• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hummers, Arenal, Costa Rica, December (1 Viewer)

alanc

Just an earthbound misfit
England
These three different individuals at the Arenal Observatory Lodge over Christmas. I'm thinking female Violet-headed for all three but always struggle with female/juvenile types so would appreciate any help
thanks
alan

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    211.6 KB · Views: 31
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    280.7 KB · Views: 31
I'd say Coppery-headed, you can see the white tail feathers, absent in Violet-headed.

Bill shape is also wrong for Violet-headed and there is no post ocular spot.

A

Last edited:
Thanks Andy
Do you think the bill is right for Coppery headed, my field guide shows it as having a decurved bill
cheers alan

Looked on google images - not many females there but one or two very similar to my birds. thanks for your help
alan

These are Scaly-breasted Hummingbirds (Sabrewings). Tail, colours, wing and bill shapes all fit nicely to my eyes.

Thankyou Eduardo.
I did consider SB as they look very much like my birds but according to the fairly comprehensive bird list given to visitors to the Arenal Obs Lodge, they are not recorded there. The list includes over 30 different hummers, even the odd accidental visitor but no SB's
Perhaps an error in the list?
alan

Yes I also just checked their online list, obviously a listing error on their hard copy. Seems it is not so rare in the Lake Arenal area as it is mentioned in some other Costa Rican birding articles posted online as being found in the area
Thankyou again
alan

These are Scaly-breasted Hummingbirds (Sabrewings). Tail, colours, wing and bill shapes all fit nicely to my eyes.

The OP is a pretty good shot and I think that you'd see some subtle scaling, the breast is just too clean? Also, basal half of the lower mandible should be pink, it clearly isn't.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-R0Y1smpI...xKOa6dufSAPwuwCLcB/s1600/scally-breasted+.jpg

The features I mentioned plus it's scarcity at that site lead me to disagree that this is Scaly-breasted, always happy to learn though.

Perhaps send it to Patrick at Birdingcraft.

A

Last edited:
Thanks everyone I really appreciate your comments. I'm still rather confused regarding the species but
hopefully a CR hummer expert with experience of the birds at the Lodge will be able to help
alan

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back