• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

terminology question... (1 Viewer)

bamabluebird

i was reading my books on bluebirds concerning the time involved from laying eggs to fledging. it mentions 6 days of brooding. what exactly is brooding? the book doesn't explain it.

Brooding is when the female (usually, sometimes the male too) sits on the young chicks to keep them warm, similar to when they're incubating the eggs. Brooding usually stops once the young start developing their own feathers, and need more food as they grow.

that's kind of what i thought it meant but i just wanted to be sure. i've got 5 bluebird eggs that should be hatching any day now. actually i think they should have already hatched. the first one was layed around march 27th. we've had some days where the temps dropped, especially at night. will that slow down the incubation time? mama bluebird seems to have pretty attentive to the eggs. so i'm assuming everything is ok.

cold weather wont slow down incubation, I don't think, as they need to be kept at a fairly constant temperature, so the external temperature outside shouldn't affect them.

so if mama did her job right, then they should be hatching soon. i read in my little book that incubation is 12-14 days and it's been about 18 days since the first egg as layed. should i be worried yet?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back