• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wings Over Winecountry, Colleen's place (2 Viewers)

Ha Phil you just want an excuseB :)

....well thanks for all the cheers, the poor pastel died last night, I worked too much on a spot on the head and the pastel came off in chunks and won't be repairable....so have to start over and the birds will have to wait....sort of a downer for the 1000, but have to get back on the horse when you fall off.:-C

Thanks Guys!

Ha Phil you just want an excuseB :)

....well thanks for all the cheers, the poor pastel died last night, I worked too much on a spot on the head and the pastel came off in chunks and won't be repairable....so have to start over and the birds will have to wait....sort of a downer for the 1000, but have to get back on the horse when you fall off.:-C

Thanks Guys!

You will eventually free yourself of this!

Because everybody else needs you!

A Buddhist once told me,

"Get a new horse, perhaps...?"

But, then, I am one...;)

thanks Phil I hope so....the new one at least had the advantage of all the learning from the last one, and a better comp, at least an easier comp. Have 4 days to the deadline, the last one took 10 days.....so this is a race now....
I guess in a way I took the monks advice and got a new horse:)

Horses and buddhists...? [chuckle]....!

Colleen.......you will soon be 'riding' in harmony....no worries.....[and who knows where your 'horse' will take you]?....it's just a ride after all....:t:

All the best......!

thanks for the votes of support here, one nice trait I have at this stage of my artwork is not being attached to a work( except very very rarely, maybe one piece every few years) after its done, but always passionate about the next one. So have a start and will see if I can get this one home, we're having a reasonable ride so far.:gh:

what a triumphant portrait - everything works so well and the colours and tones are so perfectly observed that it seems so real.

yes going to be right down to the wire, so far so good.

took a break today when my new kitten, brought in her first trophy Darn! was hoping she would be like the other cat and just hunt rodents, but did not want to waste it. I've seen these hawking over the pasture( I think) moving so fast can really tell, a first for me common yellowthroat. lovely little jewels and such tiny tiny feet and legs...this is actual size. Gluing a few feathers in the book has given it great status with the kitten...I drew as is with out much tail left.

I miss you all, hope to catch up soon...

Attachments

• yellow-throat_2203.gif
    yellow-throat_2203.gif
    194.3 KB · Views: 39
So sorry about the Yellowthroat Colleen...

But some fine recording and montage of a passed bird.

Always a great opportunity to record, as all great bird-artists have done. The addition of the feathers is "science I admire."

This is a recording of a life passing to help others find the living beauty.

And that is commendable. Thanks.

yes going to be right down to the wire, so far so good.

took a break today when my new kitten, brought in her first trophy Darn! was hoping she would be like the other cat and just hunt rodents, but did not want to waste it. I've seen these hawking over the pasture( I think) moving so fast can really tell, a first for me common yellowthroat. lovely little jewels and such tiny tiny feet and legs...this is actual size. Gluing a few feathers in the book has given it great status with the kitten...I drew as is with out much tail left.

I miss you all, hope to catch up soon...

Saw 10 of these, and their slightly less colorful female counterparts, on a bird census this Saturday. They moved so fast and seemed so small I kept thinking that they were hummingbirds, until I actually got them in view in my binoculars.

I hate to see your cat get such a trophy, esp. as I'm sure there's much duller birds around. But when you get an opportunity like this you should take advantage just as you've done. Very nice work.

Very nice record of an unfortunate bird.

Cats are beautiful creatures and they're only behaving as they were made, so you can't blame them for following their instincts, but it's such a shame that they can't be trained to use binoculars and not their claws!

Mike

Great illustrations of the now departed yellowthroat Colleen...:t:

ps....i remember many times in the past when i tried to rescue a bird from the jaws of my cats....and as much as it pained me...i never blamed my feline companions for doing what came naturally...:cat:

All the best....!

Yes it's such a shame, she was a feral kitten I rescued and tamed( just me, she won't let anyone else near her) and living in a tiny cottage I can't keep her in, theres lots of rodents here and her mentor showed her what to do, I can only hope she prefers those. She's out roaming all day and part of the night, only comes in (like a teenager with a car,) to eat and run out again. Comes in around 9-10 and plays like a lap cat, sleeps all night then when I get up it out out out!

There are 37 acres and no one ever sees her so I don't know where she goes. I guess I can try a bell... There are several cats here and hawks and lots of other wildlife, so it's sort of fend for yourself. I've never had a feral cat,
maybe semi feral would be more like it, they were dumped at a park and were not in bad shape, but it was all claws and fangs and hiding for a long time to tame the 3 of them down.

Yes - please try a bell, Colleen - I've tried reasoning with 'our' cats to no avail - but the bells do work (one weighing about a kilo would do the trick - no doubt).
Lovely little bird and a sensitive record. I like the pasted down feather idea, too. Nice.

what a firecracker of a bird - it's like watching the last glowing ember of a fire until it burns out. Always a shame when it happens, a bell could help. Beautifully done sheet of studies that at least makes the most of the event. That yellow really sings!

Well another one bites the dust..( pun intended) again close but no cigar....I think I will have to go take a class, I'm just clueless, I know whats off, but don't know how to fix it. In this case it's the mouth...everything else is passable. Oh well at least it's over...sent it in anyway....but not sure it will be in time.

I may try the next one in paint as I don't have enough colors in pastel for all the value changes I see. ( yes there will be a next one, I just hate not being able to do something:C that I want to paint ) There's lots of stuff wrong all forgiveable except the mouth which is like no way,

Im free but not victorious, back to birds and cats for a while..

also a photo of the lethal assassin Pixie, in her fav resting pose, only the young can do that.

Attachments

• emma on the couch wc 6 21_2213.jpg
    emma on the couch wc 6 21_2213.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 36
  • pixie flat_2207.jpg
    pixie flat_2207.jpg
    139.7 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Colleen,

It is a marvellous piece, and a sumptuous study in light and colour.

Pixie on the other hand? She doesn't look like a killer? Are you sure the Yellowthroat didn't succumb to natural causes?

If only you could see the child you'd know the pastel sucks! Oh well I just signed up for a portrait class with a really good teacher( you know I'm stuck when I resort to teachers:-O) Ongoing once a month and really cheap, just my style..

Yeah I'd like to think she picked it up, after all she's been out for a month and has never brought home a bird....but you should see her when she sees one, instant panther in the jungle, all civilization gone!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back