• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yellow warbler eating from bird feeder? (1 Viewer)

Kovarr

I live in Newfoundland, Canada. Two days ago I saw what looks like a yellow warbler in our yard (according to google images). We get them in the summer, but never after September. It's been a very warm fall/winter. He's hanging out with our American Goldfinches, and comes to the feeder when they do. He seems to be eating sunflower seeds that have already been broken open, but is having a hard time of it. He goes all over the trees looking for bugs too. According to what I have read up on them, warblers only eat insects. Does anyone know if they can survive on seed? Any ideas on what I can do to try and make it a little easier for this guy? He's going to have a very hard time of it, otherwise.

Not unusual for some warblers to overwinter, especially in well stocked gardens but of course they're always a delight to see. I had a Blackcap in my garden here in the UK (York) a couple of years ago shortly after xmas and it was the only bird feeding on my mom's xmas cake that i got sick of eating! Kept it going for a week so anything fruity might be an idea for your fellah? Hope he survives.

Maybe you could try setting out some mealworms? They'd probably have to be chopped, whole mealworms would probably be too big for a warbler.

You might try fruit too, but I don't know that the Yellow Warbler would eat it or digest it well; only a handful of species such as the Yellow-rumped Warbler regularly consume fruit, which allows that particular species to winter much farther north than others.

Ok, thanks a lot, appreciate it. We get these little guys in the summer, and I really didn't want him to die. If he doesn't make it, as least I know I tried my best. The hard part is going to be putting something out for him that the other birds won't eat up, lol. Those Goldfinches, and the Pine Siskin we have are bully-birds. I'll try some fruitcake we have here.

Update on Yellow Bird

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c88/PardyShannon/Yellowbird1_zps91e877c2.jpg

If anyone would like to see that bird, here is a picture. It seems to eat the cake, but only a few bites. I can't see it getting any bugs, as there is deep snow on the ground, and it doesn't seem to be able to eat seeds at all, just picks them up, looks blank, and drops them. Sadly, there is no way to get live bugs where I live. He must be doing something ok, he's lasted this long.

That's actually a Pine Warbler. You're more likely to see one in the colder months, and it's not unusual for them to turn up at bird feeders.

Great bird! One thing which warblers will eat is suet, over here in the shops you can buy shredded beef suet in packets, one brand is called "Atora". It's for home cooking, baking pies etc. Of course, things may be a little different in Canada, but anyway it's ideal for warblers if you can get it! Also, mealworms can usually be sent in the post..

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back