• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Back-up Storage (1 Viewer)

I would suggest that the starting point is to confirm where your data is now using Windows Explorer. If your D: drive is empty then it should be on the C: drive, which will be your computers internal drive. As others have said, it's best to have your data on the internal (C:) drive as it operates faster than an external drive. So, if it's not already on the C: drive and, provided you have enough free space on the C: drive, start by copying your data to it. Once you have your data on the C: drive then you can set up an automated back-up to one of your external drives. As I remember (I'm a Mac user these days) these are likely to appear as your D: (and, if you have both connected E:) drive.

How do I do that... and should I use the new one?

You'll need some automated back-up software. This will run in the background and you can set a specific time or timed interval for it to back up any changed files since the last time it checked for files to back up. It can also give you incremental back ups where previous versions of the same file are kept. Some software will also back up your system files, so in the event of a internal drive failure. you can still run the computer and access all your files and then restore them back to a new internal drive. If you've ever had a internal drive failure you'll appreciate this functionality.

To use this, you would need to have your external drive connected and running permanently, or at least make sure it was connected whenever the timed backups take place. As a Mac user I'm not up with the latest automated back up applications for Windows. Hopefully someone on the forum can make a recommendation for you. Alternatively, PC World's article here will also give you some backup software options:

As to which external drive to use, as they're both a similar size, I would say it doesn't matter too much. However, the failure rate of hard drives increases the more they are used, so the new one is more likely to go longer before it fails.

Hope this is helpful Delia.

I fear you've lost me. You seem to be advocating having a working copy and a back-up copy - which is standard practice and is what I (and all other contributors here) was/were already advocating. No-one has been advocating putting 'all your eggs in one basket' and having no back-up.
I give up.

I would suggest that the starting point is to confirm where your data is now using Windows Explorer. If your D: drive is empty then it should be on the C: drive, which will be your computers internal drive. As others have said, it's best to have your data on the internal (C:) drive as it operates faster than an external drive. So, if it's not already on the C: drive and, provided you have enough free space on the C: drive, start by copying your data to it. Once you have your data on the C: drive then you can set up an automated back-up to one of your external drives. As I remember (I'm a Mac user these days) these are likely to appear as your D: (and, if you have both connected E:) drive.
If C: and D: are internal drives the data can stay on D: drive. Even better on internal D: drive.
This will let more space for C: and the backup is separate.
The C: for Windows and applications, the D: for data.
If the C: is one HDD and D: another one, bingo! Maximum speed achieved.

If one use an application for backup, better to chose one who can verify the backup files. Just copying is not good enough (from my point of view).

Last edited:
Do not put important files on the C: drive. It is where the OS resides and should a new or re-installation ever be necessary it is often required to format C:, deleting your files in the process. Personally, I would make regular weekly or monthly incremental* backups of the D: drive to an external disk. Look into the possibility of software offering 'automatic' backup of D: as soon as that external drive is connected. Additionally I would back that external drive up twice a year to a further external drive, simply by copying one drive to another, overwriting the old files.

*Incremental backups only write/delete any changes since the last full backup. The first backup will be a complete backup of D:. After that only changes will be written. Some softwares make complete backups every six months and incremental ones in between. Of course incremental ones are faster and not everything needs to be 'rewritten' every time.

Do not put important files on the C: drive. It is where the OS resides and should a new or re-installation ever be necessary it is often required to format C:, deleting your files in the process.
That's why you have a back-up: after formatting, just restore your data files from there.
The situation described is no worse than (and, in my experience, far less likely than) having your D: drive fail - so it's just frying pans and fires. Thus, there is no reason to forego the extra speed of having data on the C: drive (your SSD) for fear of a Windows problem.

