• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Oil Sunflower Seed Hulls (2 Viewers)

Oriane

United Kingdom
After the Wild Bird store in my area closed down a few months before Covid, I have had to rely on Amazon for my bird seed. I feed Wagner's Safflower Seed and Wagner's Black Oil Sunflower Seed. The Cardinals like to eat both, but they make a mess with the sunflower seeds. Even though my feeders hang over a concrete slab, the seed hulls seem to end up everywhere including the grass and the garden soil. I have a soil sifter I have used for years to sort out stones, etc. from soil, but the sunflower seed hulls fall right through the sifter and back into the soil.

What type of sifter should I buy to sift out the seed hulls? Is 1/8" too large or too small? What size mesh should I look for? Thanks in advance for your help!

Absolutely true, EK_Birds, but the hulled seeds are so much more expensive. Prices have soared on the unhulled seeds as it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back