• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Eagle Optics Golden Eagle HD (1 Viewer)

Unless there is a misprint this binocular in 8 x 42 has a narrow FOV of 347' @ 1000 yards which is almost 80' less than their new Ranger ED 8 x 42 which has dielectric prisms too. The type of prism on the Golden Eagle is unspecified. Why do the Golden Eagles cost $160.00 more than the Rangers?

Bob

Unless there is a misprint this binocular in 8 x 42 has a narrow FOV of 347' @ 1000 yards which is almost 80' less than their new Ranger ED 8 x 42 which has dielectric prisms too. The type of prism on the Golden Eagle is unspecified. Why do the Golden Eagles cost $160.00 more than the Rangers?

Bob

Bob:

I am thinking this new EO model, is the next new China bin, which
we heard about recently as the ZR Prime. The pictures posted look like
they refer to a similar model.

Narrow up the FOV to offer better edges. They will soon be available in
several different makers models like the rest have been.

Jerry

Actually they look more like the Vortex Viper HD to me from a physical perspective. Same field of view as the 8x42 Viper and same weight as well. I am guessing this is EO doing the same thing to the Viper model that they did to with the Atlas Optics Intrepid/Vortex Talon HD.

three votes for Viper HD in black armor, frankly it's indisputable.

identical price, identical specs, etc. plus look at the photos...

Attachments

• bin-vt-vpr-4208-hd-m_xlarge.jpg
    bin-vt-vpr-4208-hd-m_xlarge.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 141
  • bin-eo-gld-702-m_xlarge.jpg
    bin-eo-gld-702-m_xlarge.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 159
not sure what part of the prior three posts was unclear???

it's a Vortex Viper HD but with black rubber armor. The Viper is made in Japan and isn't one of the "China clones".

the ZR Prime is not the same thing, I don't think Vortex would let Charles just copy the Viper.

Jerry,

They don't appear to be the same. From what Charles related to me the Prime HD is an entirely new binocular from the ground up. The eyepiece design alone is entirely unique because of utilizing two field flattener elements. I don't believe that is advertised with the Viper model nor do I remember anyone commenting to experiencing a "flat field" when referencing the Viper's optical performance.

Interestingly though I don't know if I have ever seen a "Viper clone" from any of the other companies that deal with Chinese binoculars. I wonder why that is. If the Viper's base design is readily accessible I wonder why other companies have not utilized it in their own lineups.

it's somewhat amusing how we have gotten to the point where the default assumption for ANY new binocular is that it is some "china bin" clone. I suppose that's the curse of being a "budget brand" like Vortex / EO, but as far as I know all of their higher end models have been unique designs. There certainly aren't any clones of the Razor, the older Rangers, and I am pretty sure the Viper is a totally unique and proprietary design. The only reason EO can "clone" the Viper is that Vortex and EO are owned by the same family.

it's somewhat amusing how we have gotten to the point where the default assumption for ANY new binocular is that it is some "china bin" clone. I suppose that's the curse of being a "budget brand" like Vortex / EO, but as far as I know all of their higher end models have been unique designs. There certainly aren't any clones of the Razor, the older Rangers, and I am pretty sure the Viper is a totally unique and proprietary design. The only reason EO can "clone" the Viper is that Vortex and EO are owned by the same family.

That seems to be a Jerry (ND Hunter) position. He is certainly entitled to his views, but he is so taken with the high end Nikon and Swarovski stuff, he will never be able to accept anything else as a reasonable standard. Again, that's fine. It is just his "polite" way of dissing anything Chinese, of which he certainly is not alone in the viewpoint.

Usually optical manufacturers offer a range of spec combinations, and will build to spec if the run in large enough. I recall that, for example, a Japanese optics company Tamron made (probably still does) make a variety of optical instruments and camera lenses, all sold under different "name" labels. They would make some exceptional stuff now and then, if you as the label owner were willing to pay for it.
Another example is Vixen.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back