• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stories Behind Birds You've Photographed (3 Viewers)

SueO

This is a companion thread to BenjiS's, 'Name a Bird You've Photographed'. So many great birds have been posted. Some I've never even heard of, and I can't believe I am the only one in that boat. I googled a few. Some are in far-flung places; places most of us will never see. I wondered about the efforts and stories behind such birds. There must be some adventures to be related. So, here is a thread for those stories.

Andrew Whitehouse posted # 213. Elenora's Falcon and I reminisced about that bird. When my husband Gene charted our route from Simi Island, Greece, to the next stop, he planned on heading north. I had found that I could see an Elenora's on Tilos, which was south. He re-routed.

(January, 2007) When we went ashore, I met a couple who had set up and NGO to protect (among other things) birds. His name was Konstantinos and his wife's name was Candace. She was from Irvine, California, which is close to the area of CA that I am from. She let me look at her field guide and told me where on the Island I should go.

My first excursion was unsuccessful as I got a bit lost. That night, we went to a taverna, and I told the host/owner that I was there to find an Elenora's. He scoffed and said that he had never seen one and I wouldn't see one. He said it was BS from people who were responsible for stopping hunting and forcing the locals to change their way of life. He was quite a character and entertained us with a story of how he had jumped ship in San Diego and had a wild time. Bottom line, he was not happy with the NGO people.

Next day, I somehow found the right bus(es) and got close to where I was supposed to be. I wandered until I found Elenora's flying with Alpine Swifts. I can't put up photos now because I put the photos on an external drive (which I can't find). I do have one of Gene and our taverna owner friend.

That night, we went back to the taverna and I told our host that I had found the bird and I had had a wonderful day. I also told him we would not be enjoying ourselves at his establishment if it weren't for the Eleanora's.

I was lucky that the birds were there at that time otherwise I never would have heard the end of it for making the captain turn left instead of right.

Attachments

• Tilos.jpg
    Tilos.jpg
    201.9 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
This is a companion thread to BenjiS's, 'Name a Bird You've Photographed'. So many great birds have been posted. Some I've never even heard of, and I can't believe I am the only one in that boat. I googled a few. Some are in far-flung places; places most of us will never see. I wondered about the efforts and stories behind such birds. There must be some adventures to be related. So, here is a thread for those stories.

Andrew Whitehouse posted # 213. Elenora's Falcon and I reminisced about that bird. When my husband Gene charted our route from Simi Island, Greece, to the next stop, he planned on heading north. I had found that I could see an Elenora's on Tilos, which was south. He re-routed.

(January, 2007) When we went ashore, I met a couple who had set up and NGO to protect (among other things) birds. His name was Konstantinos and his wife's name was Candace. She was from Irvine, California, which is close to the area of CA that I am from. She let me look at her field guide and told me where on the Island I should go.

My first excursion was unsuccessful as I got a bit lost. That night, we went to a taverna, and I told the host/owner that I was there to find an Elenora's. He scoffed and said that he had never seen one and I wouldn't see one. He said it was BS from people who were responsible for stopping hunting and forcing the locals to change their way of life. He was quite a character and entertained us with a story of how he had jumped ship in San Diego and had a wild time. Bottom line, he was not happy with the NGO people.

Next day, I somehow found the right bus(es) and got close to where I was supposed to be. I wandered until I found Elenora's flying with Alpine Swifts. I can't put up photos now because I put the photos on an external drive (which I can't find). I do have one of Gene and our taverna owner friend.

That night, we went back to the taverna and I told our host that I had found the bird and I had had a wonderful day. I also told him we would not be enjoying ourselves at his establishment if it weren't for the Eleanora's.

I was lucky that the birds were there at that time otherwise I never would have heard the end of it for making the captain turn left instead of right.
I have a few interesting (to me at least) Eleonora's stories. Didn't quite manage to move a boat or anything though ... and not photographed either unfortunately.

First story on here is without a photo. o_OMaybe I should change the title to: Stories Behind Birds You've Photographed But Lost the Photo. Please tell us a story without the photo, Dan.

