• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you help with this please on Crete (1 Viewer)

ColD

Save the Egyptian Vulture in Greece
I think the light [midday] has thrown the colours of this bird , did not see it fly and cannot ID it.But looks Song Thrush size ! Thanks
ColD

Attachments

• Copy (1) of IMG_2809_1.jpg
    Copy (1) of IMG_2809_1.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 220
I think the tail looks too long for a Song Thrush. Also seems to show streaks (rather than spots) on the flanks and a hint of a pale supercilium. Colour is greyish (not brownish) so I would go for Water Pipit.

Seems wrong for Song Thrush in some ways but not right for a pipit either. The head looks like thrush but surely too long tailed, too grey and white, not boldly spotted enough for ST etc. Even the head doesnt look quite right for ST. Maybe the habitat looks slightly unusual for ST in a uk context and that might suggest a pipit along with the long looking tail but surely that bill is a bit hefty for a pipit. Im not sure, in life it would probably be obvious but in this photo on a friday night after having a few its not that clear to me;)

Seems wrong for Song Thrush in some ways but not right for a pipit either. The head looks like thrush but surely too long tailed, too grey and white, not boldly spotted enough for ST etc. Even the head doesnt look quite right for ST. Maybe the habitat looks slightly unusual for ST in a uk context and that might suggest a pipit along with the long looking tail but surely that bill is a bit hefty for a pipit. Im not sure, in life it would probably be obvious but in this photo on a friday night after having a few its not that clear to me;)

Agree!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back