bunya Park and Lamington Park. Both nice spots.

My buddy and I had a hoot up in Iron Range Park. Bit out of the way though.

My wife and I have friends 2 hours north of Brisbane. Their garden birds are fantastic.

We were just south of Darwin for a week this summer. Came down from Indonesia. So nice to be back in Australia. A truly great country. Timeless, mannerly, amazing flora and fauna.

I'm flying on a RTW ticket, and I'm not sure whether I can fly into Sydney and out of Brisbane.

Generally, so long as you don't go 'backwards', it will be permitted - eg. on an eastward RTW, flying into Perth, out of Sydney would be allowed, but into Sydney, out of Perth would not, etc.

Bird places in Australia

If you travel inland a bit and go to Inverell,NSW., you could visit the Inverell lake and see a variety of species. Only a short distance away is Copeton Dam. On the opposite side of the dam from the official camping reserve there is a good bird area, where you can see a variety of birds.

Plumheaded,doublebar,diamond firetail,red-browed finches. Mistletoebirds, silvereyes,songlarks,bushlarks,pipits,apostlebirds, w/w choughs, butcherbirds, woodswallows, cuckoo-shrikes, magpie-larks, several flycatchers, whistlers, shrike-thrushes, shrike-tits, robins, fairy wrens, babblers, several honeyeaters, thornbills, gerygones, speckled warblers, scrubwrens, pardalotes, treecreepers, kingfishers, dollarbirds, frogmouths, owlet-nightjars, owls, raptors, cuckoos, several parrots(including turquoise), pigeons and doves, plovers, dotterels, stilts, quail, ibis, egrets, various waterhens, waterfowl, grebes, cormorants, darters. + a few other species. You probably won't see them all, but it is well worth a visit.

Heasd up the Paicifc Highway north from Sydney, through Newcastle, Coff's Harbour, Grafton and head for the Gibraltar Range, north of Tamworth. Good "wilderness" walks around here with good forest bird and mammal life. Also coast around Yamba, south of Byron Bay can give good terns, waders and raptors. Haven't been there since 1992, but recall great birding.
regards,
Jono

I spent 5 months in Wagga Wagga, NSW a few years back then spent a month traveling up the coast. You can actually buy a bus ticket for around $250 that stops at all the cities along the coast (this goes other places again). Because Australia is so diverse but small enough, you should be able to hit the temperate, sub-tropical and tropical areas. After Wagga Wagga, we were going to go to the Blue Mountains, but fires had broken out (but I heard it's fantastic). Then, we went to Sydney for a few days before camping on a beach (Yuriguir -spelling?) near Grafton. We then stopped off at Fraiser Island where we basically just hiked the island instead of buying a 4x4 trip. We saw so many cool birds and it was both sub-tropical and temperate! Hitchenbrook Island is also pretty cool... you are dropped off on one side of the island, then get picked up on the other side of the island. Not a ton of birds, but a very unique trip. Cairns and surrounding area is beautiful and you'll be able to see some sub-tropical birds. I'd recommend the Simpson and Day guide! Good luck, I'm jealous!

Because Australia is so diverse but small enough, you should be able to hit the temperate, sub-tropical and tropical areas. After Wagga Wagga, we were going to go to the Blue Mountains, but fires had broken out (but I heard it's fantastic). Then, we went to Sydney for a few days before camping on a beach (Yuriguir -spelling?) near Grafton. We then stopped off at Fraiser Island where we basically just hiked the island instead of buying a 4x4 trip. We saw so many cool birds and it was both sub-tropical and temperate! Hitchenbrook Island is also pretty cool... you are dropped off on one side of the island, then get picked up on the other side of the island. Not a ton of birds, but a very unique trip. Cairns and surrounding area is beautiful and you'll be able to see some sub-tropical birds. I'd recommend the Simpson and Day guide! Good luck, I'm jealous!
I certainly wouldn't describe Australia as small; it's only slightly smaller than the continental US.

Also Cairns is very much tropical and has for the main part, very different birds from sub-tropical Australia.

Hi Duncan,
I had a month in NSW a couple of years ago ,I explored many bays, parks and forests all excellent places for birds but one area that for me was simply stunning was the world heritage rainforest of Dorrigo,with thousand year old trees, and birds like Satin and Regents bower birds,Brush turkeys,Superb Lyrebirds,Green Catbird,various Parrots and Pigeons the list goes on ,situated half way between Sydney and Brisbane,I stayed neraby on the coast at Urunga where the rivers Bellinger and Kalang meet and form a tidal lagoon, where i saw Beach Stone Curlews,Brahminy kites and Scarlet Honeyeaters .
What a place!!
Have a great trip...

Queensland and Cairns

Hi, I'm a bit late on this thread, but I'll put in a couple of pennies' worth anyway.