I was just reminded of the following photo I took of a South Polar Skua harassing a gull (I think Glaucous-winged/ Olympic) on a pelagic trip out of Westport in Washington State in 2011:
After I posted the photo on a trip report, another BF user ('Hyrax') posted a photo that they'd taken:
They were on the same pelagic and must have been standing next to me at the same time I took the photo. I think I spoke to him but didn't realise at the time he was a BF member.

I was just reminded of the following photo I took of a South Polar Skua harassing a gull (I think Glaucous-winged/ Olympic) on a pelagic trip out of Westport in Washington State in 2011:
After I posted the photo on a trip report, another BF user ('Hyrax') posted a photo that they'd taken:
They were on the same pelagic and must have been standing next to me at the same time I took the photo. I think I spoke to him but didn't realise at the time he was a BF member.
Wow. That is amazing! Edit: Speaking of amazing--I am blown away by the pelagic shots on the Name a Bird You've Photographed thread. Those albatross photos are incredible. At first I'm thinking, "How in the world can so many people get shots like that from a boat?", then it dawned on me that not everybody's pelagic adventure took place on a 43 foot sailboat. Even my best photos look like blobs next to the other pelagic shots.

Last edited:
Wow. That is amazing! Edit: Speaking of amazing--I am blown away by the pelagic shots on the Name a Bird You've Photographed thread. Those albatross photos are incredible. At first I'm thinking, "How in the world can so many people get shots like that from a boat?", then it dawned on me that not everybody's pelagic adventure took place on a 43 foot sailboat. Even my best photos look like blobs next to the other pelagic shots.
The pelagic boats they use in New Zealand are fairly small. But they chum pretty well, and the birds come in quite close.

The pelagic boats they use in New Zealand are fairly small. But they chum pretty well, and the birds come in quite close.
I realized after I typed that that we took a boat ride in Nova Scotia to see Puffins. It wasn't a large boat, about 40ft or so, but it was a trawler, not a sailboat and we were in calmer waters rather the open ocean. They didn't chum though. Lol, I didn't think of that! I did get some non-blob shots of Puffins and Razorbills and a few others. Had forgotten that. We had the Galapagos Shearwaters and a Masked Booby land on Peregrine and I got some good shots then. Also, we had calm days off Nicaragua and El Salvador, and Guatemala. We spent a lot of time motoring because there wasn't any wind. The birds were not always close, but lots of them were riding on the backs of turtles or logs and it was much easier to get shots.

Last edited:
I was staying with Hans and Judy Beste in Queensland. One day they took me to explore the Bunya Mountains, one of those memorable days. Already having seen many Lifers that day we arrived at a camp ground and went for a walk which took us into rainforest, fully of nasties and one which Judy pointed out to me was a Stinging Tree. I kept well clear of it!

The path we were on led to a hollow tree and then the reason for this trip became clear, there was an information board by the entrance featuring a Sooty Owl.

Into the tree we went, quite roomy enough for the three of us. Took a few moments to adjust our eyes to the light then we looked up. With my binoculars I could see the owl roosting way up on what looked like a branch (but inside a tree? No idea what that would be called LOL). So I lifted my camera to take a picture, and couldn't find him. Zoomed in.... no. Zoomed out..... no. Looked through my bins, still there. Tried with the camera again, still couldn't see him. I was getting more and more frustrated. Took a picture of the general area, thinking he must be in there somewhere. Picture 1 bang slap in the middle - circled!

However, eventually Hans took pity on me; took my camera and the second picture is what he got. Mind he was about a foot taller than me, so had a bit of an advantage!!!

Attachments

• BF Sooty Owl 21 October, 2019.jpg
    BF Sooty Owl 21 October, 2019.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 24
  • BF_Greater_Sooty_Owl.jpg
    BF_Greater_Sooty_Owl.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 24
One of my favorite photos was almost not captured. I was taking photos of hummingbirds coming to the feeders at a place in SE AZ. Had been there a little over an hour and was about to pack up. I had noticed some Zone-tailed hawks flying around and swung the camera up and around to get a photo. Out of the corner of my eye I saw 2 hummers headed to the feeder at the same time swung around just in time to get them both in frame and focused.

