• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ash Throated vs. Great Crested Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

Matt_RTH

Hi, I wanted to get some confirmation for a finding. I had an observation (seen only, no photo) , June, Orange County, CA near the coast. The frequent "big flycatcher" other then Phoebes and Kingbirds around here is the Ash-Throated Flycatcher. However, this bird was different. I only got a very brief glimpse, but an excellent hearing of its call. The call was very much like that found for the GCF on Allaboutbirds and Whatbird. It has that almost woodpecker-like repeating note call. Check it out and you'll know what I mean.

Thus the dilemma. GCF is primarily Eastern. We do get reasonably regular reports of this make and model in So Cal but I want to be more sure.

While I've seen and heard plenty of ATFs, this was nothing like that in sound. But I've seen references to ATF calls being "highly variable", etc.

Is there another flycatcher which has a call similar to the GCF? Was this just an ATF trying to confound me?

Thanks.

Maybe a shorter version of the question. Here is the Great-crested link: Great-created Flycatcher.

Is it possible for the Ash-throated to make a sound similar to this bird (the fast/repetitive part)?

When I saw this ash-throated, the second I heard it, I thought - that's not right. But is it? Like I said, the sound was very similar to the link above. So would that likely preclude ash-throated? I realize there is not an absolute answer and that my identification for Great-crested is unlikely. But I will appreciate any thoughts.

It's been seen in CA before, though rarely. The general consesus is summed up by this commenet:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Myiarchus flycatchers are notoriously difficult to identify; the only difference between the Ash-throat and the Great-crested is that the Ash-throat is duller, especially in the rusty areas.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myiarchus flycatchers are notoriously difficult to identify; the only difference between the Ash-throat and the Great-crested is that the Ash-throat is duller, especially in the rusty areas.

Yes, but much duller. I saw a Great Crested recently in Nevada (where it’s a very rare bird) & could tell at a glance that is wasn’t an Ash-throated (or Brown-crested).

Here are some photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/organize/?start_tab=one_set72157602221849079

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back