• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

2nd ID Opinion Please (1 Viewer)

NIK III

I had a few days away over Easter. Since coming back it's been house maintenance with little time for anything else. Hence the tardiness of this request.

Pic No1 shows a few waders. They were too far away for me to ID them. So how do you expect us to I hear ;) . Since coming back I have decided they are probably Grey Plovers. A second opinion would help along the ID confidence. Perhaps! :h?:

The other pics I've put in just for interest. You probably recognise Bass Rock which was about 6 miles north. The general area is Belhaven Bay. I've heard the locals call this bit of it Tyninghame Bay. Bill Oddy calls it John Muir Country Park. It's just a smashing walk. Birds or no Birds. Pristine clean golden sands, turquoise sea etc. It's best to go at high tide when there is a gull roost and other birds come into Tyninghame Bay. I was there 4 hours late. The last of the Eiders were going with the flow as the water in Tyninghame Bay drained back into the sea. The Dipper was in Biel Water. A stream which flows into the south end of Belhaven Bay.

Thanks to anyone who would like to have a go.
Roy

Attachments

• DSC00513 (Small).JPG
    DSC00513 (Small).JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00517 (Small).JPG
    DSC00517 (Small).JPG
    95.1 KB · Views: 43
  • DSC00507 (Small).JPG
    DSC00507 (Small).JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC00530 (Small).JPG
    DSC00530 (Small).JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 30
  • DSC00501 (Small).JPG
    DSC00501 (Small).JPG
    48.3 KB · Views: 25
Hi Roy,
Will leave others to confirm your id if you don't mind. :h?:
The bays looks and sounds like a great place to visit, I love the pics, especially the Dipper, great capture well done Roy.

No ID from me either I'm afraid, but LOVE the pic of Bass Rock. Never seen it myself, so good to see someone else's take on it.

Sorry, no help to you with the ID, but lovely pics, Roy. Looks a fab place to visit.

Nice pictures! The eider especially- what a handsome bird. Sounds like you've had a good trip.

As for those little birds in the first pic- who knows!? Though, to me, I can't see anything that'd stop them being grey plovers. The seem roughly the right build and colour, and it seems the right habitat, so it's as good a guess as any. Its really hard to tell though.

Hi Roy,
I'm afraid I can't help with the ID of pic 1 neither but the others are stunning!
I love the Eider...one of my favourite ducks.
Bass Rock and North Berwick are wonderful places to visit,I've been on 2 occassions and just love the views and the Scottish Seabird Centre itself!
You can watch the birds of Bass Rock from the numerous webcams on this web-site if anyone is interested?

http://www.seabird.org/home.asp

Best wishes,

Last edited:
Great pics Roy looks like a stunning place to visit.
With regards to pic 1 that's a tricky one ;) (health warning..I'm no expert on waders :-O ) as there are a few unknown's, distance, size of rocks etc in comparison to birds, they could also be Greenshank which is a similar sized bird. Bill size if noted, would be a good way to tell. Most Grey Plover at this time of the year would be migrating and if correct already coming into summer plumage which if memory hasn't gone :D would make the bird darker (I'm open to correction here), whereas birds in pic 1 are quite light..! Sorry I can't be of more help..

Ray

Hi Roy,
Sorry no id help from me either (not experienced enough). I love the photos, especially the Dipper, that's a beauty! Sounds as if you had a good break away, with some lovely birds (with or without the definite id's!). Well done, and thanks for sharing.
All the Best Roy,

Hi All

Glad you liked the pics. I knew it was a big ask. I was there and had better clarity through the scope than this pic, and I still couldn't tell. I just get the Grrr feeling when I can't make a positive ID. Thanks Chris and Ray for having a go. They will just have to remain a grey area ;) .

Thanks for the link Ruth. I've visited Bass Rock a couple of times by boat but never landed. All those Gannets from close up and diving into the sea from just feet away is something to behold. I've been to the Seabird Centre but not at breeding time. Maybe this year.

Glad you enjoyed the pic of Bass Rock Wendy. When I viewed it through the scope I thought it looked dramatic with the breaking waves in the foreground. I couldn't resist a pic. A visit to the place itself and being so close to the Gannets I think would take your breath away.

Thanks for your nice comments Pie and Kits.

Roy

Judo said:
Hi Roy,
Sorry no id help from me either (not experienced enough). I love the photos, especially the Dipper, that's a beauty! Sounds as if you had a good break away, with some lovely birds (with or without the definite id's!). Well done, and thanks for sharing.
All the Best Roy,

Hi Judo

Sorry I missed you. Busy composing my reply. The Dipper was such a considerate bird. It kept coming back to the same spot as if to say "come on then, haven't you got a good one yet".

Thanks
Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back