I was staying with Hans and Judy Beste in Queensland. One day they took me to explore the Bunya Mountains, one of those memorable days. Already having seen many Lifers that day we arrived at a camp ground and went for a walk which took us into rainforest, fully of nasties and one which Judy pointed out to me was a Stinging Tree. I kept well clear of it!

The path we were on led to a hollow tree and then the reason for this trip became clear, there was an information board by the entrance featuring a Sooty Owl.

Into the tree we went, quite roomy enough for the three of us. Took a few moments to adjust our eyes to the light then we looked up. With my binoculars I could see the owl roosting way up on what looked like a branch (but inside a tree? No idea what that would be called LOL). So I lifted my camera to take a picture, and couldn't find him. Zoomed in.... no. Zoomed out..... no. Looked through my bins, still there. Tried with the camera again, still couldn't see him. I was getting more and more frustrated. Took a picture of the general area, thinking he must be in there somewhere. Picture 1 bang slap in the middle - circled!

However, eventually Hans took pity on me; took my camera and the second picture is what he got. Mind he was about a foot taller than me, so had a bit of an advantage!!!
:) Nice! Gene and I did a day trip up to Bunya. Don't know how we missed seeing such a tree. I don't have a Sooty Owl on my life list either! I have seen a few of your photos from OZ in the Gallery. You definitely got some good birds and it sounds like you had a great time. I do remember King Parrots landing on my head at Bunya. Wasn't it there where they had the giant 'killer' pinecones? It was a beautiful place!

One of my favorite photos was almost not captured. I was taking photos of hummingbirds coming to the feeders at a place in SE AZ. Had been there a little over an hour and was about to pack up. I had noticed some Zone-tailed hawks flying around and swung the camera up and around to get a photo. Out of the corner of my eye I saw 2 hummers headed to the feeder at the same time swung around just in time to get them both in frame and focused.
Wow! What a great shot!

This image below is by far one of the best images I will ever get of a swallow for a long, long time. It was raining for a while which had forced down some hirundines, majority of which being swallows as well as some house martins. For around an hour I tried to achieve a decent image of one, and just before I packed up I got this photo of one, fully banking and spreading its tail. I was in disbelief when I saw this on the back of my camera screen. Due to the lack of light, I was at 1/1600 which somehow froze nearly all of the bird in flight. I have a better edited photo, but it is not on my chromebook, so I will change the photos around when I get home.

no words.jpg

Edit: Better photo added

Kind regards
Evan

Last edited:
Ecuador, near Mindo, and a straightforward shot of a Velvet-purple Coronet on a log. I was 30-40 feet away, in a hide.

The unusual element was that, immediately after I took the shot, the Coronet lifted off the log and flew right at me, landing on the lens hood of the camera and perching there for a few seconds - but not long enough for me to get my phone out to picture this secondary encounter.

Attachments

• Velvet-purple Coronet 30D-denoise.JPG
    Velvet-purple Coronet 30D-denoise.JPG
    12.8 MB · Views: 10
Just posted a pic on the photo thread and I was drawn to add the background.

Last August/September, I was on a month long trip to Peru with a friend and Tanager Tours. We had spent a few days on some Andes specialities (Royal Cinclodes etc) before heading down the Manu Road (Ipal Ecolodge, Cock of the Rock Lodge, Villa Carmen, etc) and then down the river. I had had a bit of a dip in mood whilst searching for bamboo specialities at Villa Carmen - not helped by having left home shortly after losing my father to a traumatic short illness. I was not at my best. Slogging the bamboo and clambering through and over it at times had also triggered some knee pain. I would have given myself 3 out of 10 for mental and physical fitness!

