• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

External hard drive recommendation. (1 Viewer)

STS

I'm looking for something to store my photos on; I've got about 7,000 at the moment. I used to back up to DVDs but I'm hoping it'd be easier and possibly cheaper to copy them all over to a new H/D.

TIA,

Thomas

I'm looking for something to store my photos on; I've got about 7,000 at the moment. I used to back up to DVDs but I'm hoping it'd be easier and possibly cheaper to copy them all over to a new H/D.

TIA,

Thomas

online at picasa?

Western Digital, Seagate, Toshiba and Buffalo Technology are all well regarded brands, I've owned at least one drive from each without any complaint.
Decide on the size/capacity and then look for the best value IMO.

1. Decide on which physical size (2.5" portable drive or 3.5" desktop drive- the former are physically smaller and usually powered through the USB connection, whilst the latter tend to be cheaper/TB, have faster disc speeds and use a separate power adapter).

2. Choose a capacity. 2TB seem to currently offer the best value for 3.5" drives, typically only £15 more than their 1TB versions.

3. Many drives are USB3 capable, but not all. If your computer is USB3 capable (most are) then it offers significantly faster data transfer (5-10x compared to USB2) which reduces waiting times.

4. Check what's included with the drive: USB cable? Is it long enough for your intended use? If not buy online to save being ripped off by the high street chains who grossly overcharge for cables. (To get the full speed benefit of USB3 you need to use a USB3 cable, they differ from the older USB2 versions).

The linked thread bemoans, rightly IMO, the lack of power switches on most external drives these days. Having had a power supply fail and destroy a hard disk it is wise to disconnect your back-up/storage drives when not in use.
One simple solution is to use an in line switch like this for the 3.5" desktop type drives.

I've used Ebuyer and Overclockers for online PC parts, both have been reliable suppliers, although even Argos and Tesco occassionally have good deals so may be worth checking. HTH

[In an ideal world we all follow the 3-2-1 strategy for data storage and backup, just something to consider before committing all you photos to a single drive].

Thanks Nick and Pete.

And thank you Jumbo for such a detailed reply. Can I just ask: how I can tell if my PC is USB3 capable?

Cheers,

Thomas

Last edited:
From the Control Panel System information, open Device Manager which will list USB 3 controllers and hubs under the Universal Serial Bus Controllers Tab.

The actual sockets on the PC may have pale blue visible either on their mounts or insulators.

It is a relatively recent implementation so not all computers are equipped and some of those that are have poor implementations. As some systems have both USB 2.0 and seperate USB 3.0 sockets, they are usually clearly labelled.

USB 3 disc drives will still work on USB 2 connections, but only at USB 2 speeds.

Last edited:
My 4 year old Dell was not supplied with USB3 sockets but I installed a simple 2-socket USB3 card. One socket is used for the external drive and the other for a USB3 card reader.

Hi Watts, I have a 2010 iMac, which is USB2 and FireWire, I am a bit reluctant to purchase another imac upgrade at this time. please could you explain further on the model etc and connections, ie can I have more connections (3 or 4 USB3)
Regards. Mike

Mike
The attached pdf shows what I used. I think I bought it from PC World and I think I used an internal power connector but I seem to remember the tech guy in PC World saying it wouldn’t be necessary. I’m afraid it would be too much of an effort now to get into the back of the PC to check on the power connection.
I started with a "TeckNet® USB 3.0 4 Ports PCI Express Interface USB 3.0 Expansion Card" from Amazon but it wouldn’t work properly – it seemed to recognise (or not) whatever was plugged into it with a degree of randomness that was completely unacceptable. I’m sure it must be possible to get 3 or 4 port cards that work OK and the limiting factor maybe my PC – certainly I don’t get the fastest USB3 transfer speeds that are possible with the latest gear.
I should say I’m not a techie so anything I do has to be informed by advice from others or from web tutorials. That will have been the basis for this particular upgrade.
Bill

Attachments

• USB3005.pdf
    129.8 KB · Views: 30
Thanks Watts, I cannot get my head around the Idea, of how it would work if your computer has usb2 connections, but thanks anyway will have to do some research
kind regards mike

Hello all,

Should you have a spare 2.5" drive, it can be mounted in a plastic case with a USB3 interface. In the States, I got one made by Other World Computing, for US$20, cable included. I had a spare SSD from a laptop, whose motherboard failed.
It seems that the only thing faster than USB3 is Thunderbolt.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I cannot see how that could work either, the adapter would have to be connected to a USB2 port??? so how it give USB3 speed??

Contrary top what a previous postee put about computers and USB3 sockets, if your computer is more than a year old it is unlikely to have this connection port.

STS As for an external HDD to store your photos, it would be risky relying on one, ideally you would need two for safety and a minmum size of 2TB.

Myself I have two HDD as well as the computer main of 1.5gb however I also have a blu-ray writer and back up my stills and video to blu-ray discs for originals and for processed photos and videos. Maybe I am a bit ott but at least I am covered.

Thanks to iveljay re. USB3 checking; I found nothing listed that specifically said 3, so I think my PC is too old to have it.

Thanks to Robert as well; I think I'll continue to back up to DVDs but get an external H/D at some point as my extra back-up.

Cheers,

Thomas

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back