• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

SIGMA 500 +convertor (1 Viewer)

mdb2

hello, can anyone point me in the right direction as to which converter 1.4 or2x will work best with a 500 4.5 DG lens especially non reporting to assist with A/F on a. 7D before I commit to buying the Siggy. Thanks and regards. Mike

Hi Mike

I have this lens. I've used both a Canon and Sigma 1.4 TC on both a 7D and 1D 4 and have rarely managed to get reliable AF even with the pins tapped. As I understand Sigma have done something to the lens to pretty much disable AF with TC's added. Inteory it should AF with my 1D4 perfectly with a 1.4TC added. AF can be achieved but its very hit and miss with the lens hunting a lot to achieve focus. I now dont even try to use the TC's as I find performance as regards AF to unpredictable and I'm concerned the constant hunting to achieve AF may damage the AF motor. In every other regard I find the lens a really excellent performer however.

I havent tried the lens with any of the Kenko non reporting TC's however.

Rgds
Andrew

Hi Mike

I have this lens. I've used both a Canon and Sigma 1.4 TC on both a 7D and 1D 4 and have rarely managed to get reliable AF even with the pins tapped. As I understand Sigma have done something to the lens to pretty much disable AF with TC's added. Inteory it should AF with my 1D4 perfectly with a 1.4TC added. AF can be achieved but its very hit and miss with the lens hunting a lot to achieve focus. I now dont even try to use the TC's as I find performance as regards AF to unpredictable and I'm concerned the constant hunting to achieve AF may damage the AF motor. In every other regard I find the lens a really excellent performer however.

I havent tried the lens with any of the Kenko non reporting TC's however.

Rgds
Andrew

Thankyou Andrew, and yes I was considering kenko. you have given me food for thought, is yours the DG model? Also think I will buy a converter at the same time as the lens and take my 7D along to try. Kind regards. Mike

Thankyou Andrew, and yes I was considering kenko. you have given me food for thought, is yours the DG model? Also think I will buy a converter at the same time as the lens and take my 7D along to try. Kind regards. Mike

If you buy Kenko, make sure you buy the DGX model and not the DG model. the newer DGX works without the need to tape pins. I get AF even with a 2x on my 'lil 400mm 5.6 at F/11, but it is erratic at best. My 1.4x works better.

Another convertor worth considering is the Kenko 1.5x, which again doesn't need pins to be taped. I have this on my 100-400mm and find it very useable, however I also recommend taking a look at the Kenko 1.4x Pro 300 DGX.

Sam

Hi Mike

Mine is the DG version bought about a year ago now. Its my second copy as the first had very severe front focus issues on both the 7D and 1D4. It was changed without any problems by WEX. The new lens is a very nice performer and fairly compact for a 500mm prime. I'm sure you wont regret the purchase.
I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with the Kenko TC by the way as reliable AF with a TC added would be a real bonus.
Andrew

If you buy Kenko, make sure you buy the DGX model and not the DG model. the newer DGX works without the need to tape pins. I get AF even with a 2x on my 'lil 400mm 5.6 at F/11, but it is erratic at best. My 1.4x works better.

Thankyou Hor Kee will try your advice, kind regards. Mike

Another convertor worth considering is the Kenko 1.5x, which again doesn't need pins to be taped. I have this on my 100-400mm and find it very useable, however I also recommend taking a look at the Kenko 1.4x Pro 300 DGX.