On 1st September, we were due to head to Pantiacolla Lodge by boat but had the opportunity if we chose to divert to look for a Long-tailed Potoo. It seemed worthwhile albeit the gen was secondhand information. So we decided to give it a crack. It was about a 45 minute diversion in the opposite direction by boat. As we turned in the direction to take that diversion, it became obvious that we were heading towards some apocalyptic clouds. All optics and camera equipment were hastily put into waterproof receptacles and we decided on whether to turn tail. We ploughed on and the heavens duly opened with an extraordinary thunderstorm. We had a conversation about abandoning as we got more and more drenched but that would only really have meant that we were travelling with the weather.

We had just about got through the thunder storm when we arrived to wade ashore. The Potoo was apparently to be found alongside the main path after about 30 minutes' walk. First we had to find the main path and that meant cutting across a sand bank and finding our way through some vegetation. After five minutes, we were on the main path and trying to get to the site before the next rainstorm.

We duly arrived to the extraordinary site of the Potoo. My first ever experience of a Potoo by day. I had previously seen a Great Potoo or two at night. A small hint where the bird joined the branch suggested that there may be a hidden chick under the breast feathers. It started raining again albeit not too heavily. It was clear that the adult Potoo was taking the opportunity to have a drink and then the chick no doubt sensing the same opportunity came to life and also emerged. :)

That experience sticks with me very vividly as I type this. Truly magical and a significant boost to my mood. ❤️

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Long-tailed Potoo A.jpg
    Long-tailed Potoo A.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • Long-tailed Potoo B.jpg
    Long-tailed Potoo B.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Not so much for a story linked to it, but because of what it represents to me. Anyone who birds with me knows that I love Cotingas with a passion, easily contender for my favorite bird family, however, the main reason for this isn't due to the gaudy Cock-of-the-Rock species, the loud Bellbirds or even the jewel-like "true" Cotingas.

It all started with me watching Attenborough's Life of Birds a little bit after I began birding and I was just hooked on the session they talked about the Calfbird (now named Capuchinbird) and I was just so amazed on a bird that sounded so outlandish right from the top of the canopy, this was what made it clear that international birding was a must for me since there would be no bird like it in the US.

Skip about 8 years, once the issues with Covid went down, I contacted a guide in Guyana, put together a trip with 2 more birders (both of which had species on their life lists in the thousands, while I was barely past 500) and made a trip to the country. The Capuchinbird was among the first birds I saw on day 1 of the trip and experiencing that lekking behavior made it clear that I made the right choice as seeing a video and experiencing it in the field are completely different experiences.
Sadly my photo isn't great, but it's the best I could do with the camera at the time and the limited viewing window: ML418233121 - Capuchinbird - Macaulay Library

My husband found a small black chinned hummingbird on our porch. It had been attacked or something by a larger bird, my husband couldn’t identify. He picked it up and we took it to a safe area and the hummer just flew off easily. I love the beautiful purple throat. We live in the country just outside Uvalde, Texas. The picture was taken April 5,2024.

Attachments

• IMG_3240.jpeg
    IMG_3240.jpeg
    310.6 KB · Views: 7
This picture and story are copied from my gallery. The photo of an Albert's Lyrebird was taken a few years before my wife got me into birdwatching and before I discovered this cool website.

I took this picture on my honeymoon in 2002 using an old film camera. My wife and I had just started a hike from O’Reilly’s Lodge to the Binna Burra Lodge in Queensland, Australia. After just a few minutes we saw this bird scratching for food near the trail. My wife was very excited as her mom had been trying to see this bird for years. Not being a bird watcher back then, I took this picture and didn’t think more of it. When we met my mother-in-law at Binna Burra and told her about seeing the bird, she was a bit miffed that I’d seen one so easily. I mentioned that I probably had a pretty good picture and we all rushed to a nearby store that did one-hour developing (remember those days?). The result is what you see here, and my poor mother-in-law was miffed again.

Attachments

• Alberts.jpg
    Alberts.jpg
    519.4 KB · Views: 12

Users who are viewing this thread

Back