• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Publications about bird ringing (1 Viewer)

kisiel1992

Hi :)
I'm writting a licentiate about bird ringing and I'm looking for a publications about it.
Do You know any sites with publications which can be used for me ?

I'll be grateful for Your help.

All the best in 2014 !

Michał Kizielewicz

Hi once agin :)
I found one publication about Hans Christian Cornelius Mortensen but it is in danish.
I don't know this language :/
Where can I find some information about him but in english ?

Hi,

You may want to start with this basic introduction about bird ringing/banding:

Cleminson, A., & Nebel, S. (2012). Bird Banding. Nature Education Knowledge 3(8): 1.

The article about the father of bird ringing that you are looking for was published in the proceedings of the International Conference on the Results and Perspectives of Bird Ringing” named “Bird Ringing 100 Years” that was held in Helgoland, Germany in autumn 1999. The proceedings of the conference were published in a special issue in the Ardea journal in 2001 (all articles are free, but you are requested to register by an email to download them). Here are some selected papers:

Preuss N.O. (2001). Hans Christian Cornelius Mortensen: Aspects of his life and of the history of bird ringing. Ardea 89 (special issue): 1-6.

Bairlein F. (2001). Results of bird ringing in the study of migration routes. Ardea 89 (special issue): 7-19.

Baillie S.R. (2001). The contribution of ringing to the conservation and management of bird populations: A review. Ardea 89 (special issue): 167-184.

If you search the titles of these articles in Google Scholar, you will find many more interesting papers that discuss bird ringing.

To celebrate 100 years of bird ringing in Britain and Ireland, BTO dedicated a special issue of its journal Ringing & Migration to this event (all articles are free to download). There are about a dozen of articles including:

Bairlein, F. & Schaub, M. (2009). Ringing and the study of mechanisms of migration. Ringing & Migration 24 (3): 162-168.

You can also see this paper from the 23rd IOC Proceedings:

Fiedler W. & Pulido F. 2006. S19-3 Bird ringing as a means for studying the evolution of avian migration — potentials, limits and prospects. Acta Zoologica Sinica 52 (Supp.): 345–349.

This review paper also discusses ringing among other things:

Greenwood J.J.D. 2007. Citizens, science and bird conservation. Journal of Ornithology 148: S77–S124.

This review article also discusses ringing in relation to bird migration:

Busse P. 2001. European passerine migration system – what is known and what is lacking. Ring 1-2: 3–36.

Good luck,

I just relize that you are form Poland, you can find information probably in polish about the old baltic expeditions, or ask to P. Busse, we will have a lot of stuff ;)

Hello :)
My friend told me about pick where are two picks with the same guy with the same ringed bird after many years...
Do you know this pick ?
I'll be grateful for help ! :)
Best regards,
Michał

Michał,
I must admit that your question seems a bit weird now.
Not because you wrote "pick" instead of "book" but because you are friend with Poles (on FB) who most likely easy can help you. AFAIK

Pozdrawiam,
Roman

PS: You can write me a PM in Polish what you mean with your last post and what the matter of those books are.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back