• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Ethereal Bino Book (1 Viewer)

Hi Bill!

You will only get one shot at this, and like you said -- it needs to be out the door - pronto .... so do what you know you want to do ;) :t:

I like the title, plus a suitable sub-title idea. .... The only consideration might be if the real MYTHBUSTERS go all crankypants whoop*ss legal-eagle on your personage! Great publicity though. .... what chance of getting Kari Byron |8.| on the cover?!

What style? ..... well I would just say professional, we'll laid out, logical and easy to read. Keep the conversational bits as interjections, stories and anecdotes. A picture tells a thousand words, .... have plenty of them -- cutaways, cad drawings, technical illustrations, diagrams etc link these to the various eyepiece and optical designs and what we see. If you can tie the whole kit and caboodle together - mechanical and optical design /manufacturing, resolution, colour and perceived brightness, transmission, MTF curves, Contrast, Glare, CA, Distortions and effects, field curvature, eye geometry, processing and functioning, neural quirks and knowledge summary, then you'll be doing pretty darn good !!

ONE SERIOUS CAUTION: Don't fall in to that particularly American trap of selling in advance what you will be saying ie. The " coming up 10 things that the ordinary person just doesn't know - I'd like to tell you, but unless you are an insider I just don't think you'll want to know what you don't know blah blah blah blah blah" type of waffle. No offense but some of your earlier posts here were guilty of that ---- if you've got something earth shattering to say -- for gawd sake just spit it out !! If there are a whole host of conflicting design considerations and compromises - detail them! explain them! ...... Industry info? - let's have it! (In my mind I'm picturing Dr McCoy saying something like -- dammit man - just spit it out already !!! :)

I strongly recommend that you make it current ie. include cutaways, pics (including grid style through bin shots), details and tests of the Zeiss SF, Leica UltraVid HD+, Swaro A-K SLC's and SV, Nikon EDGII, SE, and EII, plus any upcoming prototypes you can get your hands on .......:t:

The Canon IS and other stabilized bins, and the Sony digital bins make for fascinating cutaways and study. Reflector style bins - postulate away! Etc, etc, etc, etc ......

Pricing? ..... A bit less than the value provided --- everybody loves a bargain! :)
$20 - 30 sounds about right ......

Good luck!

Chosun :gh:

Last edited:
The production and H&S costs may add up to 10$-15$, maybe even more if you want your baby to have a nice cover etc, and with this fact in mind you indeed should also consider the ebook idea; and of course all contributors to this thread should receive complimentary copies.....///Peter.

I will try to answer questions from the last 3 questioners—before one disappeared:

“Can you define your target audience and estimate its size?”

The publishers I have approached have all wanted me to narrow my audience to the one THEY wanted to cater too. That might make them happy, but it is too restrictive for me. My primary audiences are, in order:

1 Bird Watchers
2 Amateur Astronomers
3 Hunters &
4 Deepwater Sailors

Essentially, everyone who wants to know MORE than the pabulumic garbage magazines and “experts”— who aren’t—have been feeding them for years, and making them think that all there is.

Size? ‘Don’t care. I’m in it for the long hall. I’ve given my original research and experience away on BF, CN, and other for YEARS. The book will just make it a more efficient and beneficial read. Yes, I WANT to make some money. BUT, if I sold 1,000 copies at $30 each, I would still be losing money; I want to help my neighbor.

Why should you buy the book? I have answered that realistic question for Willmann-Bell, CRC, and Springer. The answer relates to something already said: “Essentially everyone who wants to know MORE than the pabulumic garbage magazines and ‘experts,’ who aren’t, have been feeding them for years, and making them think it’s all there is.” I hope to take the audience’s thoughts in new directions.

“Bill Cook doesn’t tell you what you WANT to hear, he tells you what you NEED to know.”

In sales, I intend to lean heavily on word of mouth. I will offer it on an Internet site and at telescope making and birding events. The mantra: “If it sells, it sells.” I am steeped in branding and advertising. But, while I need the money, I refuse to use so many techniques (read: tricks) of “modern” selling. It was all the lying about “auto-focus” binoculars—that people actually believed—that caused me to go off the deep end and I will starve before I will follow suit!

Having had a contract for De-MYTH-tifying Binoculars since 2000 or 2001, I’m not worried about Mythbusters, since their show first aired in 2003.

Yes, there will be ample photos and illustrations.

I will not be spending much space on MTF curves, rayfans, OPDs, Strehls, and the like. Doing that, I would lose ALL my audiences, immediately. Case in point: in a current thread people talked about catadioptric binoculars. When I mentioned a few of the realities of super-fast mirrors with secondary’s having 70%+ obstruction and costs of polishing and figuring, forum members left that ludicrous notion and just jumped over talking about “off-axis” systems. Are you kidding: in hand-held binoculars!? People have a proclivity for wanting what they shouldn’t want, and wouldn’t want if they had realistic experience. I realize that BF has a few “experts” who make the rounds. But, I will deal in reality. Hang political correctness! Or, to steal from Arthur, “Bread is not enough; we demand circuses.”

