• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Ringing at North Luffenham Airfield (1 Viewer)

James Fennel

United Kingdom
Hello all,
I have seen a few rare bird sightings of Mealy/Common Redpoll being ringed at North Luffenham Airfield.
I was unaware that they did ringing there.
Does anyone know who manages the bird ringing, so I can contact them?
I'd love to join them on a trip or two and see if I could see any uncommon birds in my home county.

This is a very sensitive site for allowing people to enter. The ringer there has special permission and no other birders are allowed, not even the county bird recorder, etc., so you would have zero chance. The site has turned up quite a few local rare/scarce birds but there are many days when nothing 'unusual' will be trapped. As a Rutland resident, your best bet is to go birding regularly at Rutland Water and get to know the other regulars there and gradually you'll be in a position to find out info on the more difficult bird locations - basically, the kind of info you're trying to get here and another thread on owls which people will be reluctant to reveal in an open forum.

This is a very sensitive site for allowing people to enter. The ringer there has special permission and no other birders are allowed, not even the county bird recorder, etc., so you would have zero chance. The site has turned up quite a few local rare/scarce birds but there are many days when nothing 'unusual' will be trapped. As a Rutland resident, your best bet is to go birding regularly at Rutland Water and get to know the other regulars there and gradually you'll be in a position to find out info on the more difficult bird locations - basically, the kind of info you're trying to get here and another thread on owls which people will be reluctant to reveal in an open forum.
I don't if you know, but Edith Weston Airfield is public, I frequently find people driving along it.

I don't if you know, but Edith Weston Airfield is public, I frequently find people driving along it.
Are all areas of the airfield open to the public? As I understand it, the bird-ringing is in an area where there won't be problems with model aircraft, horse riders, dog walkers etc. Have a read of this https://northluffenham.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/mod-north-luffenham-wildlife-report - especially the acknowledgements on page two - and see if you want to try your luck with the local ringer.
Bird recording for the county is organised by the Leics. and Rutland Ornithological Society (for recording of all wildlife the two counties are counted as Vice-County 55 ) and any bird records you have for your new locality will be welcomed. Their website is: https://lros.org.uk/ members get a regular newsletter and an annual report where there's often information on birds that don't always make it onto the various bird news apps There is a whatsapp group run by members (though independent from the society) which posts news of 'good' county birds

Thank you, positive. Unsurprisingly an MOD permit is additionally required, as it still remains in MOD ownership, despite being an inactive airfield.

Link doesn't work for me Adey.
Sorry about that. The last bit of the link didn't copy over for some reason!

Since that report from 2018, Tim has recorded quite a few good birds at this site, and if access wasn't a problem, then county birders would have been 'all over it' years ago.

In general, with private or limited access areas, an approach to the site owners can sometimes mean birders can carry out projects there if they're to be used for genuine research - bird-ringing and, more recently, 'Audiomoth' sound recording come to mind, A few spots in Leics and Rutland come under those categories though none are open to birders just wanting to search out rarities

Since that report from 2018, Tim has recorded quite a few good birds at this site, and if access wasn't a problem, then county birders would have been 'all over it' years ago.

In general, with private or limited access areas, an approach to the site owners can sometimes mean birders can carry out projects there if they're to be used for genuine research - bird-ringing and, more recently, 'Audiomoth' sound recording come to mind, A few spots in Leics and Rutland come under those categories though none are open to birders just wanting to search out rarities
Good to hear, nature ( not tick hungry birders ) needs these areas to stand any chance and hopefully thrive in some form. And one or two stalwarts to watch over and record. And hopefully any surrounding land owners can get involved or realise what's on their doorstep. Best wishes.

This Tim, its not Tim Appleton is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back