• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best VFM in used Scopes (1 Viewer)

Taxboy

I'm considering upgrading my Kowa TS602 with a 20x WA for something with a bigger objective and can cope with a more powerful eyepiece.

Given the current price of new I'm giving serious consideration to the s/h market so with a budget of £500 ish any suggestions would be very much appreciated

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Hi

The usual suspects are the Nikon ED82 and Kowa 823/824. Recently LCE had a Nikon ED82A with fixed eyepiece for £500. Old Leicas and Swaros go for more but I did see a straight Swaro go for about £550 with a fixed and old zoom on LCE again.

You may have to wait awhile for something to come up or you could put a wanted request in the Wanted forum.

Hi

The usual suspects are the Nikon ED82 and Kowa 823/824. Recently LCE had a Nikon ED82A with fixed eyepiece for £500. Old Leicas and Swaros go for more but I did see a straight Swaro go for about £550 with a fixed and old zoom on LCE again.

You may have to wait awhile for something to come up or you could put a wanted request in the Wanted forum.
Thanks ks for the advice - I suppose the real question is how do the older models compare to the newer versions. I may have to spend some time online researching

Thanks ks for the advice - I suppose the real question is how do the older models compare to the newer versions. I may have to spend some time online researching

A good aberration free specimen will compare well. The resolution of a good specimen will match modern scopes of equivalent size. Coatings have improved to increase brightness and contrast in the top scopes but the main difference for a lot of users is the ability to use the newer crop of wide zooms.

The only older scope that can do this is the Swaro AT/ST that can use their 25-50 zoom though it won't lock in. A friend has this on the old AT Swaro and it holds up well against modern offerings.

Hi,

as usual, a TSN3 or 4 and an SDLv2 zoom is a very sweet combination... seen lots of alpha glass, not yet felt the urge to upgrade...

Very sharp at 52 x and nice flat field even at lower mag.

Joachim

Hi,

there was a Nikon 82ED with 38x wide EP and SOC in the classifieds here for 600 quid as last price - didn't sell for quite some time and was withdrawn in early July... you might want to PM the seller.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=343215

The Fieldscopes are very nice glass - the only gripes are the very good but also expensive and narrow zoom EP. Plus the focus drive which is a matter of taste...

Joachim

Last edited:
No good I'm afraid. The scope I had for sale has since been sold elsewhere.

Hi,

there was a Nikon 82ED with 38x wide EP and SOC in the classifieds here for 600 quid as last price - didn't sell for quite some time and was withdrawn in early July... you might want to PM the seller.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=343215

The Fieldscopes are very nice glass - the only gripes are the very good but also expensive and narrow zoom EP. Plus the focus drive which is a matter of taste...

Joachim

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to try and track down a Nikon to have a look through

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back