• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rican birds (1 Viewer)

Geo94

Hi all, I've got a few photos to ID from a February trip to Costa Rica. Any help would be much appreciated - apologies for the poor photo quality.

1. Arenal Volcano 1968 Trail - in grassland near forest. Some sort of seedfinch/seedeater?
2. Arenal Volcano 1968 Trail - in grassland near forest. Warbler but not sure on the species.
3. Arenal Observatory Lodge - in grassland near forest. Variable seedeater (given curved culmen)?
4. Arenal Observatory Lodge - crossing footpath in forest. Grey-chested dove?
5. Arenal Observatory Lodge - crossing footpath in forest. Ground dove?

Thanks very much,

George

Attachments

• 1 (2).JPG
    1 (2).JPG
    639.8 KB · Views: 50
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    7.9 MB · Views: 55
  • 5 (2).JPG
    5 (2).JPG
    6.8 MB · Views: 52
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 46
  • 4 (2).JPG
    4 (2).JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 43
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    730.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    245 KB · Views: 45
  • 2 (2).JPG
    2 (2).JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    793.9 KB · Views: 44
1) imm. m yellow-faced grassquit
2) presumably yellow warbler (actually looks a bit like a dull golden-fronted greenlet which doesn't occur in CR)
3) y
4) y
5) not sure; doesn't look like ruddy ground dove. Perhaps another grey-chested dove

1) imm. m yellow-faced grassquit
2) presumably yellow warbler (actually looks a bit like a dull golden-fronted greenlet which doesn't occur in CR)
3) y
4) y
5) not sure; doesn't look like ruddy ground dove. Perhaps another grey-chested dove
I think (5) is either Ruddy or Short billed pigeon, but not sure you can be certain with these images.

1. Y-f Grassquit
2. Yellow Warbler - immature female based on how dull the plumage is
3-4) y
5. Another possibility is Chiriqui Quail-dove though I'm not sure how expected they are at that site(???). Tough photos to draw a confident ID from

Thanks very much for your responses. I thought 5 might be tricky given the image quality - ruddy pigeon looks like the best bet for me, but I appreciate it may not be possible to know for sure.

Cheers, George

Thanks very much for your responses. I thought 5 might be tricky given the image quality - ruddy pigeon looks like the best bet for me, but I appreciate it may not be possible to know for sure.

Cheers, George
Your choice of course, but I thought this too red for those 2 species (ruddy, short-billed). I thought more likely a quail-dove but couldn't make it fit. The body of chiriqui is at least the right colour, so perhaps it's a young one? (I.e. without the characteristic adult head pattern)

Last edited:
Thanks, I thought it looked to lack the facial pattern of adult Chiriqui quail-dove, but a juvenile sounds plausible - might be one I have to leave unidentified (serves me right for not getting a better photo!).

A few more Arenal photos if any of you are able to help - you'll see I found euphonias in particular quite tricky...
1. Male euphonia, feeding station near forest at Bogarin Sloth Trail. I suspect it's obvious to someone who knows the area, but the combination of range, proportions of blue to yellow and lack of white belly seem slightly at odds with my field guides.
2. Female euphonia, forest edge at Confort Arenal accommodation
3. Warbler sp. (vireo?), forest edge at Confort Arenal accommodation
4. Male euphonia, forest at Sky Adventures
5. Female euphonia, forest at Sky Adventures

Many thanks once again,

George

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    755 KB · Views: 23
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    594.4 KB · Views: 25
  • 3 (2).JPG
    3 (2).JPG
    617.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 2 (2).JPG
    2 (2).JPG
    476.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    885.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 1 (2).JPG
    1 (2).JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 19
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    714.1 KB · Views: 21
1 Yellow-throated Euphonia. I think it is the angle making the white on central belly invisible.
2 Could be a female of the same.
3 Looks like a Tennessee Warbler to me
4 Bill seems too heavy for Euphonia, check the tanagers
5 pass on this one
Niels

1. Yellow-throated Euphonia (suspect 2 is a female of same)
3. Tennessee Warbler
4. Blue-and Gold Tanager
5. Manakin female type, perhaps White-ruffed given the hint of a paler throat

@Geo94 If you want to make the photos show in order, upload them one by one, beginning from those you want to see first. It worked for me, and I had a similar problem. (Of course, adding numbers or descriptive titles is always useful.)

@Geo94 If you want to make the photos show in order, upload them one by one, beginning from those you want to see first. It worked for me, and I had a similar problem. (Of course, adding numbers or descriptive titles is always useful.)
They display in different orders on different devices, I think. Safest is to give each file a simple, easily quotable short file name ("1","2" etc)

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back