Last edited:
That's why you have a back-up: after formatting, just restore your data files from there.
The situation described is no worse than (and, in my experience, far less likely than) having your D: drive fail - so it's just frying pans and fires. Thus, there is no reason to forego the extra speed of having data on the C: drive (your SSD) for fear of a Windows problem.
C: and D: are usually not physically discrete drives. They are just logical partitions on one and the same disk. Ergo when one fails, both fail IF the reason for failure is a failure of the physical hard drive or SSD.
However, since the OS resides on C:, the sheer number of read/(write) operations associated with a running operating system, boot and shutdown sequences etc. usually make a failure of C: (as a partition) more likely. Thus, storing important files on D: has them out of the way of this eventuality and it allows for a formatting of C: in the case of failure of C: and a subsequent reinstallation of the OS without any contact with those files.
The speed of access is the same on C: and D: (both being merely partitions on one and the same physical drive) unless you have a more complex setup, where the machine has two or more HDDs or a SSD and a HDD.
None of this has any bearing, however, on the need for backups, or the way those back might be done intelligently guaranteeing data security and integrity.

As I understand it, that is the case with Delia's new PC - that was my point (my comment couldn't have made any sense otherwise).
Can't see that information about her setup (maybe I missed it), so I will just leave you guys to it. Enjoy!

her setup

unless you have a more complex setup, where the machine has two or more HDDs or a SSD and a HDD.
As I understand it, that is the case with Delia's new PC - that was my point (my comment couldn't have made any sense otherwise).
I get lost with the tech stuff. So didn't really know what you were talking about. Here is the spec for the one I got:

• 24" High Definition 1920*1080 Screen
  • Intel Core i7-11700 2.90Ghz (4.80Ghz Boost) Processor
  • 16GB DDR4 2400Mhz RAM (Upgradeable)
  • 512GB Solid State Drive (Upgradeable)
  • 2TB Hard Drive
  • Built-in Pop Up Webcam
  • Built-in Microphone and Speakers
  • Fully adjustable swivelling screen
  • Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Windows 11 Compatible)
  • 3 Year Warranty*
  • Portus Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
  • Assembled in the UK

I decided against another laptop as I'm not travelling about so much now and if/when I do I might think about some other option then.

I'm finding this one so much more comfortable to use and having the larger screen and a proper keyboard is great.

Living in an upstairs flat I don't have a porch to go and sit on LOL.

I'm guessing that the 512 Gb SSD is C: and the 2 Tb HDD is D: - but C: and D: might both be partitions of the SSD, in which case the 2 Tb HDD would be E: . If you look at what Windows Explorer (or whatever it's called today) describes them as you might come out the wiser ;)
(Despite the auto-description on that link I gave above, it goes in fact straight to your link to the spec of the one you finally bought.)

Despite the auto-description on that link I gave above, it goes in fact straight to your link to the spec of the one you finally bought.
Yeah.... I thought that was odd. Strange one.

I'm guessing that the 512 Gb SSD is C: and the 2 Tb HDD is D: - but C: and D: might both be partitions of the SSD, in which case the 2 Tb HDD would be E: . If you look at what Windows Explorer (or whatever it's called today) describes them as you might come out the wiser ;)
(Despite the auto-description on that link I gave above, it goes in fact straight to your link to the spec of the one you finally bought.)
I've got
Local Disk (C)
DATA (D) and
(E) is my current Ext hard drive

What's happened to A and B? LOL I think A used to be the floppy disc drive - who remembers them?

Correct A and B were for floppies. Those were the days! Our (it was of course shared), first work computer had a 10MB hard drive, it had the OS, word processor, spreadsheet and database programs, all our customer data, all our correspondence and budgets and was only ever half full.

I started on an Amstrad word processor. Excellent machine and word processing programme.

That had to be booted from a floppy disc iir. There were two disc drives, one to run the computer and the other hold all your data on.

It was something like that.

Local Disk (C:),
DATA (D:)
So . . . The SSD is C: and is unpartitioned and holds your Windows files and installed programs - which, if you did as has been suggested and put nothing else on that drive, would leave a huge amount (450+ Gb??) of ultra-fast storage unused forever - which would seem a terrible waste :(

Those were the days!
And... my first, for a mammoth publishing project, stored everything on floppies (5¼" and actually floppy) - with all the software, ie the OS and the program files, held on a single 512 kb (that's a k, not an M) disc.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back