• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best place to buy a Tamron/Kenco teleconverter? (1 Viewer)

senatore

I hope to get a Tamron/Kenco 1.4 teleconverter to go with my 350D/Canon 400 f5.6 lens as I am told it will not effect AF and is not too expensive.

Does anyone know the place with the best price ?

Max.

I got my Kenko Pro 300 1.4x tc from an ebay seller, it was a new/boxed item and was delivered very quickly. I think I paid about £65 (including shipping), and it's been worth every penny.

postcardcv said:
I got my Kenko Pro 300 1.4x tc from an ebay seller, it was a new/boxed item and was delivered very quickly. I think I paid about £65 (including shipping), and it's been worth every penny.

I think the kenco pro 300 1.4 tc needs the three left hand contacts on the lens to be taped to achieve AF with a f5.6 lens.The cheaper Kenco converter does not, but is not of the same quality.

Hi Roy,
That's what I heard hence I am going for the cheaper tc.However I am worried about the quality and hope they are not a waste of money when used with my canon 400 f5.6.Anyone know?

Max.

senatore said:
Hi Roy,
That's what I heard hence I am going for the cheaper tc.However I am worried about the quality and hope they are not a waste of money when used with my canon 400 f5.6.Anyone know?

Max.

Hi Max,

Looking into this myself at the moment and my understanding is that the Kenco PRO300 with the pins taped is the best option. The cheaper TC has, I believe, a big negative effect on image quality.

All the best

Paul

As Paul says, I would be suprised if the cheapo Kenco does not have a negative effect on image quality. I use a Canon 1.4 tc (with the pins taped) and even with this tc I have not had many decent shots (probably my fault - I hate using a tripod!)

Max I am using the Kenko pro 300 dg on the canon 400 F5.6 with the pins taped to get AF. For the most part it works, as long as you have good light. So far I have been quite pleased with the results.

I got mine from Ebay Digital rev and only paid the published price + postage i.e. not import or vat added.

I have used the cheaper Teleplus MC7, results very disappointing in that the quality is degraded.

I would go for the Pro version if you don't like it you can always resell and recoup most of your outlay.

Best of luck whichever way you go.

Pete

Please correct me if I am wrong but my Kenko pro300 1.4tc has one of the pins missing therefore it doesn`t tell the camera of the F number allowing autfocus beyond f5.6.As for the optical quality it is superb & you should get better photos with your lens as it`s a prime.

Steve(preparing to be told i`m wrong)

stevo said:
Please correct me if I am wrong but my Kenko pro300 1.4tc has one of the pins missing therefore it doesn`t tell the camera of the F number allowing autfocus beyond f5.6.As for the optical quality it is superb & you should get better photos with your lens as it`s a prime.

Steve(preparing to be told i`m wrong)

You are correct Steve, with the pins taped the camera does not know the tc is there and only reports the F number the lens is set at.

As I have only used mine with the pins taped I cannot say wether this si still the same without the tape.

Perhaps someone else can comment.

Pete

Hi everyone thanks for the replies.

I see no one has said they use the cheaper tc and get good quality pics so I might have to go for the pro 300 but "taping the pins" scares me.

Max.

There is apparently a cheap Tamron 1x4 converter that works very well with that lens without the need for taping pins at all. I am not sure if this is because the pins are not there or it just does not need taping.
I know they are available from B&H in New York but they don`t offer any refund of VAT etc. I will investigate further.

JohnZ said:
There is apparently a cheap Tamron 1x4 converter that works very well with that lens without the need for taping pins at all. I am not sure if this is because the pins are not there or it just does not need taping.
I know they are available from B&H in New York but they don`t offer any refund of VAT etc. I will investigate further.
Hi John,
I am sure some other post said there was no difference between the Tamron/Kenco 1.4 tc's and they may even be the same.Mind you I could have mis-remembered !!!

It would be great if there was a cheap tc out there that does not affect AF and gave good quality pics.I will dream on.

Max.

Roy C said:
As Paul says, I would be suprised if the cheapo Kenco does not have a negative effect on image quality. I use a Canon 1.4 tc (with the pins taped) and even with this tc I have not had many decent shots (probably my fault - I hate using a tripod!)

I also use the Canon Extender 1.4x (pins taped) with my 400mm f/5.6 and though image quality is just a bit deteriorated if compared to the naked lens, it doesn't affect the lens's performance that much, as long as you work in good light (at dawn/dusk it tends to hunt a bit)
PS I always use a tripod + remote switch

The TC you need is the Kenko pro300 1.4xtc this is Kenko`s top of the range model & features the missing pin allowing AF beyond f5.6 I think Warehouseexpress has them for about £140 I have one of of these & it AF`s without the need for taping the pins the optical qualiy is great.

Steve.

stevo said:
The TC you need is the Kenko pro300 1.4xtc this is Kenko`s top of the range model & features the missing pin allowing AF beyond f5.6 I think Warehouseexpress has them for about £140 I have one of of these & it AF`s without the need for taping the pins the optical qualiy is great.

Steve.
Hi Steve,
I think that's the way I will go.

Max.

stevo said:

Steve.
Just purchased this model,optically excellent and AF works fine when coupled with my sigma 80-400 os,not sure if im imagining this,but the quality has seemed to improve with the TC attached,not sure if this is possible though!!

Hi Everyone again,
I have just received the Kenco Pro 300DG I ordered from UR Galaxy and it cost me £62 + P&P from Hong Kong.As you all warned me the AF does not work with my Canon 400 f5.6 so I will have to do some taping which I do not understand.Could someone explain how to do this assuming you will be telling an idiot.I don't even know what tape to use !!!!

Max.

Looking down into the top of the end that fits inside the 400mm lens put the pins at 12 o'clock and it's the three far left ones you need to tape. I just used ordinary insulation tape - once in place just leave it there - it shouldn't need replacing - but if it does it comes off easily enough and doesn't leave residue.

Why doesnt the autofocus work, ive got the sigma 80-400 os and it works fine with that, make sure you attach the TC first and that it is attached to the camera properly before attaching the lens

IanF said:
Looking down into the top of the end that fits inside the 400mm lens put the pins at 12 o'clock and it's the three far left ones you need to tape. I just used ordinary insulation tape - once in place just leave it there - it shouldn't need replacing - but if it does it comes off easily enough and doesn't leave residue.
Hi Ian,
Did what you said and the AF worked so went out to try my luck at my local patch.Results were very mixed and only a few pics were sharp.The AF hunted a lot and sometimes I had to go to MF.I will persevere and hope things will improve.Do you get good results?

Max.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back