• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How do you carry your scope/tripod around? (1 Viewer)

I've been using the Mondell Harness for the last two years. It's a cross-body webbing strap with a plastic clip on the end that attaches to a short strap around the tripod - forming a sling. An accessory waist strap is also available so it can be clipped to your hipl. Even without the waist strap it means the tripod can be carried eaisly short or long distances with scope attached and legs either extended or closed down whilst leaving both hands free. Retails for about £20 mail order.

I think they normally have a stall at the Rutland Bird Fair as well.

James Lowther said:
Imagine a rice crispie stuck to a watermelon using a blob of honey (how did i think up this analogy?). Imagine what would happen to the rice crispie if you picked up the melon. Now imagine what would happen to the melon if you picked up the rice crispie. The forces acting on the tripod screw are different according to how you are set up as the tripod and scope weigh different amounts, as postcardcv said. If the strap is attached to the tripod, the screw bears the weight of the scope, if the strap is attached to the scope, the screw bears the weight of the tripod. If one end of the strap is attached to the tripod, and one is attached to the scope....ah, that's where the limitations of my physics knowledge kicks in ;)

James
The exception being when using a Swarovski scope with the Manfrotto 128RC head, the scope foot fits into the head - rock solid - no need for a plate o:D

Since I have some pain/strain in my shoulder, I made some stitching on my backpack
and now I carry my scope and tripod, ready to use on my backpack.
I walk with the tripod legs, spread open, and in no time the scope is ready to use.
I adjust legs lengths according the terrain. Loading and unpacking is very easy (needs very little practice).
This way all the weight of tripod, scope, water, book and anything else (some kilo's)
are all spread mainly on my waist, and I can enjoy my birding even after some hours of hiking.
Tripod is more stable on the ground because of the extra weight and I'm left only with the binocular around my neck. (Camera bag is also attached to the trypod).
Need an extra one min before/after getting into/out of car.
Bear in mind this is not easy in thick vegetation.recommended.
Sassi

Last edited:
This thread has made me think and I think I'll try carrying the scope and tripod as seperate units. Each one came witha carrying strap. My Leica is a very heavy scope and it was expensive, I can't afford to replace it so caution seems to make sense. I think that I'm more concerned that the screw might work loose (it does tend to) rather than it breaking.

Blackstart said:
Hi Max-

I'm an advocate of the backpack-style carrier (Mule, Tri-Pack, etc.). Had the same one for over ten years.

Anyone who shuns them because they look "geeky" should try hiking in the mountains with a tripod resting on the shoulder.

-Adam

Since using one of these I've had a lot less shoulder/back pain from a full days birding so I'd swap that for looking 'geeky' anyday!!!!

And having a new scope with a securing pin on the mount also means I don't need to keep checking it still there!!!!

I think we've all be looking at this the wrong way...

When you play golf you carry your clubs on a trolly

Lets start something new and buy scope trollies !!

We could start wearing plus fours and checked sweaters and once we've spotted 18 rare migrants we can all go back to the clubhouse for a pint.

Sounds sensible?

Kevin

Kevin said:

We could start wearing plus fours and checked sweaters and once we've spotted 18 rare migrants we can all go back to the clubhouse for a pint.

Sounds sensible?

Kevin
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Kevin said:

Sounds sensible?

Kevin
Or just put wheels on two legs of the tripod plus a handle and off we go!

Last edited:
Hi all,
Thanks for all the replies.I noticed ay Cley and Titchwell last week that nearly everyone carried their scope/tripod over their shoulders.

Max.

Folks

May I just pose another question about the art of tripods, scopes and straps?

I have a Leica 62 on a 128RC head and Manfrotto 055 pod. I bought an Optech tripod strap but just can't obtain a perfect carrying / instant use set up. I have attached one end of the strap around the centre column of the tripod and for transport via car I am happy to wrap the lower end straps around the tripod legs as it was designed. But once in the field like every other birder I want speed of set up. Short of carrying with legs extended, over one shoulder (the tripod - not me in some weird contortion) what do folks suggest is best point of connecting the leg strap to the tripod when in the field? I have tried round centre column with top strap, round one leg only, and adding a split ring to the Manfrotto strap eye. All have pro and cons.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Regards

Mark

I too use the APO 62 with the 128rc head, I currently just put it over my shoulder, I have thought about the 'Scopac' and the 'Mule' but I like to have a proper rucksack on my back if I'm out on a days birding, because of scope lenses books etc etc, and I like to have the scope ready for action, I also have the scope in a everready case which has a shoulder strap so I suppose I could use that aswell.

any other suggestions welcome.

Mark b

I too keep my scope in an ER case - but don't feel that I want to have the weight of the tripod/ scope combination pulling on that strap - plus I'm concerned from reading other postings about the strain which can be put on the scope mount itself - especially as the 055 tripod is far heavier than the scope body.

I will carry my set up on my shoulder as you describe, but find it slows things down when you want to get bins' onto something in an instant as the scope has to be set down (or should that be up?) first.

mark b said:
I have thought about the 'Scopac' and the 'Mule' but I like to have a proper rucksack on my back if I'm out on a days birding, because of scope lenses books etc etc, and I like to have the scope ready for action,
any other suggestions welcome.
Hi Mark,

What about this setup.
The rucksack holds water, food and book.
On top, ready to use are scope lens digicam videocam or whatever you like.

Sassi

Attachments

• DSCN1881_NR.jpg
    DSCN1881_NR.jpg
    369.2 KB · Views: 248
  • DSCN1882_NR.jpg
    DSCN1882_NR.jpg
    391.6 KB · Views: 257
Blackstart said:
Hi Max-

I'm an advocate of the backpack-style carrier (Mule, Tri-Pack, etc.). Had the same one for over ten years.

Anyone who shuns them because they look "geeky" should try hiking in the mountains with a tripod resting on the shoulder.

-Adam

Uh, if there are people hiking in the mountains with tripods and spotting scopes, well, whatever makes them happy...But that is what binoculars were designed for.

The Mule

:t: I can thoroughly recommend "The Mule" available from www.cleyspy.co.uk

I ordered one yeterday afternoon & it arrived before lunch today! Brilliant service.

I have no connection with the company but thought they deserved some publicity.

Regards Bish.

I have been looking also for a safe way to carry my unit afield. The safest looking unit was a LowePro padded pack that I am sure would cost a small fortune but then so did my Nikon Digiscope. I have noticed when I carry it for a while it does get heaver even on my shoulder. The Mule looks great for open land or seashore but when one heads into the wild I think I would want the whole unit protect in the event of a slip. One fall is all it would take for a very bad day. Also noticed that I have had to retrace my steps to retrieve my lens cap think I will glue this on to a cord or some elastic on both sides. this is my unit and I want to keep it forever in good shape. work very hard for my money.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back