• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Greater Sandplover or "lesser", Sharm, Egypt, 14-12-23 (1 Viewer)

Earnest lad

Please may I request help.
Before 14th December I had never seen any Sandplover ever. I had to chance to see some though: I was aware the id can be challenging. I believe Greater is common here, but there might also be lesser present. (Tibetan s-p)
Please may I request help with a bird photographed : I didn't see the flight pattern, but I "think" it is Greater Sandplover due to (1) some black on the tail (2) the size of the bill. However I am confused by the colour of the legs.
If anyone with more experience than myself would be so kind as to comment on this and confirm for me this is the species please; I would be very grateful.

Attachments

• D2-0178.JPG
    D2-0178.JPG
    578.8 KB · Views: 50
  • D2-0179.JPG
    D2-0179.JPG
    435.2 KB · Views: 58
  • D2-0180.JPG
    D2-0180.JPG
    617.9 KB · Views: 53
  • D2-0181.JPG
    D2-0181.JPG
    598.6 KB · Views: 52
  • D2-0182.JPG
    D2-0182.JPG
    588.8 KB · Views: 43
  • D2-0183.JPG
    16.6 MB · Views: 5
  • D2-0184.JPG
    D2-0184.JPG
    616.1 KB · Views: 48
  • D2-0185.JPG
    D2-0185.JPG
    535.5 KB · Views: 50
  • D2-0186.JPG
    D2-0186.JPG
    524.6 KB · Views: 50
  • D2-0187.JPG
    D2-0187.JPG
    380.8 KB · Views: 50
Guessing at poor quality photos is just that. Until a good quality photo or video is obtained then just keep on guessing!:)

Last edited:
Guessing at poor quality photos is just that. Until a good quality photo or video is obtained then just keep on guessing!:)
Thats a good point. I have some other photos of sandplovers and will post some to see if it is possible to come up with a conclusive id. These sandplovers are so hard aren't they.

Be aware that lesser now is either Siberian or Tibetan .,...
Niels
Yes, thank you.
I have looked it up and it appears the viable alternatives for the Red Sea area are
Greater Sandplover Charadrius leschenaultii (ssp. columbinus)
Tibetan Sandplover Charadrius atrifrons (ssp pamirensis)

Last edited:
Yes, thank you.
I have looked it up and it appears the viable alternatives for the Red Sea area are
Greater Sandplover Charadrius leschenaultii (ssp. columbinus)
Tibetan Sandplover Charadrius atrifrons (ssp pamirensis)
Bear in mind that columbinus, the smallest subspecies of Greater Sandplover Anarhynchus leschenaulti, has for decades been confused with A. a. atrifrons, nominate Siberian Sandplover to the extent that many earlier records in that general area have been expunged because the descriptions were inadequate for certainty to be expressed.
MJB

Bear in mind that columbinus, the smallest subspecies of Greater Sandplover Anarhynchus leschenaulti, has for decades been confused with A. a. atrifrons, nominate Siberian Sandplover to the extent that many earlier records in that general area have been expunged because the descriptions were inadequate for certainty to be expressed.
MJB
Notice that atrifrons is Tibetan, not Siberian
Niels

MJB
I think the birds I were seeing and photographing (lots of them) must have been columbinus but because columbinus is a small variant of GSP, the bill size doesnt help really in distinguishing from a possible Tibetan SP. It seems very hard. The bill size seems to be "in between" Greater and Tibetan- eg with the attached photo.

Attachments

• D2-0094.JPG
    D2-0094.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I think the bill is still useful for separation. This bird (and the one in your first post) has a large, long bill with a sharp tip, unlike the bill of Tibetan but consistent with columbinus. And as I mentioned in my earlier comment, the head pattern also fits for Greater - Tibetan has a longer, more obvious supercilium, more extensive white on the forehead and often paler lores.

Compare your bird against these Tibetan:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back