My wife and I went to Australia for the first time last year at the end of April, beginning of May, flying into Cairns from Japan where we live. We were only there for nine days in total.

I asked for some advice here on BF, and one place people mentioned for birding was Kingfisher Park in Julatten, run by Keith and Lindsay Fisher, (pure co-incidence on the name, I believe) which we recommend.

http://kingfisherparkbirdwatchers.blogspot.com/

We enjoyed our three-day stay there very much. However, it rained most of the time, though the rainy season was supposed to be over (we were still the only guests), and apart from the rain itself, an hour or so of light was lost at the beginning and end of each day because of the cloud cover. We did get to see quite a lot of birds one way or another - Mount Molloy is a short drive away, and has a quite different climate and birdlife, and we went to other nearby places also - but it might be better to get some advice from Keith Fisher direct as to when would be a good time to visit north Queensland during the time you have available.

You are going one month earlier than we did, so adjust everything accordingly - i.e the rainy season in the north will definitely still be ongoing, but there will be birds there when you go that had left by the time we went at the beginning of May (such as the buff-breasted paradise kingfisher, and Cairns shorebirds).

We stayed in Cairns for a couple of nights and got quite a lot of birds (30 or so species) on the foreshore even though most of the shorebirds had gone north already.

We also went inland over the Atherton Tableland to Undara Lava Tubes. Having based ourselves in Cairns and having only a short time in Australia, we wanted to see some dryland also and some kangaroos, and maybe other things. Undara was a long drive and worthwhile for us, but I wouldn't recommend it if you have seen kangaroos elsewhere in Australia - the accomodation is also rather expensive, though fun (railway coaches), and the food not very good. We saw some birds we wouldn't otherwise have seen, but if you saw dry land elsewhere in Australia, you will probably have seen these birds. The Atherton Tableland is probably worth more time than we were able to give it: in two hours at Hasties Swamp, we saw ten species we didn't see elsewhere, for example.

If you go through Cairns, then taking the boat out to Michaelmas Cay and spending as much time as possible there snorkelling (there may be four or five species of birds also that you won't see on the mainland) is something you absolutely should do. We recommend buying in Cairns and taking your own sandwiches and eating them on the beach, because otherwise going back to the main boat for lunch (included in the ticket) will take an hour of your time minimum, and there is only four hours total at the Cay because the trip takes about two hours each way. The snorkelling is better than the diving, because the water is clearer at the surface, and there seem to be more species of fish. And rent a waterproof camera for $50 and take some photos of the fish you will see.

If you have only a short time in Cairns, then Green Island on the reef can be done in half a day, and although it's very touristy, there are still lots of fish and nice swimming.

From Cairns in ten days, you can get four environments: seabird foreshore, Great Barrier Reef, rainforest, and dry savannah (Undara).

In total, we saw about 120 species of bird in ten days, and we spent quite a lot of time doing other things - swimming, eating, driving (rental car), just admiring the scenery, and so on.

And the people in Cairns (even though it's almost all tourists) and Queensland generally are great, friendly, polite and generous. This was the thing that we both liked best about the place.

There's rather more than four environments around Cairns (I can think of at least a dozen) which hold their own unique birds. Furthermore, the dry country is very varied itself. You will for example get very different birds around say, Georgetown, than around Mareeba.

Hi Rob

I'm also keen to look for Ground Parrot, so Barren Grounds is on the "to do" list.

Cheers
Duncan

Don't believe anyone who tells you it's possible to get good views of this bird - the briefest of flickering wings as they burst away and land in cover is all you'll get. My brother and i spent days looking near Noosa and he saw glimpses twice, while I missed both times. Did hear it singing but ALL the trip reports are misleading if they promise better than that.
Chris

Hi Duncan,
I had a month in NSW a couple of years ago ,I explored many bays, parks and forests all excellent places for birds but one area that for me was simply stunning was the world heritage rainforest of Dorrigo,with thousand year old trees, and birds like Satin and Regents bower birds,Brush turkeys,Superb Lyrebirds,Green Catbird,various Parrots and Pigeons the list goes on ,situated half way between Sydney and Brisbane,I stayed neraby on the coast at Urunga where the rivers Bellinger and Kalang meet and form a tidal lagoon, where i saw Beach Stone Curlews,Brahminy kites and Scarlet Honeyeaters .
What a place!!
Have a great trip...

I second this most heartily - my top spot from a couple of years ago travelling from Adelaide to Cairns.

scary-canary said:
Don't believe anyone who tells you it's possible to get good views of this bird - the briefest of flickering wings as they burst away and land in cover is all you'll get. My brother and i spent days looking near Noosa and he saw glimpses twice, while I missed both times. Did hear it singing but ALL the trip reports are misleading if they promise better than that.
http://www.birdforum.net/opus/Ground_Parrot
;)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back