• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (58 Viewers)

todays offerings

snipe hiding, three wildfowl with outboard motors fitted and shoveller in flight.

Attachments

• DSC02388.JPG
    DSC02388.JPG
    121.8 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC02404.JPG
    DSC02404.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 56
  • DSC02409.JPG
    DSC02409.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC02422.JPG
    DSC02422.JPG
    92.8 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC02423.JPG
    DSC02423.JPG
    103.2 KB · Views: 55
last ones

shoveller, greenfinch, 2x buzzard and another snipe.

Attachments

• DSC02429.JPG
    DSC02429.JPG
    150.1 KB · Views: 55
  • DSC02448.JPG
    DSC02448.JPG
    125.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC02453.JPG
    DSC02453.JPG
    78.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC02454.JPG
    DSC02454.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC02458.JPG
    DSC02458.JPG
    232.8 KB · Views: 75
This evening at the Flashes

From 4pm I was at the Flashes. Although the sun was shining the cold easterly was really dropping the temperature. Initially the gulls were in low numbers, but slowly numbers picked up. The water had dropped to 0.49 exposing a good amount of muddy shoreline in front of the hide. At c7.30 myself and John R found an adult summer plumaged Med Gull on the 'grassy knoll' exactly where the med was on Friday. Frustratingly this bird's legs were never exposed, so we couldn't see if it had a ring or not. It's hood was full and its bill was extremely bright red.
The wind dropped slightly just before I was about to leave and then at 8.15pm the gulls became restless and a few flew up calling and began to mob a bird that was back on, it then turned side on, immediately I could see it was a heron shaped bird. It emitted the unmistakable call of a Bittern, the bird circled, called a few more times and then flew east. I think the bird may have come out of the 2nd Flash reed bed as I first saw it to the right of the sewage works. It just shows staying until dark does pay - only a Bittern this time, but who knows what next.
A minute later at least 1 green sand called and more calls were heard but I couldn't see any birds, but there could have been more than 1.
As I was walking away from the hide the gulls exploded in panic, landing on the water. But I didn't see a thing, this is how they respond when owls fly above them, so who knows.
species count FLASHES:
Teal 34 ( a bit of an influx), Shelduck 2, coot 12, avocet 8, snipe 1, curlew 15 +, oystercatcher 2, LRP, green sand, Med Gull adult, BHG 600, common gull ad - left just before dark, herring gull 2x 2nd summers also left just before dark, stock dove 8, green woodpecker, chiffchaff, pied wags 2, bullfinch
:t:john

Last edited:
At the Moors today
GCG 4, little grebe 2, shoveler 15 (6 prs + 3 males), teal 12 (8 moors + 4 North Moors), gadwall 6, shelduck pr (same as Flashes), tufted c30, snipe 25, Dave had 5 lapwing overhead, oystercatcher 4, redpoll still calling along east side, cettis warbler calling next to car park, chiffchaff 2,

Sailing Pool
GCG 7, little grebe calling. tufted 2 prs, coot 4, grey wag, chiffchaff 3,

a few pics from today

Attachments

• great crested grebe.JPG
    great crested grebe.JPG
    405.6 KB · Views: 56
  • greylag.JPG
    greylag.JPG
    164 KB · Views: 65
  • lesser black- backed.JPG
    lesser black- backed.JPG
    231.4 KB · Views: 70
  • wood pigeon.jpg
    wood pigeon.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 66
  • black-headed gull.JPG
    black-headed gull.JPG
    294 KB · Views: 81
Two further reports of possible Marsh Harrier one yesterday afternoon & one lunchtime today both above Moors carpark.

Cracking selection of images from everybody over the last week.

Rob

Two further reports of possible Marsh Harrier one yesterday afternoon & one lunchtime today both above Moors carpark.

Cracking selection of images from everybody over the last week.

Rob

Cheers Rob - any mention of what sex?

Brian - I take it nothing was reported to Birding Today / Worcestershire Birding?

March ended on an impressive 96 species, with the year list advanced to 104. By comparison in 2012 March recorded 87 species whilst the reserve's year list was on 98 going into April.

There is a whole host of new birds for the year that could be recorded in April (especially given the non-passage so far), so look out for:

Little Egret, Garganey, Hobby, Ringed Plover, Sanderling, Whimbrel, Greenshank, Common Sandpiper, Wood Sandpiper, Little Gull, Black Tern, Common Tern, Arctic Tern, Sandwich Tern, Tawny Owl, Cuckoo, Yellow Wagtail, Redstart, Wheatear, Whinchat, Swallow, House Martin, Reed Warbler, Sedge Warbler, Blackcap, Whitethroat, Lesser Whitethroat, Willow Warbler

Let's see if we can rack up at least 110 species for this month; here's that Spring / Autumn tick list for you as promised (slimmed down from the reserve's entire list and in a larger font).

Attachments

• Spring UW tick list.doc
    106 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Phil

Thanks for the abdridged list - that'll come in handy on my patch too.
Curiosity getting the better of me, what do the * and + denote?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back