• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird ID - photos and field (1 Viewer)

dalat

Switzerland
Hi,
I am often impressed by the knowledge that can be found in the bird ID section, it's a great source of learning.

But sometimes I wonder how much of the things I learn there are actually useful in the field. For example in this thread http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=262877 the ID was clinched with the conclusion
Emargination on P3 falls roughly between the tip of P7 and P8. A very strong pointer towards Marsh warbler.

I myself would certainly not be able to see these details on warblers in the field, even with primary projection I usually have a very hard time to see enough to be useful for ID. Obviously in the field there are other things that help, like call, behaviour, habitat.

So my question is: do the pros among you actually use things like wing formula and primary projection for ID in the field (on small birds), or is this something that can only be reasonably used on photos or birds in the hand?

Cheers,

I'm always constantly amazed by the observational powers of some birders. I've been with people who've confidently announced "It's got emarginations on P3 and 4" while I'm still trying to figure out if it's got wings ( ;) ) but when you look at the photos afterwards - there they are. It all comes with practice. One, personal, example is, I grew up in the north west of England and I was used to seeing Common Guillemot and Razorbill flying passed and I didn't think anything of identifying them. I moved to north Norfolk in the 70's and the vast majority of birders, some of them well known and exceptionally good ones, were adamant you couldn't tell them apart unless they were fairly close (under a mile ). Calls are another thing - as I get older, and deafer, I know I'll never be any good at them but, yet again, there are birders that say "Siskin overhead. About 150 metres up. There's a Linnet and a couple of Redpoll among them". :eek!: I go back to looking in bushes and trees. :-C If you know what the criteria are for separating similar species / field marks then you lock on them first, we all do, except with some people the ability is magnified considerably.

Chris

Calls are another thing - as I get older, and deafer, I know I'll never be any good at them but, yet again, there are birders that say "Siskin overhead. About 150 metres up. There's a Linnet and a couple of Redpoll among them". :eek!: I go back to looking in bushes and trees. :-C
Chris

Reminds me of when I went birding in Belize. I was walking along with the local guide and we heard a chip call in the brush. He immediately said "Kentucky warbler." Then he paused and added "Or maybe a hooded." The bird chipped again and he said "No, definitely Kentucky." We then got on the bird and damned if it wasn't a Kentucky. When I asked if he knew the chip calls of all the warblers, he replied "I have to. They don't sing down here."

It all depends on your experience and what you need to learn.

The other side of the coin is that I and others, along with some truly mega twitchers / listers, spent a couple of fruitful hours waiting for a Common Nighthawk to wake up and start flying around. The 'big boys' compiled a fairly good description of it while it was on the ground and waited ............. and waited. Finally, someone's nerve broke and they slowly walked towards the bird. Closer ........ and closer......... until one turned round and told us we'd all been watching a cow pat. :-O

Chris

until one turned round and told us we'd all been watching a cow pat. CB

I get that a lot with plastic bags hanging on bushes. I see all sorts except the poly bag!

yet again, there are birders that say "Siskin overhead. About 150 metres up. There's a Linnet and a couple of Redpoll among them". :eek!:
Yes, I always look forward to official lists from our group birding trips in order to find out what we heard :t:

On the other hand I have to suppress my urge to psh when around those birders, as they start to twitch nervously and look around and up. I guess I have an accent like some really good rarity :king: . It is difficult!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back