I won’t be dealing with today’s cutting edge optics. For years, at every lecture, people have wanted me to recommend their next binocular. I won’t do it; the book won’t do it.

I dispel crap and replace it with useful data that people can use no matter what the market is doing.

“Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.”—Chinese Proverb

Finally, ebooks. That might be an issue for once the physical book is selling.

Thanks all; now back to my editing.

Bill

Last edited:
At 200 pages, your $25 is about right I think. A current, rather well known hunting writer named John Barsness recently self published his second book on Hunting Optics (Deep Creek Press, see riflesandreciepies.com) at that size with photos for about that price. As for the title, if voting for one, I'd opt for the second. But a combination might be in order perhaps something along the lines of "Binoculars, the Facts, the Fiction, and the Myth"

Steve:

I agree, I recently got that book, and I really like it. John did a very nice job, and I especially learned a lot on the scope side.
The stories and style are very easy to read.

I passed this along to Bill a while back, so he does know how to
self publish, if that is the goal.

Jerry

A quick suggestion: you can give a few copies away, lottery style, to a few lucky members who will post on a dedicated thread--starting such a new thread might be better advertising for your book than the current one///Peter.

I will try to answer questions from the last 3 questioners—before one disappeared:

“Can you define your target audience and estimate its size?”

The publishers I have approached have all wanted me to narrow my audience to the one THEY wanted to cater too. That might make them happy, but it is too restrictive for me. My primary audiences are, in order:

1 Bird Watchers
2 Amateur Astronomers
3 Hunters &
4 Deepwater Sailors

Essentially, everyone who wants to know MORE than the pabulumic garbage magazines and “experts”— who aren’t—have been feeding them for years, and making them think that all there is.

Size? ‘Don’t care. I’m in it for the long hall. I’ve given my original research and experience away on BF, CN, and other for YEARS. The book will just make it a more efficient and beneficial read. Yes, I WANT to make some money. BUT, if I sold 1,000 copies at $30 each, I would still be losing money; I want to help my neighbor.

Why should you buy the book? I have answered that realistic question for Willmann-Bell, CRC, and Springer. The answer relates to something already said: “Essentially everyone who wants to know MORE than the pabulumic garbage magazines and ‘experts,’ who aren’t, have been feeding them for years, and making them think it’s all there is.” I hope to take the audience’s thoughts in new directions.

“Bill Cook doesn’t tell you what you WANT to hear, he tells you what you NEED to know.”

In sales, I intend to lean heavily on word of mouth. I will offer it on an Internet site and at telescope making and birding events. The mantra: “If it sells, it sells.” I am steeped in branding and advertising. But, while I need the money, I refuse to use so many techniques (read: tricks) of “modern” selling. It was all the lying about “auto-focus” binoculars—that people actually believed—that caused me to go off the deep end and I will starve before I will follow suit!

Having had a contract for De-MYTH-tifying Binoculars since 2000 or 2001, I’m not worried about Mythbusters, since their show first aired in 2003.

Yes, there will be ample photos and illustrations.

I will not be spending much space on MTF curves, rayfans, OPDs, Strehls, and the like. Doing that, I would lose ALL my audiences, immediately. Case in point: in a current thread people talked about catadioptric binoculars. When I mentioned a few of the realities of super-fast mirrors with secondary’s having 70%+ obstruction and costs of polishing and figuring, forum members left that ludicrous notion and just jumped over talking about “off-axis” systems. Are you kidding: in hand-held binoculars!? People have a proclivity for wanting what they shouldn’t want, and wouldn’t want if they had realistic experience. I realize that BF has a few “experts” who make the rounds. But, I will deal in reality. Hang political correctness! Or, to steal from Arthur, “Bread is not enough; we demand circuses.”

I won’t be dealing with today’s cutting edge optics. For years, at every lecture, people have wanted me to recommend their next binocular. I won’t do it; the book won’t do it.

I dispel crap and replace it with useful data that people can use no matter what the market is doing.

“Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.”—Chinese Proverb

Finally, ebooks. That might be an issue for once the physical book is selling.

Thanks all; now back to my editing.

Bill
Bill,

If a copy run of 1000 books at $30/per would be a loser for you I strongly suggest you sit back, with a beverage of choice and think this through. Publishing is business, not passion or love or anything else. There are two publishers in my family tree (one traditional, one state-of-the-art self publishing) and it's not a simple business. Niche books, such as yours, sell in the 200-400 copy range, if you're lucky.

