• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

100-400: IS on with beanbag?? (1 Viewer)

AndyMc

I'd be interested in other user's preference in IS when using a beanbag for support.
I know that it is supposed to be turned off when on a sturdy tripod etc
I'm damned if I can make my mind up :h?:having similar reject ratios both ways. Doesn't help when I can't remember :smoke:which pics had it on & which had it off (no-show on exif)
I'm actually thinking that it mainly depends on how many beers I've knocked back the day beforeB :)

I am too lazy to turn the IS off, whether the lens is 1-400, 328 + 2X or Sigma 150-500.
At one time I turned off the IS on my 328 with 2X on tripod, and forgot to set it back the next outing, disastrous!

I have the 100-400L and over a week I did a a fairly comprehensive comparison between IS on and off while using a bean bag.

I found that leaving the IS on gave me a lot more keepers than IS off

Always on IS mode one. I have tried a number of times to see if it is worth switching and never noticed much difference

EDIT If I switch to a tripod then I take it off, but I usually go hand held with the 100-400

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for taking the time to reply.
Looks like I'll carry on leaving it on, now with some peace of mind.:smoke:

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back