• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OM-1 with Olympus M.Zuiko 150 x 400mm TC Pro (1 Viewer)

Steve Heath

Raided my savings and part-exchanged my Zuiko 300mm Pro for the 150 - 400mm. Still squirming with guilt over £6799. Here’s a (very) brief amateur review. Much more comprehensive reviews are widely available. This is aimed at those who are put off by the price.

Build quality is excellent. It reminds me of my old second hand Canon 500mm F4. As solid and durable but much, much lighter. At 1.875 Kg it’s a whopper in micro 4/3 terms, but comfortable to hold and carry around for a day. Image stabilisation is impressive with 8 steps of compensation. This allowed me to shoot hand-held for a few minutes at a time with short rests between. Autofocus is ultra fast making this a great bird photography lens. The zoom ring is smooth and easy to adjust, especially with the lens on a tripod/monopod or beanbag. Image quality is comparable with the 300mm Pro, an observation based on field photography of birds rather than a formal comparison using test cards, even with the built in TC engaged. The 300-1000mm FF equivalent reach makes this one of the most versatile wildlife lenses on the market. The micro 4/3 will always limit the lens performance when compared to FF primes super telephotos. The high iso required for low light shooting (e.g. in woodland) does degrade the IQ. This can be largely rectified post processing, but I’m not fond of this side of things, preferring to shoot Jpeg and process minimally at home. The OM 300mm pro is a great birding lens in nearly every respect. But I wanted greater reach and the flexibility of a zoom. Were these advantages worth an extra £4400? Short answer - no! But am I glad I got the lens. Definitely. It is the best all round bird lens I have ever used and half the price of a ff prime with much greater flexibility. This lens is not a necessity - there are plenty of cheaper lens on the mirrorless market that will give comparable performance, albeit over a shorter focal length.

Last edited:
WOW you answered the question no OM system ambassador gave me an answer, how its sharpness compared to the 300 mm f4.
Good luck with you new lens, hope you enjoy it.
i hope the new anticipated 50-250 mm f4 can take TC's and it comes with nice price and in-sync-IS.

I’ve also made this same leap within the past week.
The extra reach from the 300f4 has always tempted me, but the versatility that the 150-400 zoom provides was also a big factor. I was keen to see if the extra size was manageable on a day out, along with carrying scope etc (atx 95, so not a small rig!).
Had a couple of days on the East Yorks coast with it - really please with the performance/results and pleasantly surprised by how comfortable it was on the black rapid strap across me shoulders.
I had expected to find that the combined weight of the scope and bigger camera setup to be too much over a long day - with the thought of selling my scope to offset the (hefty) price of the scope, so the fact both are manageable presents another dilemma.
Anyway, got a month to decide whether to return the lens / sell the scope / neg my boss for extra overtime!

Raided my savings and part-exchanged my Zuiko 300mm Pro for the 150 - 400mm. Still squirming with guilt over £6799. Here’s a (very) brief amateur review. Much more comprehensive reviews are widely available. This is aimed at those who are put off by the price.

Build quality is excellent. It reminds me of my old second hand Canon 500mm F4. As solid and durable but much, much lighter. At 1.875 Kg it’s a whopper in micro 4/3 terms, but comfortable to hold and carry around for a day. Image stabilisation is impressive with 8 steps of compensation. This allowed me to shoot hand-held for a few minutes at a time with short rests between. Autofocus is ultra fast making this a great bird photography lens. The zoom ring is smooth and easy to adjust, especially with the lens on a tripod/monopod or beanbag. Image quality is comparable with the 300mm Pro, an observation based on field photography of birds rather than a formal comparison using test cards, even with the built in TC engaged. The 300-1000mm FF equivalent reach makes this one of the most versatile wildlife lenses on the market. The micro 4/3 will always limit the lens performance when compared to FF primes super telephotos. The high iso required for low light shooting (e.g. in woodland) does degrade the IQ. This can be largely rectified post processing, but I’m not fond of this side of things, preferring to shoot Jpeg and process minimally at home. The OM 300mm pro is a great birding lens in nearly every respect. But I wanted greater reach and the flexibility of a zoom. Were these advantages worth an extra £4400? Short answer - no! But am I glad I got the lens. Definitely. It is the best all round bird lens I have ever used and half the price of a ff prime with much greater flexibility. This lens is not a necessity - there are plenty of cheaper lens on the mirrorless market that will give comparable performance, albeit over a shorter focal length.
Hi Steve, Now you have had the lens for a month or so i would like to ask your thoughts about it. Do you shoot with the OM-1 camera as this is the set up i would like if i jump ship from the Sony A9 and 200-600mm lens.

