• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New to Swarovski - 10x42 EL Swarovisions (1 Viewer)

gc220

Hi all

I have finally purchased a pair of 10x42 EL Swarovision binoculars after saving up for what seems like a lifetime. I am happy and the clarity is excellent compared to the Bushnells that I was using before (although the Bushnells weren't bad).
However as a newbie to Swarovski I have a couple of questions that I hope more experienced users can answer for me:

1. I hear people talking about getting their Swaros serviced. Is there a set time period that a service 'is due' or is it just if the Binocular seems to be showing a deteriorating performance?

2. Should the focus knob feel like their is no resistance, particularly when going one-way, and slightly tighter when going the other way? Don't get me wrong, the freeness of the focus wheel may be a plus point, I just want to make sure this is correct, particularly as I have heard bout a 'focus problem with Swaro's'.

I just thought I'd check these points with you guys.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

cheers
Gary.

Congratulations to the purchase of such a fine bino.
Enjoy it and ignore the inevitable nincompoops and their comments ;)

Gary,

Just enjoy your excellent binoculars.

But, to give you peace of mind,

1. You do not need to have your binoculars serviced unless they suffer damage or there is a manufacturing defect, which would go under warranty. Defects are not common, Swarovski has very good warranty policies, and as for damage, the binoculars are much more rugged than your old binoculars were.

2. Your description sounds like what the focus action in these binoculars is and should be. There is a spring in the mechanism that keeps the focusing lenses synchronized when they move. So, focusing in one direction you are compressing the springs, in the other they are releasing their tension, and so the turning resistance felt by your fingers is not exactly the same. Some people dislike this characteristic of the focusing, but for most of us it is of no consequence.

Kimmo

Hi all

I have finally purchased a pair of 10x42 EL Swarovision binoculars after saving up for what seems like a lifetime. I am happy and the clarity is excellent compared to the Bushnells that I was using before (although the Bushnells weren't bad).
However as a newbie to Swarovski I have a couple of questions that I hope more experienced users can answer for me:

1. I hear people talking about getting their Swaros serviced. Is there a set time period that a service 'is due' or is it just if the Binocular seems to be showing a deteriorating performance?

2. Should the focus knob feel like their is no resistance, particularly when going one-way, and slightly tighter when going the other way? Don't get me wrong, the freeness of the focus wheel may be a plus point, I just want to make sure this is correct, particularly as I have heard bout a 'focus problem with Swaro's'.

I just thought I'd check these points with you guys.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

cheers
Gary.

Hallo Gary,

Congrets with your bin and welcome!!

Swarovski is well known for their service and warranty, so when ever you feel the bin does not operate like (you think) it should, they take care of you.

The focussing system of the SV is spring activated, what means that, by focussing, the spring goes in or out and that is all what you feel.
It comes with the package.

Enjoy.

Jan

Gary,

Swarovski has the best warranty in the business, so when and if your SV ELs need service, you should have no worries.

I would like to know more about the focuser, though, even at the risk of being called a " nincompoop!" While what Kimmo and Jan wrote about the one-way spring is correct, and you will feel slightly more resistance while turning the focuser knob in one direction than the other, it should not feel "like [there] is no resistance," which is how you described the focuser.

In fact, I'm surprised to read that since, if anything, some people have complained about the focuser on their Swaros being too tight, although in most cases, it seems to loosen up with use.

But I have never heard anyone say that their Swaro's focuser lacked enough resistance. I had that problem with my first sample Nikon 8x32 HG. It lacked proper damping, so it had some backlash and I had to keep my finger on the focuser at all times to keep it from accidentally moving out of position, and when focusing, it was too easy to overshoot targets. It was frustrating to use. My second sample was much more precise, but still too fast turning for my taste (slightly less than 1/2 turn from close focus to infinity!).

The focuser wheel should have enough dampening to avoid backlash (i.e., the focuser turning in the opposite direction after you let go of the knob) or turning too fast that it makes it hard to achieve fine focus.

If either of those are the case, you might be using that great Swaro warranty service earlier than you expected! Hopefully, that's not what you meant about your EL's focuser, and that it just turns easier than what you had been used to with your Bushnell.

