• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

MM3-60ED or HR66ED image quality difference (1 Viewer)

yddie

Hi please can you help me? What would be the viewing advantages and image quality of the HR66ED compared to the MM3-60ED. Considering the price difference.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Eddie

Eddie,

I haven't compared the two side by side yet. Maybe in a couple of weeks at the Cape May Autumn Festival...assuming they have the HR 66 there. I would leave it up to Pete, Chris or Rob to chime in with specific experiences.

From an optical perspective what I would expect is for the HR 66 to be a little brighter and to have slightly better color fringing (CA) control. I base these comments on the fact that the HR does have a 6 mm larger objective and does utilize a triplet objective design. Again, theoretically, the triplet design should control CA a bit better than a conventional doublet in this type of application.

Sorry I could not help more.

Frank,

Many thanks for your prompt replay, also thank you for your posts on the MM3-50 and MM3-60, I have found them to be most informative.

I currently have a GS 52 GA ED/45, & SDL V2 eyepiece, that I purchased new just over a year ago.

I am reasonably pleased with the scope as far as build quality and portability; I do find that the image quality does drop after two thirds of the zoom range.

My number one reason for buying another scope is the fact I did not do my homework!

I do most of my viewing from local hides, coupled with my short neck; I find I cannot see out of the scope whilst seated, (I should have bought the straight version |:mad:|)

So now with a redundant scope, I have made the decision to buy a new scope I am all most sold on the MM3-60 (straight version of course) but keep leaning towards a HR 66 GA ED.

As you yourself and others have said “Try before you buy”, so I am now looking to try the two side by side, but also welcome advice from those who have tread a similar path before me.

Eddie |=)|

Hi Rich.

Many thanks for the link, I just missed two yesterday:C, Sevenoaks or Colchester would have been good, will certainly attend one in the near future, thank you once again.

Eddie |=)|

A few key differences to bear in mind, optical and otherwise:

HR 66 body is heavier by nearly 0.5kg (17oz)
HR 66 (and 80) scopes are "tuned" to work with the SDL so will deliver the best from that eyepiece in terms of resolution, contrast etc
HR 66 has longer focal length so delivers 18-54x vs 15-45x. You may not "need" the 54x but you'll get better viewing at, say, 40ish x on the HR 66
HR 66 is a 70mm class scope i.e. has much better light gathering and so should extend your birding day
MM3 will deliver better close focus (~3 metres)

As you already have the best eyepiece in the range, I'd guide you towards the HR 66 and keep the GS 52 as a true travel scope but the absolutely best thing to do is to try them side by side.

The next event at Abberton is on 18th October. You could also call Hanningfield and ask them to order both scopes in on sale or return for you to try out at the reserve.

HTH

Cheers, Pete

Frank,

Many thanks for your prompt replay, also thank you for your posts on the MM3-50 and MM3-60, I have found them to be most informative.

I currently have a GS 52 GA ED/45, & SDL V2 eyepiece, that I purchased new just over a year ago.

I am reasonably pleased with the scope as far as build quality and portability; I do find that the image quality does drop after two thirds of the zoom range.

My number one reason for buying another scope is the fact I did not do my homework!

I do most of my viewing from local hides, coupled with my short neck; I find I cannot see out of the scope whilst seated, (I should have bought the straight version |:mad:|)

So now with a redundant scope, I have made the decision to buy a new scope I am all most sold on the MM3-60 (straight version of course) but keep leaning towards a HR 66 GA ED.

As you yourself and others have said “Try before you buy”, so I am now looking to try the two side by side, but also welcome advice from those who have tread a similar path before me.

Eddie |=)|
Surely all you need to do is turn the scope sideways so your face is pointed at 45 degrees horizontal to the direction of the main scope body? The scope, use have a ring on it that allows it to rotate.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back