Thanks In Advance, Pete.

I’ve also made this same leap within the past week.
The extra reach from the 300f4 has always tempted me, but the versatility that the 150-400 zoom provides was also a big factor. I was keen to see if the extra size was manageable on a day out, along with carrying scope etc (atx 95, so not a small rig!).
Had a couple of days on the East Yorks coast with it - really please with the performance/results and pleasantly surprised by how comfortable it was on the black rapid strap across me shoulders.
I had expected to find that the combined weight of the scope and bigger camera setup to be too much over a long day - with the thought of selling my scope to offset the (hefty) price of the scope, so the fact both are manageable presents another dilemma.
Anyway, got a month to decide whether to return the lens / sell the scope / neg my boss for extra overtime!
Hi DCC1976, Now you have had the lens for a a few weeks or so i would like to ask your thoughts about it. Do you shoot with the OM-1 camera as this is the set up i would like if i jump ship from the Sony A9 and 200-600mm lens.

Thanks In Advance, Pete.

Update. After 6 weeks have decided to get rid of the lens. I standby my review but….here‘s the but… compared with my previous canon 100-400 mk ii on the 7D the images were often softer in low light. I could blame the lens but after careful thought I think it was my poor technique. In short I struggled to keep it steady when handheld, despite the lens and in camera IS. I’ve taken a hit! To answer your question Pete, in my view this lens is not worth the extra £4400 as its a bit too unwieldy (for me at least) and its low light performance doesn't justify the price tag.

Hi Steve, Thanks for your fast reply. I have read numerous reviews of the Olympus gear both good and not so good. In Britain their are a lots of gloomy days and maybe the Olympus gear would be a better set up for sunnier climates. As you say it is a lot of expense for a lens that you are not entirely happy with. I will probably stick with my Sony system for the time being. I love the 200-600mm Sony lens so maybe i will upgrade the A9 camera to an A1 which will certainly be cheaper for me.
Pete.

Hi Steve, Thanks for your fast reply. I have read numerous reviews of the Olympus gear both good and not so good. In Britain their are a lots of gloomy days and maybe the Olympus gear would be a better set up for sunnier climates. As you say it is a lot of expense for a lens that you are not entirely happy with. I will probably stick with my Sony system for the time being. I love the 200-600mm Sony lens so maybe i will upgrade the A9 camera to an A1 which will certainly be cheaper for me.
Pete.
Mike Lane on youtube done a comparison video of the a1 and 200-600 against the om1 and 150-400

Hi Niels - Have decided to focus on macro photography after 17 years of mainly bird photography. I may go back to the OM 300 F4 in the future. It is a brilliant lens. Using the 60 mm macro. The quality of in-camera stacked images of fungus and insects is fantastic and low light is not an issue. Hopefully I have finally got over my obsession with big lenses and the perfect bird shot. Time will tell. Laying on the woodland floor photographing shield bugs and a flock of goldcrests moved through the branches around me. I’d never have got a good shot of them with my Om 150 - 400, but I was able to get a beautifully focused shot of the shield bug 😄.
Hi Pete - sounds like a good plan. If I’m brutally honest I knew my 7D and 100-400 mk ii like the back of my hand. I was good with it. That’s why my images with that set up were better than the ones with the big oly. I may have got there in the end but the steep learning curve combined with the weight of the lens just took the fun out of bird photography.

Hi DCC1976, Now you have had the lens for a a few weeks or so i would like to ask your thoughts about it. Do you shoot with the OM-1 camera as this is the set up i would like if i jump ship from the Sony A9 and 200-600mm lens.

Thanks In Advance, Pete.
Hi

I have returned the 150-400 lens.
I wanted to get hold of this lens for 18 months or so and wasn’t disappointed by the performance, got some pretty pleasing images over the 10 days i had it. I was pleasantly surprised by how comfortably it could be carried, hand-holding wasn’t an issue and (from my 300 f4) I loved the versatility of the zoom.

The big question for me was the price tag. It was difficult for me to justify that outlay. I had wondered about selling my scope, to both offset the cost of the lens and also to reduce the weight I would be carrying on days out. I consider myself a birder rather than photographer and really enjoy seawatching & wildfowl counts at local estuaries etc, so losing the scope isn’t really a road I want to go down.

The bigger lens is more than 3x the cost of the 300f4 + 1.4, so it came down to - is the 150-400 three times as good?
And i didn’t think is was. If they were similarly priced, the extra reach and versatility would probably draw me to the 150-400.
So (for now) i’ll be sticking with the Om1 coupled with the 300f4.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back