Brock

Hi Gary,

Use it often; every day and every chance you get for a month. If it has any problems they will show up during that period of time.

You now own one of the best! :t:

Bob

Gary:

I agree with the others who have posted positively above. You have just
purchased one of the best binoculars available today.

Just ignore Brock, he would be the only one you found posting regularly
here on Birdforum about any issues with the Swarovski binoculars, and it
seems he has not even had any experience.

You would only need to send any binocular in for service if they need it.
The focuser is well designed and should work well for you.

Jerry

Gary,

Swarovski makes fantastic optics, so use yours well; my older 10x42 WB EL (non-SV) looks a bit worse for the wear, but still provides nice images.
I have always found Swarovski focus knobs... odd. They aren't 'bad,' but mine sort of feels as though it 'slacks'. However, it always seems to land right on target and not move around when I remove my finger. I've found that what you mention seems to be the norm with the SV binoculars I've tried.

Swarovski's warranty service is second to none and I'd say send it in any time you feel something is 'off'. My focus-knob originally seemed to 'grind' and it now works fine aside from the 'slack' I mention.

Happy birding,
Justin

Regarding Jerry's comment, I've used five Swarovski binoculars, two for a month each, and he should know since one of them was his! It was the original EL with the slow focuser, which was so stiff it took two fingers to turn in one direction. Still, I appreciated the opportunity to try it and was impressed by the optics, though the coatings lagged far behind the 2009 8x30 SLCneu and 2009 8x32 EL that I also tried.

The SV ELs should have as good or even better coatings, however, the focusers employ the same spring mechanism as the older ELs and SLCs, so it doesn't matter that I haven't tried the SV EL, the same principle applies, as Kimmo's and Jan's comments testify.

I was just curious about someone stating that the focuser knob on his bin has NO resistance. I'm surprised I'm the only one who picked up on that comment. A focuser must have some dampening or it's useless spinning wheel.

However, I asked the OP to clarify his comment, because he may not have meant it literally, perhaps the EL's focuser seems like it has no resistance compared to his Bushnells. We don't know, and that was the point.

Anyone who has read Jerry's posts on this sub-forum regularly knows that if he has no problem with his binoculars, he invariably advises the member who is questioning an issue with is bin that he should have no problem with it either. There are other members who often respond in the same manner - if it doesn't bother them, it shouldn't bother anyone. I sometimes see such comments on other sub-forums, but not nearly as often as I do here.

If we've learned anything from reading these forums, it's that "one man's meat is another man's potatoes." What someone might find perfectly acceptable, another might reject. We've also learned that sample variation is common. What is true of one sample might not be true about another. Each case has to be considered on its own merit rather than with absolute pronouncements.

Only within such an open-minded framework, can fruitful and open discussions take place. When we dismiss others comments because they don't match our own experience, or worse, dismiss them with ad hominems, it's counterproductive and defeats the purpose of these forums.

<B>

Last edited:
Gary,

My 8x32 SV focus has lower resistance than my 8.5 SV. Quite low in fact. They both work just fine, no backlash or anything.

Combined years of use for the two of them? 4.5 years. Amount of time I have spent thinking about the Swaro focus? Ugh, only when I stop by Birdforum. :smoke:

I'd suggest you just enjoy them. I seriously doubt you'll give it a second thought after that.

But if you do Swaro will take care of you.

Mark

Hi All

Thank you to each of you for reassuring me of my concerns, I am now sure that I have nothing to worry about, I just wanted to check with you guys as you all have experience of these Binoculars where I did not.

Having now used them (although not as much as I'd have liked due to rain,rain and more rain!) I am very happy with them.

Regarding the focus-wheel:
Brock, you have called it correctly; I should have said minimal resistance compared to what I was used to with my old Bushnell's, rather than no resistance.
Certainly I have not seen any issues with backlash or moving out from my desired focus.

One further question if you all don't mind:
I got the Swarovski Cleaning kit free when I bought the binoculars.
Do you all actually use the 'liquid cleaners' on your lenses?
I have always been a bit wary of this...

Anyway thanks to for all of you for taking the time to answer my queries.
Cheers
Gary.