Sam

Thankyou Sam, I will order the pro in advance of the 500 siggy and try it on my siggy 150- 500. Kind regards. Mike

Hi Mike

Mine is the DG version bought about a year ago now. Its my second copy as the first had very severe front focus issues on both the 7D and 1D4. It was changed without any problems by WEX. The new lens is a very nice performer and fairly compact for a 500mm prime. I'm sure you wont regret the purchase.
I'd be very interested to hear how you get on with the Kenko TC by the way as reliable AF with a TC added would be a real bonus.
Andrew

Thankyou Andrew, your comments seem to not be a rarity with the same issues of Q/C on the behalf of sigma? having looked up the prices of the 500 4.5 I think I will order from the big boys wex/park etc by the by jessops is fairly competitive as well as interest free and delivered to the shop. Which gives me more confidence should I need to return it. Rather than hassle that could occur with on- line businesses. Some times its not all about the money. Kind regards. Mike

Hi all ordered the 500f4.5 11th of August with jessops I am still awaiting delivery should be sometime this week. I have not had a very nice experience with jessops. I took in on myself to ring sigma last Friday as jessops was blaming sigma for being slow. Sigma could not have been more helpful.and relayed to me that they had not recieved any order from jessops. well after a few calls to the jessops head office. The order was finally placed at 15.45 hrs Friday afternoon. What a shambles, jessops h/o had the order as completed, something to do with some area manager. Seriously considering refusal now. But I have already got the camo cover and jobu lens plate. Shame really I usually get good service with jessops but this is the first time they have had to order in. also sigma informed me that they have a cut off time of 1500hrs for same day delivery to the customer IE jessops. Regards mike

UPDATE ON 500-f4.5

hi again, recieved the lens at last. ordered on 11thAug recieved 2nd of Oct. which is disgusting service. however Jessops have given me a total of £300 pounds off their price which goes some way towards the inconvenience? Will hopefully get out this week-end. Mike

At least Jessops was kind enough to give you such a generous rebate. Would love to see your results with this lens - as you can see by the links, reviews are thin on the ground.

Mike,
Good news about the lens finally. As an update I bought a kenko 300 DGX 1.4 TC and it works perfectly with the lens on the 7D and 1D4. If you need some extra reach I'd recommend this convertor.
Rgds
Andrew

Andrew, can one use AF micro adjust on this lens, with or without your Kenko TC? I have read on the net that this sometimes causes an error to lock up one's camera. I hope this feature works as I believe that many 'poorer' versions of this lens merely need more AF micro adjusting.

Hi Hor
It isnt something I have tried to be honest. I've been more than happy with the sharpness from the lens and TC connected. To be honest Micro AF adjustment is something I now avoid. I have played with it before but became increasingly concerned that my technique or slightly off user focus was starting to play an increasing role in my photography. I would find my self adjusting up and down shooting static subjects just to see if one picture looked sharper than another. In the end playing with micro AF adjustment was starting to detract from my actual enjoyment of photography. The original 500 f4.5 I had was so bad that it had to be returned. It is interesting to note that some newer Canon bodies have now removed the micro AF adjustment. Maybe it all became too much for Canon too? I personally would have no issues at all if Canon removed this option for adjustment from all their cameras.
Andrew

hi Andrew, that's great, because of the problems I was getting from jessops, I never ordered a converter, so now I can with some confidence. I had to work Saturday and family on Sunday, however I did manage 30 mins the garden. too short a span of time to commit as to the lenses sharpness @4.5 but it does look promising, with the few shots I did take, The sigma converter 1.4 lens was not any good and gave manual focus only, as I believe you have already stated. will possibly sell the sigma and get the Kenko, are you happy with the IQ on your combo? Regards mike

For me the Kenko Pro 300 1.4x DGX gives me good enough quality, although if I can help it I'd rather crop the photo. The high pixel density of the 7D's sensor allows for this quite easily.

hi Andrew, that's great, because of the problems I was getting from jessops, I never ordered a converter, so now I can with some confidence. I had to work Saturday and family on Sunday, however I did manage 30 mins the garden. too short a span of time to commit as to the lenses sharpness @4.5 but it does look promising, with the few shots I did take, The sigma converter 1.4 lens was not any good and gave manual focus only, as I believe you have already stated. will possibly sell the sigma and get the Kenko, are you happy with the IQ on your combo? Regards mike

Keep you`re eyes out on ebay,because I bought 1 of the latest canon fit kenko 1.4dgx convertors for under 1/2 price(mint 2nd hand)

Steve.;)B :)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back