• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

County Louth (formerly Dundalk Bay) local patch. (16 Viewers)

The Ramparts along the brewery on the Ardee Road has been dredged in the last week. JCB has deepened and widened the channel. Totally cleared the vegetation in and along the river as well as overhanging branches. They seem to be heading to Balmers bog next - I saw a JCB in the field tonight. Right in the middle of the breeding season too.

Maybe ring npws and/or send photos (046 9093506) - vegetation cannot be destriyed from 1st march to 31st august unless for agricultural purposes of if there is a danger to human health and sefaty (eg if vegetation is blocking visibility on roads).

An amazing dearth of terns around carlingford lough this year - only seen three so far - normally there would be hundredsof sandwich and dozens of common with a few arctic. Last year the breeding effort was completely wiped out on Greenisland in carlignford lough - maybe the terns have finally given up?

I hear my father is listening to the Cuckoo early morning in Omeath Park woods a while now so I must ask him on monday about roughly what date it arrived. I came close upon by accident my first totally black headed male Reed Bunting bird in Hawthorn this morning and a quite unmistakeable bird. I have two lovely Colared Doves seem to have moved in here to live and feed seeds ...........hungry birds indeed with a big appetite. Dozens of beautiful Redpolls daily and very contented. I thought I saw the back of one Redwing the other day but perhaps it was a Mistle Thrush or Song Thrush, just it was where I saw the last couple of them. I see photos of Sand Martins yesterday on barbed wire on a County Down website and they were the unusual birds with sleepy eyes I think I saw high in the Hawthorn about twice last summer. (they really look the same anyhow).

Here are some photos of this little very browny bird that bold Felix was playing with in my garden. He was in shock for a good while but flew off fine afterwards.

Attachments

• very browny bird 009.jpg
    very browny bird 009.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 52
  • very browny bird 010.jpg
    very browny bird 010.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 44
  • very browny bird 012.jpg
    very browny bird 012.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 41
  • very browny bird 004.jpg
    very browny bird 004.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 48
  • very browny bird 007.jpg
    very browny bird 007.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 49
Tis a wee female house sparrow, i think a juv if yellow around gape. I had a cuckoo calling on friday near the windy gap, first ive heard so far this year.

Sitll no terns around here...

Tis a wee female house sparrow, i think a juv if yellow around gape. I had a cuckoo calling on friday near the windy gap, first ive heard so far this year.

Sitll no terns around here...

Indeed it would have to be a juvenile for Felix to catch it as he is getting lazy but it was so tiny and cute. I have 5 or 6 Swifts flying really low over garden this two days and the underside is totally black to me but must actually be very dark brown and not a trace of white at all around neck. They are just gorgeous birds so would these be known as Common Swifts as the Palid ones are smaller. I remember plenty of the smaller ones last year but these ones are definitely a bit larger. Swallows flying unbelievably low right over my garden too.

Had a young house sparrow with no tail feathers in my back garden today, Took a walk up along the boyne and saw sand martins nesting in the banks along the side, I hope we dont get any flash floods as that area is liable for flooding. Also a pair of Buzzards circling overhead up along the canal. Also long tailed tits, Yellowhammer, Reed buntings and a warbler( I could not id it) along with the usual tits and lbj,s. Plenty of swifts,swallows and house martins flying around my house the past few weeks.

Have seen a pair of gold finches around the Finbar est. the rock pipits and their young have been having a good feed on worms after the recent rain - Also seen a few linnets eating daisy seeds last week,and have been watching the house martins from the loakers flying around

In the small field behind the smarthomes unit there is a song thrush at the top of a tree(on the far RH side) that has been constantly singing in superb voice (I know how it got its name now)

The Little Tern Conservation Project at Baltray is in full swing. So far there are 27 nests with 60 eggs. Round the clock wardening is now in place. If anyone wishes to help out, we would be delighted, you can get in touch with us on 086 2434874 or email [email protected]. We need volunteer wardens between 9am and 6pm each day.

You look out at your trees everyday and you see the usual lovely Sparrows,Redpolls,Chaffinches, Dunocks,Blue Tits mainly etc etc and you just never know the minute the hour the day you see something quite different. I just saw five gorgeous very different birds, I think maybe some type of quite colourful Pipits or else Larks (but not sure at all) as had very heavy dark beautiful markings on their upper chests and also upper chests seemed really top heavy and large also.Their chests were like heart shaped to me. I could see a long yellow stripe down side of one and and very nice black design on the back of one too, seemed to be a lot of browny on them too, but not enough time to give much more detail except that I have never seen anything like them before. Very puzzling birds as just so totally unsure of what they were. I could hear a lovely different sound in garden bit tinkling so thats why I thought maybe Pipits but quite a few birds around.

Last edited:
I think I saw some sort of Lark birds and saw the things I recall when looking at photos of Larks later today such as top heavy heart shaped chests (which I thought I was daft describing but couldnt believe to see the same shape of chest) with same heavy dark markings. Also the black sort of circly design on lower back and also clearly remember the white down left and right sides of black tail and think a shortish tail. I remember thinking at first that they were female Yellowhammers but then thought not quite right.

Last Friday I was at Gyle's Quay and saw a Fulmar picking small crabs from the sea (in about a foot of water) it then flew onto some nearby rocks and was trying to smash them or kill them by throwing them down (with its big bill) also saw a Reed Bunting at the Finbar Ind.Est. (first time around there) and what I thought were Rock pipits are actually Meadow Pipits (red legs) - If anyone wants to see them in song flight they are constantly there by the Smarthomes unit where they have big pyramid bollards blocking a tarmac road/parking lot ! amazing to watch,they fly up to about 30/40 foot while tweeting and then free fall/glide down like little parachutes whilst changing their tweet to a more twoo twoo twoo note.

Last Friday I was at Gyle's Quay and saw a Fulmar picking small crabs from the sea (in about a foot of water) it then flew onto some nearby rocks and was trying to smash them or kill them by throwing them down (with its big bill) also saw a Reed Bunting at the Finbar Ind.Est. (first time around there) and what I thought were Rock pipits are actually Meadow Pipits (red legs) - If anyone wants to see them in song flight they are constantly there by the Smarthomes unit where they have big pyramid bollards blocking a tarmac road/parking lot ! amazing to watch,they fly up to about 30/40 foot while tweeting and then free fall/glide down like little parachutes whilst changing their tweet to a more twoo twoo twoo note.
A great description and the sort that stays in your mind .... thanks.

The Little Tern Conservation Project at Baltray is going well, with a total of 38 active nests and 89 eggs. We should have chicks hatching in the next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back