One further question if you all don't mind:
I got the Swarovski Cleaning kit free when I bought the binoculars.
Do you all actually use the 'liquid cleaners' on your lenses?
I have always been a bit wary of this...

Gary.

Hi Gary

I am a Zeiss fan-boy and use the Zeiss cleaning kits which come with a liquid cleaner too.

I only use the cleaner if breathing on the lens and wiping it with a micro-fibre cloth (after first brushing off any 'bits') has failed to clean the lens properly.
And I would always apply a drop of cleaner to a clean microfibre cloth and then wipe the lens.

I would never squirt or drip cleaner directly on the lens as although bins are usually water proof you never know where the cleaning fluid might be able to go (it could be more penetrating than water) or what it might do to any rubber or plastic seals. Best to be cautious and apply the cleaner to a cloth.

Lee

After having ALOT of different binoculars I have come full circle and have come back to Swarovski. I truly feel they make the finest binoculars you can buy. Their service and warranty is legendary. And no matter what Frank says I say " YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR". You will never be sorry you bought the Swarovisions.

After having ALOT of different binoculars I have come full circle and have come back to Swarovski. I truly feel they make the finest binoculars you can buy. Their service and warranty is legendary. And no matter what Frank says I say " YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR". You will never be sorry you bought the Swarovisions.

With you, Dennis, it is more like a never ending spiral.;)

With current binoculars, you most certainly do not "get what you pay for." A $2500 Swarovision is not $2000 better than a Leupold McKinley HD. A $2200 Zeiss Victory HT is not $1200 better than a Zeiss Conquest HD. A $2100 Leica Ultravid HD is not $700 better than a Leica Trinovid, which in turn is nowhere near $400 better than a Zeiss Conquest HD (I'd say the Zeiss is better, actually). Things like the Conquest HD and Meostar HD are not really $500-600 better than the Zen-Ray ED3 or Leupold McKinley HD, either.

blah blah diminishing returns blah blah

Happy birding,
Justin

Last edited:
With current binoculars, you most certainly do not "get what you pay for." A $2500 Swarovision is not $2000 better than a Leupold McKinley HD. A $2200 Zeiss Victory HT is not $1200 better than a Zeiss Conquest HD. A $2100 Leica Ultravid HD is not $700 better than a Leica Trinovid, which in turn is nowhere near $400 better than a Zeiss Conquest HD (I'd say the Zeiss is better, actually). Things like the Conquest HD and Meostar HD are not really $500-600 better than the Zen-Ray ED3 or Leupold McKinley HD, either.

blah blah diminishing returns blah blah

Happy birding,
Justin
" A $2500 Swarovision is not $2000 better than a Leupold McKinley HD". After having the McKinley HD and the Swarovision I would have to disagree. The Swarovision to me is worth the difference. It sounds snobbish but in reality it depends on how much income or money you have. HaHa! If your Bill Gates the $2K difference is pocket change but if you are making $10.00 an hour yes the $2K is a lot. What something is worth is different to different people. If you can afford it it always is nice to get the best. If you can afford a Swarovision why mess around with a McKinley when you know the Swarovision is better.

The reason I choose the McKinley or Zen-Ray as opposed to dropping another $2000+ on an alpha is that it's not really worth it. Are there optical and build improvements on the alphas? Sure. Are there $2000 optical and build improvements on the alphas? No way. I spent a lot on my original WB EL because, at the time, I was not knowledgeable enough and was under the impression that "you get what you pay for." After extensively testing them with other binoculars, I can clearly see that this is not true; you simply don't get the increased performance that you pay for. I'm sure that back when B&L and Leica and such were first releasing their roof prisms that you truly did "get what you pay for," but nowadays with Chinese outsourcing, awesome warranties provided by several companies, and simpler manufacturing processes, it is not necessary to pay premium prices to obtain premium performances.

How you value something may of course change, and maybe that slight increase in performance is worth that steep price increase, but in real terms, you do not get a 1:1 ratio in terms of price:performance and so you cannot truly say you "get what you pay for" in regards to binoculars.

All the best,
Justin

I agree the gap is closing. But there is still that gap that others are willing to pay.
There is a visible difference if your willing to pay for it.
Bryce...

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back