• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cinereous-like Great Tit (1 Viewer)

Maffong

Today I saw noticed a pair of Great Tits along the roadside that looked different from most other Great Tits. They were much greyer with both the yellow belly and the green back colored much duller. They actually reminded me of Cinereous Tits, so I quickly drove home, got my camera and returned. Unfortunately it began to rain and the birds were much harder to locate or photograph this time.
I wonder if others have observed similar birds and know how this could be explained. I don't think I've ever seen birds this dull before. Attached are 2 pics of the female, one picture of the male and a normal colored Great Tit from the same site

Maffong

Attachments

• IMG_0563 (2).jpg
    IMG_0563 (2).jpg
    112 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_0581 (2).jpg
    IMG_0581 (2).jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0583 (2).jpg
    IMG_0583 (2).jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0601 (2).jpg
    IMG_0601 (2).jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 17
Id say this is well within the range of body colour for Great tits, believed to relate to the birds diet and general health and well being. Certainly I have birds at my feeders that look like this. I agree though the range of colour from dull pale yellow, almost dull olive, through to bright yellow is quite striking when you see them together.

Mick

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back