• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New tripod (1 Viewer)

Paul Corfield

Thought I'd post a photo of the new tripod I got for Christmas. These sell on ebay for £43 with free delivery which is excellent value seeing as it's basically a copy of a Manfrotto design which costs more than twice this amount. My dad has the Manfrotto version and he couldn't believe how cheap this copy version is.

The tripod is very strong/rigid when in use and easily holds the weight of the scope and camera. I tested it out in very low light after sunset and was getting lots of sharp images hand held at 1/20 and 1/30 sec at 900mm equivalent. Posted a couple of hand held images taken with the Antares 1.6X barlow. The tripod comes with a removable ballhead mount which I've found to be fine so far but any standard tripod head can be used if needs be. I've got the friction set so that I can move it to the target but if I let go it wont move and as the photos show it works well with no user induced vibration at all at slow speeds.

Paul.

Attachments

• Tripod.jpg
    Tripod.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 246
  • Tripod2.jpg
    Tripod2.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 165
  • Tripod3.jpg
    Tripod3.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
ye gods !!! - 1 could never get anywhere near those low shutter speeds. Legs look good, and excellent value for the price.

Retitle 'your slowest shot'

Pah, beat yer.

Went looking through my archives and found this, no crop, 1/15th second :t:

Attachments

• robin1_15th.jpg
    robin1_15th.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 147
I had a few of the Dunnock that I took at 1/13th sec and they were about the same sharpness as your Robin so I didn't post them ;) The Dunnock is a twitchy bird and it didn't sit still enough for 1/13th but I'm sure if I'd stuck at it I'd have got some. I don't find 1/20th to be that slow though and I got around a 70% success rate the other day. At around 1/40 or higher I can get most shots sharp.

Paul.

Paul, are your shots and thornlv hand held, tripod support or tripod lock? What are your tripod's rating and height (without raised centre column)? How on earth can you get it so cheap? Do you have a software to track everything that's dirt cheap on ebay LOL ?

I am currently using a Cullman 2904 which is quite sturdy but not high enough that I have to raise the centre column almost full if I am to shoot standing up, thus making it wobbly. After failing to find one within my reach, I am embarking on building one myself.

Paul, are your shots and thornlv hand held, tripod support or tripod lock? What are your tripod's rating and height (without raised centre column)? How on earth can you get it so cheap? Do you have a software to track everything that's dirt cheap on ebay LOL ?

Height of my tripod without column raised is 55" which is about right for me (5ft 8") and only require a slight bend at the waist to see through the viewfinder. Weight capacity is rated at 4kg or 8.8lbs. I took the photo with the ball head locked but this still allows left/right panning and I was holding the camera to take the photos.

Before I buy anything I usually take a few days to hunt for the best value for money, look at reviews etc and I never buy the first thing I see.

The tripod I purchased can be seen here. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Heavy-Duty-Pr...cessories_TripodsSupports&hash=item35af348fc5

Paul.

I am using a Giottos 8261B carbon fibre tripod with either a Giottos VH6011 head or the Manfrotto 393 gimbal head. Tripod is very stable, the Giottos head can be locked horizontal and vertically whereas the 393 only on the vertical (but tension can be set in that there would be virtually no drift).

Full height of the tripod is 59 inch, giving highest viewfinder height at 66 1/2 inch - more than enough for me. I also usually use a cable release.

I too need a new tripod, and i think, after researching price and supporting max weights, and actual tripod weight, plus user reviews, i'm going to plump for a Slik 700DX Pro
Cheapest i;ve seen new in the UK is £89, but i will be looking for a 2nd hand unit

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SLIK-PRO-700D...cessories_TripodsSupports&hash=item5d2cc82db0

My 600mm f5 SW is 8.5lbs + whatever the Pentax K200D weighs with ext. tubes and somtimes with the DOI 1.5x TC i just bought

I already have a decent head in the Manfrotto 808RC4 which has balance springs

Bravo... everybody are arming up with strong legs. Pete, I think your set up need a land surveyor's tripod. I heard they only weigh in at 5 lb!!! Paul, yours at almost 3 Kg are indeed heavy duty.

I think the slik isnt too bad for weight combined with sturdiness

Dont forget my SW ST scope only weighs 1lb more than Pauls SW 80ED. Our cameras + extension tubes are going to be pretty much the same, so dont need anything sturdier than the Slik

Paul, yours at almost 3 Kg are indeed heavy duty.

Mines rated at 4kg. Not sure how the manufacturers arrive at their figures as it would easily hold a lot more weight. I guess they test them to breaking strain and then only use a small fraction of that as the recommended weight.

Paul.

Mines rated at 4kg. Not sure how the manufacturers arrive at their figures as it would easily hold a lot more weight. I guess they test them to breaking strain and then only use a small fraction of that as the recommended weight.

Paul.

I never knew how they comes up with that rating. Did read somewhere , how to calculate the tripod requirement. It's something like, combine the total weight of the equipment (lense, body, head etc) then X3 to get the load requirement. Such tripod within the load range will be able to hold the equipment in place without shake/vibration. For something long such as our scopes, the load requirement must be higher. The same thing goes for the ball head too.

Some tripod are well underrated. I'm sure your tripod should be rated as 8kg or more.

I,m fairly happy with my tripod, (now I`ve added an adjustable steady arm ) It`s a Velbon DV7000 with fluid head, which is intended for video camera work, but also makes panning and height adjustment beautifully smooth for the scope. Has clamps for each movement. Can be bought for around £90.I`ve put the adjustable steady arm on it, because like most tripods for camera work, I feel the thin main stem needs beeefing up a little to help stop scope vibration. I can unlock the arm, swing to any position, instant lock and then fine srew adjustment to final position. Obviously not for the quick shot but great when the subject gives you time.Tom

Got my tripod done..... Complete DIY. Very crude looking but sturdy. o:D

Attachments

• Tripod.JPG
    Tripod.JPG
    88.1 KB · Views: 140
Hello Thornly,

Sorry, but I cannot post images here because of some weird way my computer is linked up, but see here, in my gallery for photograph and description of steady arm.

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/70526

Arm has quick release or lock, or just lock enough to give a smooth steady elevation. Once locked, scope can take more weight, even if out of balance, and even though locked a fine screw height adjustment is still available via knurled collar.

Rod `B` slides into tube `A`and is locked with brass collar.

Tom

Hey, that is one fantastic arm. You could more than double the load weight the tripod is specified and yet still steady.

That steady arm is just how ( or very similar ) to the Manfrotto 359 steady arm, but i guess it cost a lot less than the Manfrotto, so well done - great piece of kit. ;)

Attachments

• MAN 359.jpg
    MAN 359.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 161
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back