• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black-backed Woodpecker (1 Viewer)

Hi all, A friend and I were off yesterday on a conditioning hike on the flanks of Mt. Hood, Oregon (USA). I know that when she says "conditioning hike" that means "sweat in the eye". After 3,000 feet of elevation gain we broke through timberline and into the high meadows just below the mountain proper. Lots of wildflowers, the intent on these hikes is that I get to take wildflower photos on the way down (this part of the world there being only two directions -- up and down) and we stop very little on the way up.

We were about a mile back into the forest when I heard a woodpecker and turned to see a female Black-backed Woodpecker (Picoides arcticus) working a tree above me. She was knocking off some fairly big chips of bark as she moved up and around the tree, seemingly oblivious to us. This is only the second time I have seen this species, not a common bird here, and a great view. Something that was completely unexpected on a "conditioning hike".

After 10 hours we were back at the car and heading home, tired but very pleased at the flowers, the views, and the Black-backed Woodpecker -- one of those completely unexpected sigthings which occur from time to time.

Sounds like a great day, Bob. You are obviously in great condition, otherwise your panting/ gasping for breath would've scared the Woodpecker away ;) I quite often see 'power walkers' and suchlike charging around the countryside, their eyes only on the path ahead and missing so much (their flourescent jackets don't exactly help either).

I consider getting from my front door to the car with my photo gear a 'conditioning hike'

Thanks,
Andy

Just Luck

Andy,
Nothing but sheer luck kept my gasping for breath from freightening the bird away. Know what you mean about photo gear. When we go taping I dread throwing the tripod over my shoulder -- but age has taught me that moving very slowly isn't all that bad.
Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back