• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Baby Robins nested in vines around the house (1 Viewer)

adeering

A mama robin has nested in the vines that climb the side of our house. Her eggs have hatched and she has several babies. During a big storm, we had a tree fall on that side of the house. The mama robin and her babies are all okay; the nest miraculously went undisturbed. The builders are coming soon to re-side the house. I am very worried they will want to pull the vines down to put up the new siding and this will upset the nest.

After the robin family made it through a big storm and a tree falling, I don't want them to be hurt by re-siding the house. How long before the babies will fly away? When the babies get older, will the babies nest elsewhere? If this nest is disturbed, will the mama robin make another nest and be okay?

This is MN, so I will wait until autumn and the birds all fly south to re-side the house if I have to. But, the storm really did some damage and I would love to get the siding taken care of as soon as possible if someone can tell me the robins will be okay.

Any suggestions/information would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
If you could delay the work for a couple of weeks, that might be enough. Baby robins fledge (leave the nest) at about 2 weeks after hatching & once fledged they scatter fairly widely, so as long as there are bushes or other vegetation for them to shelter in, work on the new siding shouldn't cause them any harm. Note however that the fledglings are quite helpless for the first week or so: they can barely fly & can't feed themselves, so you'd want to keep your eyes peeled when working in the area in case they're underfoot.

The fledglings won't breed until next spring. The parents will probably nest again this year but not necessarily in the same place, particularly if there's been a lot of changes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back