• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Griffon or Rüppell's Vulture? - Andalucia, Spain (1 Viewer)

Two birds seen on 8-11-2017 at 5pm at Sierra Crestellina (36°27'57.0"N 5°17'03.9"W)

I am familiar with Griffon but not with Rüppell's. Although the brown abdomen and whitish face do not seem right for Rüppell's, the lack of contrast on the underwings and the white band on the front of the underwing made me wonder. Any help to understand why or why not Rüppell's welcome!

Attachments

• DSCN2055bis.jpg
    DSCN2055bis.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 180
Griffons are really variable, and I think that is what these are. Seeing two Ruppells together would be a bit unlikely given their rarity. Crestellina has a breeding colony of Griffons. I've seen them there all year round.

Thanks Jon! I forgot to say the two birds were among many Griffon Vultures and at the time I didn't really pay attention whether there could be Rüppell's in the group. It's only when reviewing eBird that I saw that several Rüppell's had been seen very close to Sierra Crestellina (e.g. 3 on this checklist http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40471625 in Casares) and so paid more attention to the pictures I had taken.

But you're right that Griffons are variable and taking by chance a picture of two Rüppell's together would be very lucky!

As Jon notes Griffons can be quite variable - more so than most guides suggest. The right hand bird, in particular, shows too much contrast between the coverts and remiges for Ruppell's. The body on both also looks too "cinnamon-brown" for the rarer species too (although some Griffons can look darker). Whilst both can show that white line on the underwing, the darker tones of Ruppell's usually makes it seem to stand out more (almost looking 'embossed' at times). Yet on moving birds as they change their angle to the sun etc Griffons can look very dark!

Thanks Jon! I forgot to say the two birds were among many Griffon Vultures and at the time I didn't really pay attention whether there could be Rüppell's in the group. It's only when reviewing eBird that I saw that several Rüppell's had been seen very close to Sierra Crestellina (e.g. 3 on this checklist http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S40471625 in Casares) and so paid more attention to the pictures I had taken.

But you're right that Griffons are variable and taking by chance a picture of two Rüppell's together would be very lucky!

Of additional interest in that ebird list is the record (on 13 August) of Alpine Accentor! A bird I haven't caught up with in Andalucia yet.

Of additional interest in that ebird list is the record (on 13 August) of Alpine Accentor! A bird I haven't caught up with in Andalucia yet.

I've never missed Alpine Accentor in winter at Llanos de Libar which, as I recall, isn't too far from your base although they may be even closer. Have you ever tried the rocky areas high up the on the road up to the TV masts beyond the river near Jimena? The habitat there isn't dissimilar and rather more extensive than that on El Picacho where on my only winter visit to the peak I had two Alpine Accentors. - and rather more extensive. They may not be present in any numbers or even regular there but if you get them on El Picacho it must be worth a try ....

Endless attempts at Llanos de Libar......

How odd - I must have been very lucky as I've never had a problem finding them when I've looked in season (probably less than half a dozen times). I've indicated the area I've seen them on the attached map. I guess you've also looked along the path from Puerto Palomas near Grazalema (although I've not had them there, friends have). However, the easiest place I've seen them is at El Torcal de Antequera where I've had them feeding along the roadside although that's 2-3 hour drive from your base I think. Might be worth the detour if you fly into Malaga though. In the meantime, I'd certainly check that road up to the TV aerials ...

Attachments

• AAMap2.jpg
    AAMap2.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 38
The area you have circled is what I have heard referred to as the meadow, just before a cattle grid I think. Good for Thekla Lark... If I'm out in January (when our AGM happens) I'll get up there yet again!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back