• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Looking to decide on a new binocular (3 Viewers)

RepresoR

Romania
I am looking and searching all over the internet to decide on a new binocular in 1000 euro price range.
Unfortunately I do not have a dedicated physical store in my city or somehow nearby (300 km range) to go and test more types of binos from different producers so I will have to rely on personal gambling ability and hopefully your well intended suggestions.

the things to consider are:
  • the price ~1000 euro (I can make it 1200 if it is really worth it)
  • I live in Europe so regarding guarancy it would be easier to have a pair from an Eu producer compared to US/Japanese ( I know it's a hard point)
  • I wear glasses so this a factor to take into consideration
  • minor points would be the accessories that come in the package (bag, neck strap, lenses protection etc)
  • I am a beginner and my experience in optics comes only from using a Delta Titanium binocular
  • I believe an 8x42 is a general purpose for my needs

The "short" list I managed to come upon is as follows :

• Nikon Monarch HG 8x42
  • Meopta Meostar B1 Plus 8x42
  • GPO Passion HD 8x42
  • Alpen Optics Rainier HD ED 8x42
  • and the easy picks or safe picks Zeiss Conquest HD and Leica Triovid

Maven and Athlon are harder to find in Europe and usually more expensive than they are really worth in the US for example so I dropped them from the list.

I was going for Zeiss Conquest but people say that their oculars are not the best and being a glasses wearer made me think twice, what would be based on your experience the most appropriate pick for my needs ?

I don’t have many shops locally either and picked up a secondhand 8x32 conquest for well within your budget. Very impressive view (previously used a Nikon 8x30e2)! There is a good range on the eyecups (I don’t need eyecups and use them
Fully extended), but as people have noted the eyecup mechanism is not very nice, but if I am gentle with them I don’t have any issues. Very solidly built, not going to even think about another binocular for a long while!

Peter

The smaller Zeiss Conquest 8x32 might surprise you. I went looking for 8x42 and preferred the smaller bins. I've never looked back and thought I should have bought 8x42.

I initially bought the Nikon Monarch HG 8x42, but after taking them home and comparing with my old Olympus EXPS I found the old Olympus bins were better.

Another binocular that came a very close second to the Conquests were Kowa BD. The Zeiss bins shaded it on false colour, of which I detect none. Something used from Swarovski is within your budget.

I wouldn't buy GPO, Alpen or Meopta as they are not well supported in the UK - might be different in the EU. I'd never heard of any of them until I joined this forum (and Alpen, only today!). I like European- or Japanese- made optics, personally.

Last edited:
IMO I would choose the GPO HDs.

Read the reviews yourself, the well grounded reviewers are suggesting they are playing in the top class league, not big brand name mid range, despite the price equivalence to the others ....I am considering these myself as I am happy with my GPO Passion 8x56.

You have a good list there, though you might drop the Alpen... and also consider a pre-owned Swarovski SLC/EL, Zeiss FL/HT/SFL, or Leica Ultravid if available in your price range, as service under warranty would be available if needed.

I'm still quite happy with my Fujinon HC 8x42.
Here's a great offer for a "display item". I bought a display item, too and it was brand new. No signs of use at all. Price is also great.

@RepresoR
It looks like you're on track to buy a great pair of binoculars, and sticking with EU built products seems a very solid decision.
Regarding wearing glasses, do you have the means to look up or measure the eye relief of the Delta Titaniums? If so, make sure your new binoculars match or exceed that amount.
Good luck~
~ Foss

Look no further.

Excellent Glass, this is the only binocular you will ever need.

Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

I was going for Zeiss Conquest but people say that their oculars are not the best and being a glasses wearer made me think twice, what would be based on your experience the most appropriate pick for my needs ?

Since the Zeiss Conquest HD 42mm models are infamous for having too much eye relief for some users without glasses, they should work just fine with any and all glasses. For those without Zeiss seems to provide longer eyecups on request.

@RepresoR
It looks like you're on track to buy a great pair of binoculars, and sticking with EU built products seems a very solid decision.

Finding a new pair of 8x42 bins actually produced mainly in the EU (as opposed to a Made in EU sticker which is unfortunately not the same) inside the 1-1.2k€ budget might limit the field quite a bit... Trinovid HD and Meostar come to mind... Conquest most certainly not (see long discussion here: Where are made the Conquest HD).
Anybody knows others options?

Joachim, who would probably look for used alphas or former alphas...

