• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (115 Viewers)

LRP present Wednesday on the Flashes. About a dozen curlew but no lapwing.
Seem to recall huge winter roots of lapwing at Upton.

Doesn't seem that long ago there were several breeding sites in the Weatheroak, Wythall, Portway and Alvechurch areas. I also remember curlew breeding by Beoley and Weatheoak Hill. Also used to see red legged and grey partridge at these places, along with yellowhammer and tree sparrow.

Thanks to those who have made a donation. Just joined a gym so instead of chasing grannies, as I'm accused of doing, I'll be able to catch them.

Goldcrest question. Mentioned the other day I've seen a female goldcrest on the bird table eating biscuit crumbs. Today, saw the same bird on one of the feeders eating sunflower hearts.
Always thought they were insectivores. Probably naive of me to ask but has anyone else seen similar behaviour?

Goldcrest

Paul,
Not had Goldcrest on the feeders but have had them taking sunflower hearts from spillage on the ground.
How's the diet going?
Bill

Snipe Migration

snap of the 46ish snipe that came in on the moors today
After seeing Vern's photo, it made me ponder on the possibility that this was diurnal snipe migration, in action.
There are definitely lots of snipe on the move at the movement, but that could well be out of necessity (keeping alive in these harsh conditions). Yesterday at the flashes, birds were seen feeding on the sewage meadow, where there have hardly been any all winter. Most species of wader are very conspicuous on passage, moving mostly during the day light hours(diurnal migration) and Upton gets its fair share of this spectacle. However it is very difficult to quantify snipe movement, due to their crepuscular habits. There is no doubt that during the day snipe can be restless and will move out of their daytime roost and fly about a bit. At times they will also feed en masse during daylight, when wet warm conditions prevail, due to the glut of worms that become available. But the best time to see them in action is just before dark. If you stay in the East hide after dark, you will see them or more likely hear them as they 'shoot' skyward from their roosting sites around the 'scrape' at Amy's marsh.
As a 'birder' the spring is my highlight of the year, the whole concept of migration is fascinating and trying to understand and witnessing it makes it all the more interesting. So the next time you see a snipe drop in during the day at this time of year, it could well be a migrant. It would be nice to think these 46 snipe (Vern's photo) were migrants. I know if they were Dunlin we would all be knocked out by such an occurrence.
Have a good spring at Upton and with all the hardship birds have to endure on migration, try to appreciate them and marvel at their FEAT of getting here. (That's assuming we get a spring:-C)
B :)John
any thoughts on this or how you perceive migration

Last edited:
The Med wasnt easy to pick up tonight - John's first photo replicates its stance when I found it facing away. However it does show the rewards of staying for the roost at the Flashes, which is always under-watched.

With several Little Gulls knocking around neighbouring counties at the moment (esp Staffs) its worth keeping a close eye on those gulls.

Just had a message from Terry H, stating that this distinctive bird was seen in the roost at Bartley reservoir on Thursday 28th March. Always nice to track these birds movements.;)john

just a few photos from a quick stop yesterday,

1 & 2 Mary says here's some eggs for Easter (pity they're Slugs)
3 fungi maybe Bjerkanddera.
4 Jack snipe

Attachments

• 29 march 002.jpg
    29 march 002.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 29 march 003.jpg
    29 march 003.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 29 march 004.jpg
    29 march 004.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 29 march 007.jpg
    29 march 007.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 122
First chicks?

Apols is someone has already mentioned this. From the east hide, Friday morning, those present saw a female Mallard with at least 9 chicks. Tough bird!:t:
Has spring sprung?

Apols is someone has already mentioned this. From the east hide, Friday morning, those present saw a female Mallard with at least 9 chicks. Tough bird!:t:
Has spring sprung?

Hi Bob
My first sighting of chicks this year, as you say, but for me in front of the Bittern Hide on Thursday.
13 chicks - let's hope that's lucky for some!

Attachments

• DSC04507 (640x500).jpg
    DSC04507 (640x500).jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 114
I picked up the first winter Med Gull just after entering the east hide on the moors this afternoon - managed to get a couple of photos (attached) and then it vanished. It's quite a subtle bird - I wonder if Craig will pick it up in the roost later (if he's doing it tonight). I wimped out of that - it's far too chilly for my liking. 8-P

Another highlight was a female Cetti's on the causeway - eventually gave great views.

