• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do hummingbirds count as BIFs?? (1 Viewer)

Keith, don't know if hummingbirds should be counted as BIF but what awesome shots. The 500 f4 must be the best birding lens, if only it was not so damned heavy.
Must say I was also very impressed with the 300mm f4 butterfly shots as well.

Photos absolutely stunning. Using two different lenses obviously shows excellent technique ... but more to the point ... the Hummers were in his backyard!!!

... saving up for a 500mm and better technique :-C

Just saw that they were all shot in jpeg - don't tell the RAW knockers because we will never hear the end of it. ;);););)

Naaah, just proves he was shooting in controlled "outdoor studio" conditions..!

;)
Yep - you are right Keith. For his butterfly shots he has two large pots with the right plants in and moves them around to suit the light and back drop. Just goes to show that a little planning goes a long way, this is probably my biggest failing because I just shoot anything in site and end up with c@#p shots most of the time. A lesson to be learned I think.

Yes, Yes, Yes.
Those are fantastic shots, I need to start setting up like that, instead of just taking what comes.
As one who takes shots of hummingbirds in flight, I definitely count them as BIFs. Those little critters are extremely hard to find with a lens when flying as they are extremely small, fast and maneuverable. Makes the 40D look even better for me.:'D

As one who takes shots of hummingbirds in flight, I definitely count them as BIFs. Those little critters are extremely hard to find with a lens when flying as they are extremely small, fast and maneuverable. Makes the 40D look even better for me.:'D

Considering you just won the BF BIF competition with your Jedi hummers (and an excellent shot it was :t:), I would have thought this was not in doubt. :-O:-O:-O

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back