• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dead bird in garden - cat or raptor? (1 Viewer)

iridium-77

** Disclaimer: Contains potentially unpleasant images! **

Hi folks,

I've had a bird feeding station in the garden for a few months now, so I suppose this was inevitable at some stage. I got home from work to find a dead bird on my lawn. Well, about half of a dead bird; a decapitated bird would be a more fitting description. The back half of it is pretty much all there, but not a trace of the head and half of the breast. It's a wee brown one, a dunnock perhaps; we usually have a couple hopping about in the grass.

I'm not going to post a photo as it's a bit gruesome but for lack of a better way of describing it, it looks like a clean incision. The remaining part of the body doesn't look to have been sliced to bits or anything; there's just a big, rather neat, circular hole where the breast should be, with some innards still hanging out. As for the garden; there's a few small feathers in the grass. They seem to lead back towards the patio (about 2-3 metres from any shrubs), and they form a trail to where the remains now lie, which happens to be right beside the more overgrown edge of the garden.

So really I'm wondering what might have done it, so I can maybe take steps to prevent it happening again? My instinct says cat, but in the 9 or so months I've lived here I've never seen a cat in the garden; not many of my neighbours seem to have cats. I did see a sparrowhawk sitting on my fence two days ago though. Does this sound like something they might do? I just sort of assumed a raptor would eat the whole bird and/or take it away with them rather than eat it on the spot. Unless it was disturbed mid-meal perhaps, but even then I assumed it would come back for it.

My other question is what should I do with the body? Leaving it there might mean something will come back and eat it, thereby preventing it killing another bird. On the other hand, do I really want to be attracting predators back to my garden? Can you throw a dead bird in your compost bin?!

Also would the sight of a small bird lying dead on the grass discourage other small birds from coming to the garden? Seems a bit slow at the feeder this evening. Or would they just tend not to really pay any heed?

Last edited:
Compost heap is a good place I'd say.

Maybe a little unpleasant, but a photograph could assist in identifying what took this bird, as well as the identity of the bird.

Maybe a little unpleasant, but a photograph could assist in identifying what took this bird, as well as the identity of the bird.

Ok, since you asked for it!

Actually on having a second look the wound is not as neat as perhaps I first thought.

Flipped it over to have a look at the back but seems like a lot of the primary feathers are gone. Third photo is of some of the feathers I found nearby. I'm guessing dunnock or robin.

Attachments

• IMG_8150.JPG
    IMG_8150.JPG
    354.3 KB · Views: 303
  • IMG_8152.JPG
    IMG_8152.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_8153.JPG
    IMG_8153.JPG
    225.1 KB · Views: 79
I'd guess the dead bird is a fledgling Starling. I'd also have guessed that the predator was a Sparrowhawk bullied from it's meal by Magpies. However... those feathers look more like they was bitten than plucked, so I'm now uncertain. Maybe someone with better eyes can be more sure.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back