• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

skipper Spain (1 Viewer)

Steve Babbs

Hi

Part of me is tempted to start ignoring all but the obvious butterflies in Europe because every trip is followed by much scratching of the head and then giving up and asking for help.

Can anyone help with this skipper phtographed near Potes? It was at fairly low altitude.

Thanks

Steve

Attachments

• skipper uds_rsz.jpg
    skipper uds_rsz.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 60
  • skipper ups_rsz.jpg
    skipper ups_rsz.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 58
The spotting at the rear of the hind wing and the chequer pattern also at the wing edge, suggest that it's a regular Grizzled Skipper to me.

Tough one, underside looks close to a 1st gen Red-underwing, so does the upper wing actually?

A

Last edited:
The spotting at the rear of the hind wing and the chequer pattern also at the wing edge, suggest that it's a regular Grizzled Skipper to me.

Tough one, underside looks close to a 1st gen Red-underwing, so does the upper wing actually?

A

I swear European butterflies are far harder than South American flycatchers.

The fine spots along the margins of the upper wings indicate that the butterfly belongs to the genus Spialia rather than Pyrgus.

The most likely species is therefore Red-underwing Skipper (Spialia sertorius).

However, just be aware that recently the genus Spialia has undergone revision, and it is now reported that there is an almost 'indistinguishable' species found flying alongside the former in Spain...Spanish Red-underwing Skipper (Spialia rosae).

http://biologiaevolutiva.org/rvila/Lab/Publications_files/prova.pdf

Perhaps I should just stick to looking at two-tailed pashas and emperor species! This skipper looks disticnctive but I'm still struggling. Sorry no underwing photo. It's from Somiedo NP.

Attachments

• somiedo skipper_rsz.jpg
    somiedo skipper_rsz.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 49
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back