I am a beginner and my experience in optics comes only from using a Delta Titanium binocular
Perhaps this one? (it claims 18mm eye relief)

I was going for Zeiss Conquest but people say that their oculars are not the best and being a glasses wearer made me think twice
If you wear glasses, those eyecups won't matter as you won't be using them. Conquest is at least sold by a company with an EU presence for warranty service, and it has 18mm ER.

Can anyone recommend good dealers in used alpha brands in the EU?

Last edited:
thank you all for the warm welcome and good suggestions.(y)

I think the best bet would be to stick to Leica Triovid and Zeiss Conquest, check them on a few stores and pick the one with the best price offer.:cool:

I'm not a fanboy of any producer and try to be as pragmatic as possible :)

Used, I can take it into consideration only if sold by a well known store ... for the moment I don't know any.

I am curious as to what made the Olympus a better binocular at a fraction of the price of a Monarch HG ? Neil English reviewed the Olympus EXPS and did not recommend it .
For some, the financial proponent will decide. On that list based on my experience the Nikon or the Meopta wins hands down, secondly a used Leica if a good sample is available from a reputable seller.

I have checked that Ultravid but I don't find it useful.
I will go in a safari middle february and I want to have the binocular by then, that ultravid is in the US and it says it can arrive in Eu end of February, beginning of March, more than this the price + duties and delivery costs will get me to ~1500 USD while a new one can be found for ~1800 euro, not really the best deal to make.

I found on a local site an Geovid 8x42 3200.com, unopened box, invoice available but private seller for 1500 euro ... but for me when the offer is too good, it usually ain't , I'm not the best gambler:)

I found on a local site an Geovid 8x42 3200.com, unopened box, invoice available but private seller for 1500 euro ...
Sounds like another good possibility, but I wonder if the extra weight wouldn't also be a hindrance? Being from a private seller though, would you be able to check them out in person? If not, and it had to be a mail order item, credit card protections are always helpful in keeping a seller honest. However though, if they've got the invoice I'd think it unlikely that you've got a dishonest person you're dealing with on an item of this type.

I have checked that Ultravid but I don't find it useful.
I wonder what it is you don't like about them. Magnification too low? I think the difference between 7x (I think they are 6.8 or 6.9x) and 8x is negligible in terms of magnification but very much there in the DOF. Same is true for stability, IMO. One very notable (probably subjective) thing about them is that these binoculars are very easy on the eye. I have used my Swarovski EL 8.5x and my 7x Ultravid today and I can say they're both great but the Ultravid is so much easier on the eye than other bins. It's like looking through an open window on a lovely, clear day. An 8.5x magnification, on the other hand, seems to strike a better balance between magnification, AFOV and stability for me.
I found on a local site an Geovid 8x42 3200.com,
These are quite big, if that is a problem. I'd be tempted at this price because I have heard that their optics are great.

I wonder what it is you don't like about them. Magnification too low? I think the difference between 7x (I think they are 6.8 or 6.9x) and 8x is negligible in terms of magnification but very much there in the DOF. Same is true for stability, IMO. One very notable (probably subjective) thing about them is that these binoculars are very easy on the eye. I have used my Swarovski EL 8.5x and my 7x Ultravid today and I can say they're both great but the Ultravid is so much easier on the eye than other bins. It's like looking through an open window on a lovely, clear day. An 8.5x magnification, on the other hand, seems to strike a better balance between magnification, AFOV and stability for me.

no, not at all ... I said on my previous post, it's not about their technical aspect, I'm sure they are great, but because they are in the US I will only get them in March and I need the binoculars before middle February.

Can anyone recommend good dealers in used alpha brands in the EU?
In the Netherlands:

I have very good experiences buying (used) Leica, Swarovski and Zeiss from Jan van Daalen:

I bought some nice used Leica’s from this shop, also good after sales:

Not bought from this shop but heard from others that its good:

And you can find very good binoculars for fair prices in the classified section here on BF.

Last edited:
no, not at all ... I said on my previous post, it's not about their technical aspect, I'm sure they are great, but because they are in the US I will only get them in March and I need the binoculars before middle February.
Here's a 7x42 Ultravid in Wales right here in the forum from one of our members which could probably be to you in short order. I tried putting a link direct to his ad but for some reason it keeps just going to his member information. Anyway, just look for threads he's started and you'll see a great price on the 7x42 there.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back