• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo 2180 fluid head (1 Viewer)

Vivian Darkbloom

I recently purchased the Gitzo 2180 head, using it with a Manfrotto 055CX3V CF tripod and a Swarowski 80 ATM scope.
I have been delighted with the results so far, but I have read some critical comments on the internet, that the head is not robust enough to produce steady images using this combination.
I would be very interested to hear comments from practical birders if they have any experience using this or similar setups in the field.
Thanks
Robin

I recently purchased the Gitzo 2180 head, using it with a Manfrotto 055CX3V CF tripod and a Swarowski 80 ATM scope.
I have been delighted with the results so far, but I have read some critical comments on the internet, that the head is not robust enough to produce steady images using this combination.
I would be very interested to hear comments from practical birders if they have any experience using this or similar setups in the field.
Thanks
Robin

I have one,seems fine to me.
suppressor

I'm interested in buying one of these. Robin, did you look at the newer 1720 head (the one with the single control for pan and tilt) before buying? I looked at that at the Birdfair and thought it didn't seem that smooth. I wonder how the two models compare.

Sean

Have a look at this test: http://www.tvwg.nl/
It's all in Dutch but you could use Google translate.
Click on "Tesstrapporten," then on "Statieven" and then on "Panoramakoppen."
There are more stable heads for less money, for instance the Manfrotto 701 HDV (introduced after the test) and, of course, many better ones for more!

John

Hi John, Whoops, I just reread Robin's first post she has an angled scope, this wouldn't work with that.;) I forgot the scope does rotate, so it might work.
This would just put the weight of the scope at the pivot point instead of on "top" an make it more stable.

Last edited:
Hi Steve Just for the record, this 'Robin' is a 'he' rather than a 'she'.
In the UK the name normally denotes either a male human or a bird with a red breast - and no not that sort of bird.
Robin

Hi Robin, I've been using the Gitzo g2180 head with various Leica scopes (62, 77, 65 and 82 objectives) and with digiscoping kit attached, for several years and love it. I've not had any issues. Yes there are other heads, I've probably tried them all at some point, and am more than happy to stick with the g2180.

I thinks its as much as what suits your personal needs and how you personally use a head that determines how good it is for yourself - we all use things slightly differently and what suits one of us might not suit someone else. There might be better heads out there but they might be heavier, controls not in the right place for you, etc. So regardless of what any of us think, its still what you think about hte head you are using thats the most important point.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back