• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Western Tragopan in winter (1 Viewer)

DMW

A heads-up for anybody visiting North India between Jan and March who might be interested in trying for Western Tragopan, officially the best bird in the world 😁

I've received an email from top Tragopan guide Dhani Ram to say that he has opened aHomestay in his home village in the Tirthan Valley near Kullu. He claims that Western Tragopan can be reliably seen in forest above the village during the winter months, when snow has pushed them down from breeding territory. I can't confirm this, but I can vouch for Dhani Ram's skill at finding Western Tragopan and have no reason to doubt him.

The best way to see the species is to trek up to the breeding grounds in late April to mid May, but most birders visit India in the winter months, so for anybody who fancy going slightly off-piste during a winter trip, this could be a very interesting option.

I've asked for more details such as costs and will post these when received.

A heads-up for anybody visiting North India between Jan and March who might be interested in trying for Western Tragopan, officially the best bird in the world 😁

I've received an email from top Tragopan guide Dhani Ram to say that he has opened aHomestay in his home village in the Tirthan Valley near Kullu. He claims that Western Tragopan can be reliably seen in forest above the village during the winter months, when snow has pushed them down from breeding territory. I can't confirm this, but I can vouch for Dhani Ram's skill at finding Western Tragopan and have no reason to doubt him.

The best way to see the species is to trek up to the breeding grounds in late April to mid May, but most birders visit India in the winter months, so for anybody who fancy going slightly off-piste during a winter trip, this could be a very interesting option.

Hi, DMW. I am planning a trip to Himachal Pradesh this winter. Can you please provide a contact for Dhani so I can discuss with him timing and logistics with a view to looking for this bird. Thanks Dave

Hi Dave, I've sent you a PM.

Hi DMW, I am also interested in the info. If you have nothing new, could you post contact info for Dhani Ram? Thanks

Hi George,
I've sent you a PM. I've had a few requests and am happy to provide contact info this way, but am reluctant to post on a public forum without permission.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back