• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Back in Western Mexico (1 Viewer)

SueO

Thought I had my first lifer from Barra de Navidad, Mexico, in what must be years, but it was a non-lifer, lifer. It was a Magpie-jay. I just happened to look up and Wow! Didn't have time to register it properly. It flew overhead at quite a distance, but it was obvious it was a Magpie-jay. I was sure it was a lifer because I thought there was only one species here. I got the White-throated in Hualtulco years ago. Unfortunately, when I got back aboard Peregrine and looked it up, I found both the Black-throated and White-throated were here. I'm pretty sure it was the Black-throated as I think I saw white from neck down, but I am not certain enough of that to list it. I can't believe I've never seen either here before. I will try to get out about the same time in the coming weeks and keep my eyes up! Hopefully, I will be able to list. Yesterday morning I glanced up and saw three Roseate Spoonbills flickering pink against the Robin's egg blue sky--beautiful! I'll post a species list when we leave.

Hope you manage to set eyes on them again Sue. At least you're fore-warned now eh LOL

Thanks, Delia. I was thinking of you the other night, as I got on an Hebrides jag and was on the net 'travelling'. I got cold.;)

Lots of great birds here and many are active in various stages of courting and nesting. Yesterday, I spent an hour watching a family of Pale-billed Woodpeckers. I only saw three of them, so don't know if a chick was lost? I saw what I figured was a fledgling beg Daddy for some food. He called in a nasally whine and Daddy fed him even though they were both digging away at the trees. Really spectacular birds. This was on the grounds of the hotel! The gardens are beautiful. I love it here.

Attachments

• PBW.jpg
    PBW.jpg
    134.7 KB · Views: 6
Nice Woody picture. I am hoping to see Pileated Woodpeckers in Oregon this summer.

Hi Lisa. Hope you see them! I have only had quick views. I'm going up to the Redwoods in Northern Ca in June. Hope to see a few winged beasties while I'm up there. Only going for a few days though. I hope you are enjoying your travels.

Peregrine has been moored here nearly 10 years. There are birds I am still looking for. One of them is a Flammulated Flycatcher. Maybe this time. I am also scanning the higher tree branches in hopes of finding a Northern Potoo. Hope springs eternal!

I hope you are enjoying your travels.

Hi, Sue. Well the travels are ending for the most part. We just bought a house in Southern Oregon - Coos Bay. Really looking forward to the birding there it is supposed to be quite nice. Once we get furniture (we have nothing 😬) and get moved in we are selling the 40 ft beast of an RV. We do plan on getting a smaller one to do short jaunts up and down the coast.

Hi, Sue. Well the travels are ending for the most part. We just bought a house in Southern Oregon - Coos Bay. Really looking forward to the birding there it is supposed to be quite nice. Once we get furniture (we have nothing 😬) and get moved in we are selling the 40 ft beast of an RV. We do plan on getting a smaller one to do short jaunts up and down the coast.
Totally different ecosystem than Bisbee! Sounds beautiful. Driving the 101 is always fun. I know about the furniture. When we were in Italy, a fire ravaged our canyon in San Diego County. Every other house burned to the ground and most of the trees and scrub was burned to blackened sticks. I cried when I saw it. Our house survived, but nearly all our stuff in storage containers was burned. We got the basics and filled in as needed. Good luck!

Sad to hear about the furniture, happy the house survived. We dodged the bullet on a few AZ fires when we lived there.

Hi Sue,
Hope you nail it soon.
Dipped on both species when we were in Barra de Navidad. Did see the Black-throated in Bandaras Bay and like you the White throated in Hualtulco.
Costa Rica is outside the range of the Black-throated’s so I’m out of luck seeing them here.
Was in Guanacaste last month and the White-throated were living their best life everywhere.
Cheers,

Hi Sue,
Hope you nail it soon.
Dipped on both species when we were in Barra de Navidad. Did see the Black-throated in Bandaras Bay and like you the White throated in Hualtulco.
Costa Rica is outside the range of the Black-throated’s so I’m out of luck seeing them here.
Was in Guanacaste last month and the White-throated were living their best life everywhere.
Cheers,
Thanks, Bryan. The White-throated in Hualtulco were in the park across the street from the marina, just hanging out and easy to see. I guess I'd forgotten they were in range in Barra is because I've never seen them, and they didn't seem to be secretive birds. However, I didn't see either Magpie Jay again. Lots of San Blas Jays though. Also, didn't get the Flammulated Flycatcher, again. We're back in Southern California. Thinking going back in September.

Missed the Flammulated Flycatcher when we were there, in fact I dipped on quite a few species in Mexico so hope to go back someday. The Tufted Jay being pretty high on that wish list.

Were you able to visit Peregrine during the lockdown?
Copernicus was on the hard in Nova Scotia when the province shut down for the pandemic. We happened to be birding and working in Costa Rica at the time so decided to ride it out there.
Awful for any sailing but pretty sweet for birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back