Some on this board could afford to drop thirty grand on a writing project, never make a dime of profit and walk away with a smile. Nothing ventured, nothing gained: price tag $30,000. Oh, well, what's next on my list. Others cannot afford to lose a thing.

I'm a birder interested in optics but I'm not willing to pay to read about it. Good optics are widely available and there's not much I need to know to get what I enjoy. Game procurers are a different group. They spend more time and money on their hobby than birders and a $25 book is of little consequence if it adds to their hobby. The book mentioned in a previous post is a good reference and, on that site, it clearly states what's covered in the book. I'm no longer in the sport; if I was I'd buy a copy.

Good Luck!

Bill,

My self published Handbook Optics, contains 240 pages and a lot of full color pictures etc.
It's sold for 30,00 euro (it costs 5,00 euro) and is given for free with every sold binocular and refunded if an binocular is sold.
It is now in its 9th edition.
The big plus is that it is kept and not thrown away like a catalogue and every sold book brings 5 new binocular customers because it gets borrowed etc.
Knowing this, you could consider to approach some key dealers for distribution/give away and make a special price deal/edition for them.
If you are capable (which you are) to produce a high end knowledge edition, I would rate it for $49,95.

Jan

Bill,

My self published Handbook Optics, contains 240 pages and a lot of full color pictures etc.
It's sold for 30,00 euro (it costs 5,00 euro) and is given for free with every sold binocular and refunded if an binocular is sold.
It is now in its 9th edition.
The big plus is that it is kept and not thrown away like a catalogue and every sold book brings 5 new binocular customers because it gets borrowed etc.
Knowing this, you could consider to approach some key dealers for distribution/give away and make a special price deal/edition for them.
If you are capable (which you are) to produce a high end knowledge edition, I would rate it for $49,95.

Jan

Bill,

If a copy run of 1000 books at $30/per would be a loser for you I strongly suggest you sit back, with a beverage of choice and think this through. Publishing is business, not passion or love or anything else. There are two publishers in my family tree (one traditional, one state-of-the-art self publishing) and it's not a simple business. Niche books, such as yours, sell in the 200-400 copy range, if you're lucky.

Some on this board could afford to drop thirty grand on a writing project, never make a dime of profit and walk away with a smile. Nothing ventured, nothing gained: price tag $30,000. Oh, well, what's next on my list. Others cannot afford to lose a thing.

I'm a birder interested in optics but I'm not willing to pay to read about it. Good optics are widely available and there's not much I need to know to get what I enjoy. Game procurers are a different group. They spend more time and money on their hobby than birders and a $25 book is of little consequence if it adds to their hobby. The book mentioned in a previous post is a good reference and, on that site, it clearly states what's covered in the book. I'm no longer in the sport; if I was I'd buy a copy.

Good Luck!

Pileatus:

I just used, “1000 books at $30/per” as an example. I can’t sit back; this sucker is part of my bucket list and MUST be addressed. Working with consumers for 21 years, if just seen too much crap that needs to be fought head on! Do I expect it to dissipate? No. I just want to give it my best shot. We all want/need we can make a difference. In 45 years of devotion, I have made very few.

I have suggested some routines for Zemax that Ken wrote for me, got my “Conditional Alignment” accepted by the international community of optical engineers, and hired shipmate, Cory Suddarth, to come out and work for me at Captain’s. That got him back into optics; he and his wife were doing yard work in Florida when I found him—what a waste of talent. Since, he has become THE hero of binocular repair in this country, a position he deserves. Most of the guys who know what Cory and I did are either dead or long out of the business.

Having published Amateur Telescope Making Journal in the spare time—I didn’t have—for 10 years, I know a few things about publishing; I lost over $20,000—Ouch! Near the end, I hired a certain editor away from S&T to work at Captain’s and to HELP me with the Journal ……… ¿right?

Without thinking of what it would do to me, or ASKING permission, he made the cover a full bleed ($$), AND started making the cover a much heavier stock ($$$$$). I had left the journal as it was because it was just under the next break in weight, for postage. That one episode cost me TWO OF MY VINTAGE RICKENBACKERS!!!

I understand that niche books don’t sell (that’s why I want to get back to my mag freelancing and a novel I started years ago) so “200-400” is fine with me. By staying away from talking much about specific models and delving into analyzing aberration concepts in engineering, I think the tortoise will have staying power.

I was never one of those on the forum who could lose the money, but I’m one who wanted to know more. I only have delusions of … adequacy. We shall see.

Bill

A quick suggestion: you can give a few copies away, lottery style, to a few lucky members who will post on a dedicated thread--starting such a new thread might be better advertising for your book than the current one///Peter.

Oh, you mean like Zen-Ray!:-O

Bill

I am unable to help with the actual questions but wanted to state that I would almost certainly buy one. It would make for some very interesting reading even if it took me a while to digest it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back