Attachments

• 1w Med Gull UW 300313.JPG
    1w Med Gull UW 300313.JPG
    403.4 KB · Views: 128
  • 1w Med UW 300313.JPG
    1w Med UW 300313.JPG
    201.9 KB · Views: 133
I picked up the first winter Med Gull just after entering the east hide on the moors this afternoon - managed to get a couple of photos (attached) and then it vanished. It's quite a subtle bird - I wonder if Craig will pick it up in the roost later (if he's doing it tonight). I wimped out of that - it's far too chilly for my liking. 8-P

Another highlight was a female Cetti's on the causeway - eventually gave great views.

The 1st winter Med did not roost at the Flashes this evening. However things were more than made up for when a 100% Summer plumaged adult Med Gull came into roost around 6pm or just after. Similar to last night, the bird was Red ringed, but the code read PNU4 (Same as Gerts bird a week ago?). The bird had a full black hood in contrast to JTB and PA's bird. So 100% 3 different birds in the last week!
4 Avocets in a brief (and maybe not accurate) count. 2 LRP, 2 OYC, a few Redwing still around the steps/ 2 Grey Wagtail on SP jetties, and a Meadow Pipit in the small meadow adjacent to SP Centre. 25 Curlew roosted
MB

Last edited:
The 1st winter Med did not roost at the Flashes this evening. However things were more than made up for when a 100% Summer plumaged adult Med Gull came into roost around 6pm or just after. Similar to last night, the bird was Red ringed, but the code read PNU4 (Same as Gerts bird a week ago?). The bird had a full black hood in contrast to JTB and PA's bird. So 100% 3 different birds in the last week!
4 Avocets in a brief (and maybe not accurate) count. 2 LRP, 2 OYC, a few Redwing still around the steps/ 2 Grey Wagtail on SP jetties, and a Meadow Pipit in the small meadow adjacent to SP Centre. 25 Curlew roosted
MB

Nice one Craig - I knew you'd have it covered. Just goes to show how many can pass through at this time of year.

MB

Forgot to mention a Common Gull (ad) which was in when we arrived, but dissapeared without being seen.
MB

Nice one Craig - I knew you'd have it covered. Just goes to show how many can pass through at this time of year.

It just goes to show what can be missed with very few people doing the roosts. Its not unusual to be alone in the hide at roost times, despite the higher concentration of birds. Shame really, because you cant really tell what drops in late and could move out early. It only makes you wonder what could have been missed :eek!:
MB

It just goes to show what can be missed with very few people doing the roosts. Its not unusual to be alone in the hide at roost times, despite the higher concentration of birds. Shame really, because you cant really tell what drops in late and could move out early. It only makes you wonder what could have been missed :eek!:
MB

Just the sentiments in my post last night - wonder if a roosting Bonaparte's or Franklin's Gull has ever slipped through the net.

Following this week's big raptors, with one day to go the March list stands on 95 and the reserve's year total on 103.

MB

Ouch - like I say too cold for me, mate. I'll leave the heroics to you young 'uns.8-P

Ouch - like I say too cold for me, mate. I'll leave the heroics to you young 'uns.8-P

I'll be doing it tomorrow night until dark, which will be 8.15pm with the clocks going forward an hour.
Back in the day there were several of us staying until after dark several days a week. In those days the curlews didn't come in until just before dark, thus the 'curlew counters' tag. In those days, waders, wildfowl, waders, gulls and owls appeared very late on. Highlights being :-
sabines gull, grey plovers, short eared and long eared owl, barn owl and endless roosting Meds, also some ducks came into roost such as roosting goosander and small flocks of wigeon. At certain times of the year the whole area can be alive with birds (usually late summer early autumn.), Green sands can come in very late at times. Last year the RSPB were monitoring calling spotted crakes and chanced upon calling Baillon's crakes. So maybe this year we could give it a try.

Last edited:
MB

Hi Craig, that makes 3 in 2 days:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

• PHW
  • Emma
Back