• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello. I live in Montana and not knowing much about the Robin but have a question ? I’m (1 Viewer)

Lindamorgan

United States
A Robin has built a nest under our porch and actually there’s two of them fairly close to each other. It is right by our sliding glass door that we look out a lot. We try to be fairly quiet and sometimes she will fly off. But always comes back. Does a Robin use two nest or only one as sometimes it seems the Robin is changing I g nest nut since they all look alike I’m wondering if there is two robins but they are never there at the same time? Also the main question our air conditioner is located on our big porch and a lot of heat is coming out of it it can get 110 degrees on porch when it’s running I’m assuming rat is going to be way to hot for the babies or them when we start it up. Can I move the nest down to other end of porch. Haven’t noticed and eggs or babies yet but she rarely leaves her nest. Thanks for any information as it’s still cooler around here before we’re needing air conditioner.

Welcome to Birdforum. I hope you enjoy your visits.

It is illegal to move a nest which is being used so no, you can’t move it.

Hi Linda and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. Birds can do some strange things, at least to us. They wouldn't normally build a nest which is frequently disturbed, but some species are quite human-friendly. Just leave them to get on with it. And carry on yourselves as normal, just being a bit more careful perhaps. Don't be tempted to look into the nest(s) as this really could spook them.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

I should of proofread as I see auto correct didn’t help me out if I typed the wrong letter . I enjoyed reading in this forum and will learn a lot about birds. My main concern was if it gets to hot on the porch from the heat of the window air conditioner ! It gets hot on the porch and she built her nest right across from the air conditioner. We don’t bother the nests . I was hoping I could move them but I see someone said it illegal to move a nest. I’ll keep you posted and thank you for the information

Birds usually know how to cope with the fluctuations in temperatures, maybe that's one reason for the two nests, they'll decide which one to use!! LOL

I understand that there are laws to protect the nests and breeding sites of migratory birds in the US, which I believe the American Robin is. You can get more information of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Every day is a school day when learning about birds... I've been watching birds for over 40 years and still learning.

Birds usually know how to cope with the fluctuations in temperatures, maybe that's one reason for the two nests, they'll decide which one to use!! LOL

I understand that there are laws to protect the nests and breeding sites of migratory birds in the US, which I believe the American Robin is. You can get more information of the US Fish and Wildlife Service.

Every day is a school day when learning about birds... I've been watching birds for over 40 years and still learning.
Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back